1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips for beating a Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BlancoTaco08, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jun 19, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    I just got to work. Sure enough people passed me the whole way here. Blah blah blah. Fact of the matter is you were right, I "played" and I certainly paid. And I don't think all Denver cops are POS. I've actually been getting really good gas mileage with my new style of driving so that's a plus.

I just don't like getting knocked for something when others are doing the same thing and getting away with it. Maybe a form of jealousy I guess.

2. Jun 19, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    nytmarecoma88

nytmarecoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma
    Tonnuea Tint euro Tail lights halo head lights billet grille- black debadged black powdercaoted 17's "knight rider" mod aero turbine exhaust black bull bar multicolor halo fogs
    become friends with a mechanic, i got out of a 78 n a 55 by having a friend `check' my spedometer, judge believed it, i got off

3. Jun 19, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Wow..."Lied" in open court. Congrats on getting out of your ticket. :rolleyes:

4. Jun 19, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    To hell with all this "man up & pay the ticket" shit. Fuck that! You'll keep paying for 39 months to your insurance company until it goes off your record & if you get any more then you'll have the habitual offender shit crawling up your ass & they'll try to suspend license even if all tickets paid. Please don't start with the 36 months because DPS lags 3 months. IF you have taken defensive driving in the last year then go pay a traffic lawyer & he'll reset it for 8 months down the road. Cop won't show & it'll be dismissed OR he shows & you just go for deferred adjudication where you can't get another ticket for a few months then it goes away. Get another one then you have to pay both. IF you have NOT taken defensive driving in the last year then go to your court date & ask for defensive driving. Pay court costs then take onlinedefensive driving.com for 25.00 at your leisure at your house & take them your certificate within 90 days & done - nothing on driving record & you get 10% off part of your insurance when you take a copy to them. Just pay the ticket, FTMFL....LMFAO!

5. Jun 19, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    THAT's the way to take responsibilty for your actions. :bananadance: I guess that is more the norm these days...sad.

6. Jun 19, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

I was just being sarcastic...I hear ya though. It's tough when you get singled out and it seems everyone else is speeding. BUT, they won't care if you get a ticket...you can only take care of you and your actions. Do I speed? Yes, sometimes. Do I realize I could get a ticket? Yep. Wouldn't be all pissed at the cop though...just myself.

7. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    NO, Sad = People with multiple DWIs that still have a valid license, regardless of whether they move to different state.

Sad = People driving around with no insurance & fucking around all of us with increased ins costs.

Sad = Any non-citizen with a valid driver's license

Sad = Outrageous gouging by city, state, & insurance for some minor offense without harm involved. (less than 20 over limit & NOT in school zone)

Sad = Potential for losing license even when taking responsibility for actions & paying for your tickets (while multiple DWI havers still roll around all legal)

Sad = You thinking taking defensive driving or employing a lawyer for said simple offenses is irresponsible.

Sad = DPS taking 3 months extra to clear shit from your record after 3 yrs.

Sad = This being irresponsible but not holding Toyota responsible for 4 yrs of shitty parts on our trucks.

Sad = no consistency in logic.

And before you go off on some safety tangent, 99% of any tickets I've ever gotten were on frwy or interstate moving with other traffic about 12 over posted limit. No boobs = no slack either even when using sir & all the other appropriate cop friendly language/actions. I take it like a man & deal with it how I see fit without continued future fuckings monitarily WITHIN THE GUIDELINES OF CURRENT LAWS. That is being responsible.

8. Jun 19, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    kmrofka

kmrofka Im so hungry i can ride a horse...

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Prerunner SR5
    Stripped down to the frame
    GET THE COPS NAME!!!!!!! some cops are assigned to go to court that day and deal with all traffic issues. so it appears there is a cop there but it has to be YOUR COP on the ticket

9. Jun 19, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Good lord, where's that huge chill pill.:rofl:

Bottom line, if you chose to speed, you could get a ticket. If you get one, man up and pay it as you were obviously speeding (does not matter what everyone else was doing, that is just petty whining). Take the traffic class if available. But otherwise, change yer panties and get a grip. You EARNED the ticket so pay up. Those who weasel their way out of it are just sherking their responsibility by blaming someone else. THAT is sad.:evil:

10. Jun 19, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I don't need no fucking pill, no fucking whining about nothin, duh no shit-speed & you can get a tkt?, I'm different I wear underwear not panties, & I ain't sherkin shit, I have paid for plenty of tkts in the past but no more & I don't blame shit on others that I've done, that's a different generation's game. You're the one whinin about me not havin to pay a tkt & it being disposed of in other LEGAL ways. I hire the weasels, sure I'll play the game too, why the fuck not.

11. Jun 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    and then we wonder why the system is like it is...:rolleyes:

I speed on occasion, I've gotten tickets, I've paid them and dealt with the consequences. I didn't try to game the system, or hire some weasel attorney to try to minimize my stupidity. :sadviolin: Man up.

12. Jun 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    BlancoTaco08

BlancoTaco08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow, I didn't know I was going to get people so fired up over this...I will likely take a defensive driving course just to get rid of this ticket and save a little bit of cash at the same time...

13. Jun 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Please elaborate on how this is any less responsible than hiring a lawyer to respresent you in court.
    Me paying the lawyer just spreads the money I still have to spend around instead of it just going to the city/state/county & ins companies for over 3 years. The city/state/county still gets your court fees, application fees to request defensive driving/driving record & ridiculous cost for parking & ins company still gets same every month, the def driving class gets theirs & lawyer got his.
    If the city/state/county doesn't see fit to send a witness(cop) to the court date then my case wasn't important enough for them to be concerned with is my take is on that. Then the lawyer still gets paid, city/state/county still get parking money & ins still gets same monthly payment & I'm out less money & free time.
    Are they not irresponsible & sherking by not having cop show up? I use the same system that is used against me, for me, in the manner that I am allowed to by said system. That is not irresponsible, that is not sherking, that is not whining, that is not putting anything off on anyone else, that is not weasling, that is simply utilizing my options within the established laws.
    OK, let's say I just pay the tkt. The city/state/county gets your fine & parking money, the ins company now gets 15% more of a part of your ins cost each month for 39 months until DPS gets around to removing it from your driving record, you have points or bad marks that can pile up against you some other way, lawyer gets nothing, def driving gets nothing. Any additional oopses & ins cost go way up & then there's fines & both take away mod money for the truck or other hobbies/leisure activities or to pay bills or buy food for 39 months so that doesn't work for me.
    I didn't make the laws & that is a completely different issue to agree to disagree on which is what we seem to have to do on many & is OK by me. Everyone has their right to their own opinions, way of interpreting life & choosing their own path & facing up to consequences if lines are crossed. Just because someone does it a different way within the established rules set up for all doesn't make it irresponsible or the right thing for all. I have no problem whatsoever with you paying every tkt you ever get, that's your deal. I simply posted up alternate, lawful, responsible ways of handling it without being taken to cleaners on 3 fronts for over 3 years & my opinion of just paying & paying needlessly. Irresponsible & not manning up is when warrants are issued for you not handling your business in some fashion that is lawful & satisfactory to the court.

14. Jun 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    good grief...:rolleyes: :deadhorse:

15. Jun 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    or this one:
    [​IMG]

16. Jun 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yeah, can't qualify your own contradictory post so break out the non answer. Why not just go with a empty ass whatever?

17. Jun 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    WTF dude...you got a friggin problem?

I never said anything about taking a defensive drivers class being NON responsible. That's part of paying your dues and taking responsibility of your stupidity. Getting a weasel lawyer to get you off on the other hand...sad. Get a friggin grip already and step away from the bong.:crazy: You are beyond reason and obviously looking at your intestines at this point...I'm done, not worthy of debate.

18. Jun 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :laugh:

19. Jun 19, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    In Missouri, it's a huge business. They have Ticket Fix stores in every other strip center staffed by lawyers that got through law school with D's and F's. You pay them a fee structure based on the offense (usually $250-$500) and they go to court and get the ticket dismissed for you. This is what happens in states where they award you "points" for each offense. People pay to avoid the points. You still pay, but you don't get points and in theory you insurance doesn't go up. It's a "legal illegal" racket set up by the lawyers and judges. Lot's of graft involved.

20. Jun 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i haven't been pulled over for speed for quite some time...but used to regularly. in my experience, the odds of getting off with a warning depends on which LEA pulls me over...Sheriff's Deputies...been pulled over 3 or four times...never cited. State Highway patrol...pulled over twice....let off once, cited once. City Cops...never been pulled over for speed, but once for not having headlights on :rolleyes: and got a ticket for it. i did have the markers and fog lights lit, but didn't depress the switch fully (was an Olds with a two position push button switch), was driving on lit city streets and didn't notice.
    the SHP Officers...the time i got off, i was not speeding drmaticaly...maybe 5-7 over in 35-45 mph zones. i was on the other side of town when my stomach began to feel like it was going to explode. i'm not a germ freak, but not a fan of gas station restrooms either...so i was making good time trying to get home to handle the situation...couldn't make it and ended up tunring off early to go to a buddy's house. i guess my face said it all. lol i calmly told the officer that i was "sick" and only trying to get to a facility...he let me off.
    the second SHP officer had came cruising up on my ass on a two lane hwy at a very high rate of speed, then proceded to ride my ass with his brights on. i thought someone was *ucking with me, as i could not identify the car b/c of his brights. so i dropped two gears and took off. i made it to 82 before his lights came on. got a ticket...didn't argue...though it was HIS fault that i had sped up. i was going the speed limit prior to him suntanning the back of my head. glad i didn't break-check him lol

my SOP when being pulled over:

-try to find a bad spot to pull over (near a corner, or blind hill) if you can slow down, or back up traffic, he may just check paperwork and send you on your way
    -use signal when pulling off
    -turn on hazzard lights when stopped
    -remove keys from ignition and place on dash
    -place hands on steering wheel, palms up and open
    -have license & paperwork at ready ( i keep mine above the sunvisor)
    -never admit that i didn't know how fast i was going or what speed i was traveling at (automatic guilt)
    -always use the term "Officer" when speaking to the LEO (an old man is a Sir, these guys & gals work for a living)
    -make eye contact when speaking, but not too much (incites hostility)
    -offer a reason as to why i was speeding if prudent
    -try to make small talk if i get taken back to the cruiser (this is total improv, depending on the situation)
    -mention where i work (we sell supplies to most of the outfits here in town, and my bosses are buddies with most of the lawyers and judges in the county)
    -don't own a bright red vehicle...i swear they are magnets
    -lastly...seem very dissapointed with myself that i got pulled over in the first place. (which i usually do anyways)

it seems that i have the luck as such, if i do much of anything wrong, i'll be pulled over for it...whereas i see 50 assholes a day doing things much worse than i would ever think about that never seem to get any attention from the police. (when i speed, it's rarely anything more than 10mph over the posted limit). that's what grinds my gears when i get a ticket.

i had a stretch from 17-18 where my car payment was $225/month, and my insurance was $290--F that sh!t. :D

just be sure to show respect to the LEO, and conduct yourself in a polite and friendly manner...you might just get a break from ol' Johnny Law.

also...if you have TV in the car...play Super Troopers...cops LOVE that movie! lol or maybe some Junior Brown on CD:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x_wLVCLPx0M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x_wLVCLPx0M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Products Discussed in

To Top