1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips for getting first motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Superman, Apr 5, 2018.

1. May 15, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    TacoJohn4x4

TacoJohn4x4 Captain Save-A-Ho

Member:
    Central Valley
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma DC 4x4
    10+ years of riding and many different bikes so I'll throw out some pointers.

Buy new used or used especially if this is your first bike since your are more likely to drop it. Like a truck, once you purchased it you'll want to do some maintenance to it so you'll learn more about the bike sooner. Any mistakes or scratches you make to your bike will be less stressful than doing it to a brand new bike.

A bike is more like a expensive hobby, it's not something you get to save money. Again this is the most misconception people have. If this is your only vehicle and means of transportation that's a different subject. You still have do you maintenance to it, oil changes, tires (are not cheap), brakes etc just like a regular car or truck. You have to pay registration and get insurance for it which is also not cheap. You have to buy at least a helmet, gloves, and jacket, again, not cheap. Say you buy a used bike at $6000, insurance $600/yr, registration $100, gloves $100, helmet $300, jacket $200, that's $7,300 out of your pocket already. These are conservative numbers and will change on what type of bike (new or used) you buy, gear you want, and your driving record/age.

Now lets go into actually riding it. It's another vehicle you need to get gas for even though it does get better mileage. Speeding tickets are very easy to get when you can go from 0-60 mph in about 3 seconds, 60-100 mph in a twist of a wrist. Going 60 mph feels slow to normal, on the freeway going 85 mph feels like 65 mph. There's two types of rider, ones that have fallen (maybe more than once) and ones that will fall. You ride long enough and you will eventually fall and hopefully it's nothing crazy. I been fortunate not to have any medical bills. If the bike is not total it could get costly. I've done anywhere to a few hundred dollars to over a thousand dollar in damages. It's very hot in the summer having your legs between a hot engine and the sun beating on you. It's very cold in the winter when you are riding having that cold air push against you. If you ride in the rain, which it's not advise regularly, be prepare to get very wet (duh). Depending on your work it can be a hassle to ride it to work. Going shopping or getting grocery, probably not unless you limit it to stuff you can carry in your package or saddle.

I like Shoei helmets, they "fit me". KBC are my go to secondary helmet. Alpinestars for my jackets, boots, gloves, and suit. I also have some Dainese gear.

After saying all of this, which I'm sure there's more to it I haven't mention, it's still a very fun and enjoyable experience. There's just something about it, the feeling once you're riding, you'll just have to experience it first hand. Enjoy.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    AR15xAR10 likes this.
  2. May 15, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 #blackriflesmatter

Member:
    Heh, wouldn't you like to know
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to my build thread (click signature picture)
    So thats like saying, If i was only interested in one type of riding, i’d only be interested in the type of bike that was best for it.

Which is what i mean.

I can still enjoy the limitations of a small bike, because i have a bigger bike too.

The only way i can see people “out growing” a bike is if they can only afford, are only able to store, or can only justify, one bike.

3. May 15, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 Ohio Member

Member:
    Gotcha and totally agree. It's my understanding that this thread is about getting one bike

AR15xAR10 likes this.
  4. May 15, 2019 at 12:29 PM
    btcca4

btcca4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get something light, something you can throw a leg over easily. Get a dirt bike or a dual purpose bike, then STAY IN THE DIRT FOR A YEAR OR MORE! Learn how to ride, crash, skid, jump, wheelie & crash some more. When you can throw a leg over any bike & ride with total confidence in the dirt, you are ready for a street bike. Generally mistakes in the dirt end up with bruises. Mistakes (yours or others) on the street usually end up in the ER. MSF safety course is must, but 2 things they won't teach you. How to physically ride a bike & how INSTANTLY switch your brain into life saving evasive manuever mode. This only comes with experience from your off-road adventures. You'll know when you're ready. Enjoy!

5. May 28, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    BenevolentMachination

BenevolentMachination Active Member

Member:
    Ground Zero
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 3RZ 4WD Xtra

Last time OP wrote on this thread was April 2018; still the education here is timeless. @Superman, your thread has officially been jacked.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  6. May 28, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    HerT4R

HerT4R 4RUNHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Her
    EPTX
    Vehicle:
    2010 4RUNNER
    I only pay for mods that I can pay for today #PaidOff 5160/6112 Bilsteins SSO Hybrid Bumper w/ Shrockworks Fairlead Shrockworks Step Sliders Shrockworks Skid Plates Interior LEDs Fog Light Anytime MOD LS460 Projectors Retrofit w/ Osram CBIs Tigershark 9.5s Superwinch Trail Toys NSA box AOB: dual ARB Dashcam F/R dual battery on demand rear/front cams rear diff breather On the way: new front coilovers w/ heavy springs dual battery wiring & isolator underhood rewiring (InProcess)
    Thanks for posting a very informative video in this thread.

TL;DW:
    1. Bike (too big 1000cc CBR for him who was straight out of his MSF course)
    2. Skill (his skills werent ready to be pushing it and doing 3hrs on a twisty mountain road, risk threshold)
    3. Courses (more courses, besides the basic MSF starter course, before pushing past your risk threshold, get ttips, tricks, supervision, and feedback from the trainers)
    4. Practice (practice what the trainers have taught you to do and focus on, practice, practice, practice, then practice some more)
    5. Gear (dont cheap out, your life is worth good gear, buy good stuff and wear it ALL THE TIME, EVERY TIME, no excuse is worth your life)

Products Discussed in

To Top