1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips for Selling a Vehicle

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by Toy4Life, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Dec 17, 2008 at 7:50 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life [OP] 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    This is great information guys. This stuff will be helpful to many people.

2. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  3. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:52 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Sorry to hear your truck is up for sale, but understand you gotta do what is best for you and your family. There is always another Toyota wanting for you on the journey right?

When selling my stuff its cash or certified bank check. Cash is for smaller stuff like 3k and under. Over that its a local bank check. Most reasonable folks understand, those that don't well, that's a red flag. After I know the funds are in my account, the title gets signed over & plates removed if its a vehicle.

All my craigslist ads have the disclaimer on not accepting sight unseen offers, shipping companies, money orders etc. You can some off the wall offers on craigslist but between that site and cars.com I have had the best luck.

Also I am somewhat leary of strangers coming over to my house. Call it paranoid or what have you but usually I'll meet them somewhere in public the first time especially if its off craigslist. Some "buyers" have other agendas like scoping out their next heist. Once met in person, you judge how serious someone is.

Good luck with the sale Toy.

4. Dec 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    dont accept check as payment. if they need to write some sort of check, have them take out a money order or cashiers check. that way you KNOW the check will clear.

here are a couple of tips for selling:

-When you place your ad, PUT WHAT MILEAGE THE TRUCK HAS. I hate when I have to call a person to find out the mileage on the vehicle. Save them the hassle.

-Know the ins and outs of the truck. If they ask you a question about it, have an answer.

-Know all the areas that are damaged/worn/scratched/dirty/smelly/anything. When the person comes to look at the truck, show them all of these problem areas. Explain to them you want to be sure they know what they are getting, and you are not there to rip them off.

-When they show up, show them around the truck and point out the flaws, as well as the good points (like look, no rot or rust in the wheel wells) before they walk around the truck themselves. Cut off their chance to find flaws and reduce price for it.

-Print out the kelly blue book page and keep it in your pocket. If they try to lowball you, you have proof that the truck is worth what you are asking.

-Let them test drive it, and insist that they do if they dont want to. When they do drive it, go with them.

-Assuming the truck runs great, DONT start it and let it warm up before they get there. Show them the truck starts well, even in the cold.

-CLEAN THE VEHICLE BEFORE SHOWING IT.

-Be confident when speaking with the buyer.

-Do not call the miles highway miles. Miles are miles, plain and simple (my pet peeve)

Thats a few off the top of my head. I have had much success with these tactics. Also, using some of these points helped me get GREAT deals on buying cars.

Dominik

5. Dec 22, 2008 at 9:16 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    If it's a personal check, I would go to the person's bank with them and open an account with their check. The bank can verify it immediately. Then transfer it out at your convenience. Even if you call the bank to verify their current funds, it doesn't mean it'll be in there by the time the check clears.

6. Dec 26, 2008 at 9:58 AM
    Flyin' Squirrel

Flyin' Squirrel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Longbed 4X4
    TRD Sport, 3" Revtek suspension lift, Borla exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Westin chrome nerf bars, Moto Metal chrome rims, limo tinted rear windows, Devil Horns grill emblem, extra bed D-rings
    After agreeing on a price I always had the buyer meet me at the tax office (courthouse or wherever your state's location for title transfers might be) to complete the title transfer in person and right away. I made the mistake of signing over a title once and the new owner never had the vehicle re-registered in his name. I started getting his unpaid parking tickets sent to my house. Same could possibly happen with toll road fees or automated red light tickets. If you do end up just signing the title over, do like xedge said and keep the license plates. That way they can't drive it until they get it re-registered. In Texas you can keep your old plates and register them on your next vehicle.

7. Dec 26, 2008 at 10:34 AM
    06Bluez

06Bluez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Icon Coil-overs, TC UCA, with Bilstein 5150 and Icon 3 leaf pack. 17" Moto Metal 951 4.5" Backspacing wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG AT's. Demello front bumper and Avid offroad sliders.
    I have been in banking for a long time and have seen everything. Do not accept personal check, cashiers check, money order, bank check, etc.. Anything of that sort unless you physically saw a teller initiate the cashiers check/money order. These checks are very easy to counterfit.

Do all of your business in your buyers bank. The title will have to be transfered by you and witnessed by a notary anyways so might as well do that and the get the check at the same time in their bank. If possible take the payment in cash because a cashier check or money order can have a stop payment placed.. Actually for that particular item since it has already been paid its called a check indemnification not a stop payment.

8. Dec 26, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life [OP] 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Haven't sold the truck yet. I appreciate the information, it will be invaluable when a serious buyer comes along.

Products Discussed in

To Top