1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips for washing undercarriage?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Badwin45, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Nov 2, 2015 at 12:45 PM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
  2. Nov 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM
    Wasatch

Wasatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simple green and a power washer works really well! Get on all fours and go after it. Looks like the device you're looking at eliminates the need to look under the truck, but keep in mind that doing it with a basic sprayer you'll also have an opportunity to see damage/leaks/or worn out parts.

3. Nov 2, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    TexasPreRunner

TexasPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Antonio/Houston,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    The sprinkler that waves back and forth works pretty well

patbegley, TacomaMike37 and Arailt like this.
  4. Nov 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    I made a undercarriage washer out of 3/4 PVC. Basically it looks like the letter T and attaches to the garden hose. Drill a line of small holes in the T part and get a hose attachment from Home Depot and you set to go. Works good. Everything cost around 10 bucks. Look on utube, that's where I got the idea.

image.jpg

image.jpg

5. Nov 2, 2015 at 1:01 PM
    Tacoma SS

Tacoma SS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 09 on 35s
    Boost and flex and 35s
    Cool

6. Nov 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I have a 3100 PSI pressure washer and the surface washer. The wife likes for me to wash the driveway and patios once or twice a year...

As for the sprinkler: I suppose if you had enough clearance, you could use a rain train traveling sprinkler with the jets aimed up.

I change my own oil so I'm under the truck 6-7 times a year anyway.

7. Nov 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    Harley2

Harley2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    15 Super White Double Cab 4x4
    Hmmm, I just take mine to the hand wand part of the carwash throw on some pull over rain pants and go to town. In the winter I pull her into the garage at work and clean her up with a garden hose set to a high pressure stream? We have a floor drain in the garage for this purpose.

8. Nov 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Is there anything under there that is in the least bit delicate? Can I just take the high pressure wand at the car wash and go to town?

I did that a couple months ago, but didn't get close t anything. Just kinda kept the wand at a distance. and now my leaf springs have been squealing terribly ever since.

9. Nov 2, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    that's what I use when needed

jbrnigan likes this.
  10. Nov 2, 2015 at 5:04 PM
    Harley2

Harley2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    15 Super White Double Cab 4x4
    The wand is what many folks use, particularly those of us in the snow/salt belt. Its perfectly fine, spray away. Many drive through washes also have a high pressure undercarriage wash which is ok for a simple quick rinse. Your squealing leaf springs should have nothing to do with washing your undercarriage unless someone had used a spray on liquid penetrating grease between the leaf springs to quiet your already squeaking springs sometime in the recent past. Lots of threads on the common leaf spring squeak which most all either have or will get. actually keeping the dirt sprayed out of the springs will help decrease squeaks.

NMTrailRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Nov 2, 2015 at 5:50 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Thanks. Yeah I've read lots on TW about the squeaky leafs. This was the strange thing- I have a 2014. Been driving it for about a year. No squeaks. A couple months ago I washed the undercarriage with the wand and immediately upon driving out of the wash bay, I heard the first squeak. If anything, it's gotten a little worse since then.

12. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    I tend to agree with several in our heavily salted area who take special precautions in the fall to treat their cars and then just rinse the undercarriage. The idea is to neutralize the salt and brine and not power wash under too high pressure. They feel it drives water and salt up into drain holes and the salt material deeper into the hidden areas of the frame and body members. I don't disagree and would recommend the washers that just spray rather then produce a lot of pressure like a pressure washer. One guy in particular has cars and trucks that get through our winters for decades totally rust free. He knows what he is doing when his 25 year old winter car is rust free. He believes in frequently rinsing rather then occasionally power washing.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  13. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    spitdog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If you use fluid film on your frame, a power washer can remove it pretty quickly.

14. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    jstchilln

jstchilln Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Ks
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Tacoma Sport
    None yet
    Sprinkler. I've used one for years and went 15 years on my old T 100 with out a spot of rust. I always spray up under the fenders with the garden hose and let the sprinkler do the rest. I also open the front doors and spray into the hole at the top of the fender. This flushes out at the bottom of the fender and leafs and gunk that can stay wet and sit and rot come out. Any place salt can sit I spray good.

spitdog and NMTrailRider like this.
  15. Oct 18, 2022 at 1:36 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated

16. Oct 18, 2022 at 1:37 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    is there a link for this on YouTube ?

17. Oct 18, 2022 at 1:40 PM
    spitdog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    There was 7 yrs ago when I made it.

18. Oct 18, 2022 at 1:57 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Wow - that was fast. If you happen to have the link please post. I searched and found some others but not this one. Thanks.

19. Oct 18, 2022 at 2:07 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Thinking about getting this for cleaning under the truck and to remove mud/dirt before hand washing exterior.
    [​IMG]

20. Oct 18, 2022 at 2:16 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top