1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips on Painting Fender Flare

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacoma1007, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Oct 20, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    Tacoma1007

Tacoma1007 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Machine 13
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma v6 4dr TRD Sport
    Short Ram Intake with K&N Air Filter Camper Shell Tinted Windows Rain Guards 2 2.5/5V USB 2 port chargers (Below AC Knobs) AC Control Knobs Change to round knobs from VIOS (02-06) Valentine One Radar, hardwired.
    So I didn't do a good enough job of painting the fender flare on my driver side and now it's starting to have air pockets and chipping off.

the best advice on how to resolve this?

2. Nov 28, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    LDX

LDX Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Aftermarket clazzio leather seats, WeatherTech floor liners
    Sorry if this is too late. Just got some flares and came across this. Anyway, I have some painting knowledge having worked in an art department for a time. Anyway, you will have to chip all the loose paint away. And then clean and decrease those areas that bubbled up to begin with as they had some sort of contaminant that did not allow the paint to adhere well. Painting is all about the prep. The actual painting that shows off all that prep is about 10%of the job. So,if it were me, I would probably remove as much of the original paint job that do not stick well and then degrease it all ,then use an adhesion promoter, then a plastic primer and then finally repaint.Yeah,it's a lot of work even starting from a raw unpainted flare. I was thinking of actually paying a shop to do it for me because I figure they'd have all the equipment to get it done better ,faster than myself at home. Whatever you decide(d),good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top