1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tips on painting grill

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jeeezy, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    jeeezy

jeeezy [OP] jeeezy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    07 dbc long box speedway blue
    custom cold air intake 4 inch tubing, MBRP dual catback exhaust, readylift leveling kit with 265/75-17 on eagle alloy rims
    just painted my grill black did everything i thought i was supposed to, sanded it primer then paint, this was about a week ago....just noticed the paint flaking off:mad:

2. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Use plasti-dip next time mon.

3. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    noooo plasti-dip = fail :(
    its cool for a while but it just comes off after rubbing on it and you have to worry about being careful with it. do it right. just re-sand, re-primer and everything. what paint did you use?

4. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    Here's what I used and these are things that were recommended from a paint shop so its not really available all around but they said these 3 things are the best to use. Middle can is the color matched spray so you can ignore that but the other 2 are important. Did you clear it as well because thats really what keeps it from chipping.

[​IMG]

5. Apr 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    gotta sand the primer before you spray it. Plus, rattle-can paints DO NOT have the adhesion that pro-grade paint does, so yeah, chipping is gonna happen.

Sand it all down again with some 600 grit paper. Don't sand through the primer, just scuff the primer, and sand the black down all the way. Then re-spray. It'll last longer this way, but at the end of the day, it's rattle-can paint. You get what you pay for.

6. Apr 17, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    TmecTaco79

TmecTaco79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Escondido,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner 4x2
    Bilstein 5100's, 33" BFG AT, Magnaflow
    Did you use any adhesion promoter? I think that might also have something to do with it chipping off.

7. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    jeeezy

jeeezy [OP] jeeezy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    07 dbc long box speedway blue
    custom cold air intake 4 inch tubing, MBRP dual catback exhaust, readylift leveling kit with 265/75-17 on eagle alloy rims
  8. Apr 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    TmecTaco79

TmecTaco79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Escondido,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner 4x2
    Bilstein 5100's, 33" BFG AT, Magnaflow
    I'm not sure if that's why it's chipping but that might be why.

9. Apr 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    I haven't painted my grille yet, but I did a dodge grille and some side steps, usually I sand blast them to remove the chrome and pit the grille then use adhesion promoter/primer and some good acrylic enamel paint and they're good to go!

10. Apr 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Surface contamination will also result in the paint flaking/peeling.

Before you sand, clean the part, when dry wipe down with paper towels soaked with denatured alcohol and allow to dry. Do the prep sanding. If you don't clean the part prior to sanding, any dirt/contaminants on the surface will be sanded into the surface of the part and the paint job will have flaws. Clean again with the denatured alcohol. DO NOT touch the area that is getting painted with any part of your body. Body oils will contaminate the surface and the paint job will fail. Prime, lightly sand the primer, and guess what..... clean it again with the denatured alcohol. Apply the color coat and clear.

Cleaning the surface prior to applying paint is just as important as any other step, and it's a step that many people forget about.

11. May 3, 2011 at 2:21 AM
    Country

Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    I got tired of my black paint chipping off so I said fuck it and just used a rhino liner type of paint, it worked out pretty good for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top