1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire chains or snow tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 45acp, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    45acp

45acp [OP] Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    I am moving to SE Wyoming in the next few months. From what I understand, we'll be dealing with more ice than snow in this area. I've read WY's chain law and it looks like I have the option of either 4wd, snow tires, or chains on closed roads. Or a combination I guess?
    Anyway, what's the best option (or combination) for icy conditions?
    Any recommendation for a particular brand of chain or tire?

Thanks

ETA:

Here's the WY chain law-

31-5-956 (e) Tires, restriction of travel under hazardous conditions; penalties

When the chain law is in effect due to snow, ice or other conditions, travel on a highway may be restricted to use only by motor vehicles utilizing adequate snow tires or tire chains, motor vehicles that are all-wheel drive or necessary emergency vehicles, including snow plows. In extremely hazardous conditions, travel may be resticted to use only by necessary emergency vehicles, including snow plows, and those vehicles utilizing tire chains or to all-wheel drive vehicles utilizing adequate snow tires with a mud and snow or all-weather rating from the manufacturer having a tread of sufficient abrasive or skid-resistant design or composition and depth to provide adequate traction under existing driving conditions. The prohibition or restriction of use shall be effective when signs, including temporary or electronic signs, giving notice thereof are erected upon that protion of the highway, and it shall be unlawful to proceed in violation of the notice.

The operator of a commercial vehicle shall affix tire chains to at least two (2) of the drive wheels of the vehicle at opposite ends of the same drive axle when the vehicle is required to utilize tire chains under this subsection......

31-5-956 (j) -Penalties - Any person who operates a motor vehicle in violation of these restrictions under subsection (e) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a penalty of not more than $250.00. Any person who operates a motor vehicle, where the results of the violation is an incident that causes the closure of all lanes in one (1) or both directions of travel of that highway, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a penalty of not more than $750.00.

31-5-956 (k) - As used in this section, "tire chains" means metal chains which consist of two (2) circular metal loops, one (1) on each side of the tire, connected by not less than nine (9) evenly spaced chains across the tire tread and any other traction devices differing from metal chains in construction, material or design but capable of providing traction equal to or exceeding that of metal chains under similar conditions.

2. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Snow tires. Our trucks have issues clearing chains on the front end.

3. Sep 14, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    general61

general61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR
    Hi

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  4. Sep 14, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    wow. what a crappy thread (personally). I just reserved a cabin in the snow this coming January and now I gotta figure out how to get up there. lol. Any suggestions? Im running Mud Tires which suck in the snow, so Ive heard, and Im lifted 2.5 inches.

5. Sep 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Depends on how deep the snow is. Mud tires can actually work really well in snow. Just like mud, air down and paddle it.

6. Sep 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    In some cases tire chains may be required on all 4 wheels on a 4X4 vehicle even when equipped with good all weather traction tires. It happens from time to time here in Washington state crossing some of the mountain passes.

7. Sep 15, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    general61

general61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR
    hi

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. Sep 15, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Regaurdless of tires and/or 2X4/4X4, I always keep chains with me. Better to be over prepaired than not having them. You can pick up Chains at Les Schwab for like $70.

9. Sep 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Well that's great to know but my main concern is local enforcement. At this time of the year, BIG BEAR MOUNTAIN usually requires chains or 4x4 or else they don't let you pass. So I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm gonna do. I'd hate to buy snow tires and use them 2x/yr.

Products Discussed in

To Top