1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire chains required???

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Yoytoda, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Dec 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    When I plow, I use chains on the Tacoma. Low profile, V-bar type chains work great. If you get thicker chains, the potential exists for them to rub against the mudflap when you turn the steering wheel hard, especially if your tires are beefier that the stock Dunflops.

Don't drive over 25mph on chains. It's like asking one of them to break and take out your brake line.

2. Dec 23, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    stop reading through some of this but incase people are wondering.. i put a set of Z chains... or cable chains on the front of my truck the other day to bust up a 3' deep driveway.. they cleared everything just fine...

3. Dec 24, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    ^^^^ see my other post... two up from yours.

4. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Where I live it's the locals you have to worry about. There's alot of 4x4 lifted I'm compensating for my little wee-wee large diesel monster truck wannabes here that think they can go anywhere at any speed in any conditions.

5. Nov 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda [OP] The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    thread revival...

we got 3" so far in big bear and its supposed to snow until tomorrow. 6-12" expected.

There is only 3" so far and i went out to get some coffee and there are people all over, off the road, accidents, etc. pretty pathetic. Then on the radio they said 4x4s are even required to chain up.... this is stupid!!! i was still driving the speed limit in 2wd while jerking the wheel trying to skid or anything... nothing, no problem. passing people left and right in 2wd. These people dont know how to drive. I now understand why they require chain however stupid it is.

also, FWIW the duratracs do kick ass in the snow. But i wouldnt hesitate to rock the stock dunflops in 3"s of powder

6. Nov 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    flocktothewall

flocktothewall Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Redlands, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC, TRD OFF ROAD, WHITE
    I was born and raised in Blue Jay, CA.. now I live in Redlands right up against the foothills, and I frequently visit the mountains. It's amazing every year, to see the people who "Think" they can drive in the snow. Usually its 3 types of people, guys with Big Chevy's who think they're 4WD, Tourists or flatlanders who try to sneak by the chain stops, or... teenagers who think they're invincible. Every year, every day there is snow on 38, 330 or 18 some dummy gets stuck, finds themselves in a ditch, or hits a tree. That's why there are chain laws.

Here in Cali, especially around the valley's of the mountains, when it rains, people forget how to drive, and drive faster on the Freeways, when it snows, they think it's the same, until they find a hill, then they find out it wasn't. The roads aren't necessarily dangerous, the people are. Last year alone in Big Bear, I had to dodge 2 cars as they came down a hill backwards, and I got rear-ended by some kid who thought he could stop. The hill before Barton Flats, and right at Onyx summit, yeesh, people just loose it. But I love SR 38!

Whatta gonna do about it right?

7. Nov 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda [OP] The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    pretty much... it is annoying they kinda just make up their own lanes. one car somehow can take up 3 lanes because of his lack of skill. you are right, the flat landers are absolutely useless when it comes to driving skill. ive seen them eat shit driving up and down the mountain on a 75 degree sunny dry day... they do not know how to drive...

8. Nov 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    flocktothewall

flocktothewall Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Redlands, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC, TRD OFF ROAD, WHITE
    Thats the best, a 3 or 4 lane highway becomes 1 lane! Haha

Products Discussed in

To Top