1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Pressure and gas

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by surfsupl, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:29 PM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    Chris,

I understand what you are saying about the chalk mimicing tire wear.

My point is that you are mimicing tire wear in a unrealistic way. What you are doing will show you exactly how your tire will wear in a parking lot at very slow speed, in a straight line with low tire temps.

How your tire wears under the above conditions are very different than how your tire will wear at highway speeds and normal operating temps.

As far as the dragster tire, I know that was kind of a extreme example. I was just trying to make a point.

With your above statement in mind think of the following 3 questions.
    If you overinflate a normal street tire by 20 psi how will it wear?
    Now if you underinflate the same stree tire by 20psi, how will it wear?
    Now ask yourself, are you changing the shape/contact patch of this tire???

I respect your opinion and also the opinion of ridgerunner, they are just different from mine.... no harm, no foul. :)

2. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:47 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It is in no way Unrealistic. The point of this method is to accuratly determine the tires propper "cold" psi, for THAT vehicle at THAT weight. "Cold" psi for a tire should allow the contact patch of the particular tire to have an even contact with the road. I.E. equal ground pressure from the inside tread to the outside tread. Useing Chaulk allows you to see where you're tire is not contacting the ground, and therefore adjust your psi accordingly. Unless your psi is already too low, which is why you should start at a higher psi and work down.

Like I stated before, we are talking about COLD tire psi.
    Here, you are going to extremes to make a point that I am not seeing. Yes, Overinflating a tire is not good. Yes, Underinflating a tire is not good. What I was trying to explain to you, is that when the tire is at the PROPPER psi, you will not see a significant increase or decrease in size. Have you watched a street tire spinning at 100+ m.p.h.?

Im trying to figure out what your opinion on finding the propper tire psi for a given tire/vehicle combo is. Please tell us.
    FWIW, I have used this method with tires of all kinds and in many conditions, including hauling heavy loads, towing trailers, and when adjusting/ tuning cars for SCCA, solo 1 and 2.

3. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:57 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    FWIW, my method of determining tire pressure is by far NOT a simple way. And, it is NOT wrong. Im still waiting for you to tell me otherwise., :)

4. Jul 2, 2008 at 2:22 PM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    Well maybe that is where I was confused. So you know a way to figure out the proper "cold" pressure for tires. I will remember that the next time I put a vehicle in storage. You did not mention "cold' pressure until the last thread.

Extreme, I asked three simple questions and you answered none of them. If you had answered the questions maybe you would have got the point.

Have you measured a street tire going 100+ m.p.h.?

This was me trying to be nice and agree to disagree.

5. Jul 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Rachunter,
    Re read my posts. Slowly. You have not given any more input to this thread than to say that I am wrong. I am starting to feel as though I am trying to convince a child. You dont like what I wrote and do not want to post what you feel is a better way. I have answered your questions and given examples. Do a search on the method I listed, then give a LOGICAL argument, with a PROBABLE solution, rather than say things like " I will remember that the next time I put a vehicle in storage?" I HAVE seen tires at high speeds. I havent mesured them as I stated earlier that the differences in size are insignificant. If the way I determine cold psi for tires is incorect, PLEASE tell me what is correct? :frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

6. Jul 2, 2008 at 3:04 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
  7. Jul 2, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Hey rac-you do Not express an opinion here. You criticise Chris' method. Then you offer No alternative method. Then you use HIS signature to slap him in the face as if to say "practice what you preach". Sure you are entitled to an opinion here! WHAT IS IT???? Sure you can critique Chris' chalk method! WHERE"S THE ALTERNATIVE METHOD YOU USE TO PROVE HIS IS WRONG???? If you cannot answer the two simple questions here, then you are critisizing just to be critisizing! Waste of time:(

8. Jul 5, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    Imrubicon

Imrubicon Wife thinks I am done Modding truck

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Access 4X4 SR5
    Shhh! the wife thinks I dont do mods on trucks anymore

These methods are what is common on the Jeep BBs as running oversize tires you can not follow the door sticker.
    I have not done this yet on the Tacoma but they loaded the tires at 29 and they are too soft for sure.
    Now they ride really nice but I can tell by looking they are low for the weight they are carrying.
    The new nubs on the tires wore off on the outside first

9. Jul 5, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I know I should stay out but here we go.

The chalk method works because if you check your tires frequently. No matter how your tires wear when you check them in the mornings with the chalk method it will show how they have worn for the last week no matter how you drive, then you compensate your psi to accomadate the shape your tires are taking.
    It is just faster to chalk your tires then to walk around looking at them and trying to figure out what psi you think should be in them. That is my take on the whole thing. I agree with all parties here seeing as how there is almost always more than one way to achieve the same answer. Thanks for the input I have learned a bunch here, and will be applying it to my truck form here on out, wether it increases my mpg or just the life of my tires.

10. Jul 5, 2008 at 5:13 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    WHAT??!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? HOW DARE YOU..just kidding:D now get outa here LOL

11. Jul 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I'm back and according to me and only me I went from 60psi to 50 in front and 53 in the rear. whew.

12. Jul 5, 2008 at 5:33 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    luk whats your max tire pressure allowed on the sidewall?

13. Jul 5, 2008 at 10:17 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    65psi max if i'm not mistaken I usually run 5lbs less than what the tires call for.

14. Jul 6, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    WOW-Ive never run across tires w/ that high a max-just curious:)

15. Jul 6, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    BFG T/A KO 65psi max cold. 33"

16. Jul 6, 2008 at 6:57 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The tires on my Ram max at 85. :eek:

17. Jul 6, 2008 at 7:01 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Whats the deally w/that Chris-does it take that much to "fill out" that tire's construction? How come mine are only 35?

18. Jul 6, 2008 at 7:08 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    My Ram is a 3/4 ton. I tow a 11,000 lbs. Toy hauler, and a 14,500 lbs. 5th wheel. Those tires are designed for the weight. Your tires are probably good for 2000# each. It should say on the side wall. LT, tires are "Light Truck" usually good for hauling 1000# or more weight, not for towing heavy trailers, or carying 3000# in the bed. :)

19. Jul 6, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Shoot I shoulda figured that-Im gettin senile:eek: Thanks Chris.:)

20. Jul 6, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    lol!

Products Discussed in

To Top