1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tire pressure monitor 101

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by gvidas, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Apr 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    gvidas

gvidas [OP] Member

Member:
    western NY & coastal oregon
    Vehicle:
    essentially stock trd sport
    stock
    Just got back from 30k service at a dealership. ~50mi away from their shop, my tire pressure light starts blinking. Five more miles and it goes on steady. It had been on for a while before I went in for the regular service, and I had assumed one of them was de-synchronized or whatever because I had to replace a sensor after splitting a valve stem trying to get the chrome caps off during the winter.

So, my questions are:

- What does the tire pressure light actually mean? Is it comparing current pressure to a set standard, or some relative change off a calibration point, or is it just saying "one tire is much lower than the rest"?

- What's the margin of acceptable variance from tire to tire? I bought an old fashioned dial indicator and it showed ~3-4psi difference between all the tires (this at about 70mi away from the dealership.)

- Previously, I've re-inflated tires and not seen the indicator light go off. How is this thing meant to be used? Can I just disable it and be proactive about tire pressure? It mostly seems to make me lazier, all "oh well, it's blinking now, whatever; it did that for a while before, too." Another latent bit of guilt, all oh hey another dash light is on.

Thanks.

(edit: 2007 4wd accesscab v6)

2. Apr 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    first, did you check your spare tire, and did you push the button down below the steering wheel, that will reset the monitor. I think the light will go on with a vairience of 5 psi. I would check your spare then push the button below the dash, it's next to the hood release. It's going to blink everytime you start the car, just put a black piece of electrical tape over that light like i did.

3. Apr 23, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Also...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/20315-disconnecting-tpms.html

Can someone else clarify...flashing tpms=problem with a sensor?
    :cool: Hope this helps and I'm sure others will chime in.

Edit: checked the owners manual....and blinking tpms light means there is a problem with the system which would need to be checked at the dealer.
    Page 164 in my manual....under the section that explains all the dash warning lights.

Products Discussed in

To Top