1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tire pressure sensors =(

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by OldG, Jul 9, 2009.

1. OldG

OldG [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    pinetree air freshner and 285 Goodyear mtr kevlars
    having a heck of a time tryin to get the tire pressure warning light to go-away , and its bugging the heck out of me

here is my story, I just installed some some MTR 285's the recomended pressure on this "E" rated tire is 80 psi , because the tacoma is a much lighter truck at 4,000 lbs it doesnt require that type of psi so i had them installed with 60 psi, I wanted it much lower but played it safe with 60, anyways no sooner than the tires were insalled that the tire pressure indicator came on in the dash.Talked to a few people and was advised to have whatever toyota recomends for tire pressure for stock tires and use that for new tires regardless of size " recomended 29 psi" .So now i droped all 4 tires down to 39 psi and tried to reset the indicator by puching the reset button till it blinks 3 times slowly let up on it leave the power on for a few minutes then turn off for a few minutes like the manual said.....the warning light still comes on!!!

help me out what an I doing wrong? do i have to drop the psi more?

2. Brunes

Brunes abides. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    Yeah...I wouldn't drop the pressure that low if it was me....and the spare is a good place to start.

The reset makes all the tires "the same"...So if the spare is a different pressure- It won't fix the light.

3. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    First, use the chaulk method for determining tire pressure. The psi listed on the sides is the MAX psi. I run E rated tires on my Truck, and Im running 32 psi front, and 30 psi rear with no probs.

4. Brunes

Brunes abides. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    Damn...I forgot about that..
    all this postwhoring is turning my brain to mush....:cool:

5. SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner SR5
    SOLD!

This is what I did and it worked good for me. I have a set of E range all terrains that also recommend 80 psi. They have all four been set to 30/32 for the last 20k miles with no ill effects. In fact the tires have held up MUCH better than I ever expected.

Also, the ride is Horrible anywhere at or about about 45 psi.

Just my 2 cents. :D

6. OldG

OldG [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    pinetree air freshner and 285 Goodyear mtr kevlars
    thanks for all the helpfull replys guys, I didnt know the spare tire had to be equal with the the other tires ! I'll bump it up to match the others, try it for awhile and see how the tread wear develops, I want to make sure I get even tread wear

7. Brunes

Brunes abides. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    Use the chalk line test that Chris was talking about to determine the right pressures for the rolling tires first.

8. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
To Top