1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire products that don’t shine?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Da Voke, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Jun 18, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    CoolieTaco

CoolieTaco Active Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma Limited
    303 Tire Balm for me also. Lasts for several weeks, no glossy shine

2. Jun 19, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    Tacotruck7

Tacotruck7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner Dbl Cab 2.7L
    I like car pro pearl a lot.

ace96 likes this.
  3. Jun 20, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    Da Voke

Da Voke [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCLB Sport (Stolen and recovered)
    Gonna try some 303

757 Taco likes this.
  4. Jun 20, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Good luck. Let us know what you think.

5. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:41 AM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    Wish they made that in a wipe on or liquid you could apply with a foam applicator pad.

6. Jul 6, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar

I am impressed with it so far. Applied 3 weeks ago. Applied a little heavy (operator issue). After some rain the shine is gone but left with a black natural looking tire.

CusterFan and Brownie_Man like this.
  7. Jul 9, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    TacoFergie

TacoFergie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    Just an FYI....Prep is the most important part, like anything else. I use either ArmorAll Wheel and Tire Cleaner (the only ArmorAll product i use, also available locally) or Meguiars NON-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner (D143). What you are looking for is a product that removes any previous coatings or factory protection coating. These cleaners MUST be applied to a dry tire and a stiff brush! I recommend cleaning wheels and tires before the rest of the vehicle so you aren't fighting water drying on the paint creating water spots. These cleaners work especially well on tires that are turning brown. Known as "tire blooming" which is Anit-Ozonants that is added to the rubber to protect them if being stored for long periods of time, like at warehouses.

I have done a side by between 4 cleaners. American Detailer Garage F-Bomb at 5:1 (kind of a mix between an all-purpose cleaner and de-greaser, incredible all around product), Bleche-Wite, ArmorAll Wheel and Tire Cleaner and McKee's 37 Tire and Rubber Cleaner. They all did the job for the most part but there were some major differences which is why I chose what I did. I did not have Megs D143 at the time but I prefer it over Armour-All since I can get it in a gallon as it can be diluted 2:1 or 1:1, that makes 2-3 gallons of cleaner for $24!

-ADG F-Bomb
    -Great cleaner for removing dirt and grime, but doesn't get some tire dressings off as well as it doesn't remove tire blooming.

-McKee's 37 Tire and Rubber Cleaner
    -Works great for cleaning "clean" rubber. Confusing right?? Well, it works very well to remove blooming and rejuvenating the rubber if there is no dressing on the tires, so a cleaner to remove the dressing is required first. Plus it doesn't clean the wheels. So this is a really specific product and is truly a one trick pony. Also it sometimes takes a couple applications to remove tire blooming.

-ArmorAll Wheel and Tire Cleaner
    -Pre-Face...I very much dislike AromrAll products in general, except for this one. This cleaner is available locally for about $6 a bottle. It foams when you spray it, you can see it instantly activating on the tire blooming lifting up, it does a good job taking off old dressings, cleans the wheels very well and usually only requires one application. Truly a great all around product.

-Bleche-Wite
    -I have seen many recommend this other forums and detailing threads. My experience is just meh. It doesn't do a great job of removing previous dressings and doesn't clean the wheels. If there is no previous dressing it generally required 2 or more applications to remove tire blooming, but it does work and is fairly cheap..just time consuming.

Below are photos before and after with only 1 application and cleaning the brush before scrubbing the next product for as good of equal conditions as possible. The tires were pretty close to the same condition on both.

-Method - Tires dry when products were sprayed on, brush sprayed 2 times with the product before scrubbing, product allowed to dwell for about 1-2 min so it would not dry on the surface and rinsed with a garden hose as to not introduce pressure washing methods into it. I tried to keep all variables as close as possible.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

After they are COMPLETELY dry you apply the Tire Dressing of your choice. I repeat...COMPLETELY DRY!!!!

I like CarPro Perl as you can dilute it to your liking, it has UV protection and conditions rubber. Similar to 303, but you can dilute to your desire and I would say lasts just as long (2-3 weeks in my conditions). I also like Superior Products CoverAll aerosol, it quite glossy the first week or so, it does become more of a semi-gloss after that but easily lasts 4+ weeks on a vehicle that is not garaged and driven daily.

Hope this helps people out!!

8. Aug 28, 2021 at 7:29 PM
    ca08tacoma

ca08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been using Aero Cosmetics with good results. I like the matte finish. Apparently they use this in the aerospace industry. Makes sense, Ive never seen anything launching from the flight deck with shiny tires.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M0OAHAH?_encoding=UTF8

9. Aug 29, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    Tacorific

Tacorific Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NE Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2018 SR5 I4 4X4
    Torque Pro, LED Map & Dome lights, Westin Hitch, Ride Rite Air bags with Daystar perches, Utility Package Rear Cab Panel
    That's coincidental, I just stumbled on this product the other day. I've got a pint of it in my Amazon shopping cart right now. Amazon also has the 16oz spray bottle for $10.95. I have used 303 for several years, I'm currently testing out Trim Serum (T.S.) for the last two years. Found that the T.S. lasted more than twice as long as 303, but it's so thick that it is hard to put on. It's also a little too shiny at first, for my liking. I'm actually looking for something that will protect the rubber and keep it flat black.

10. Sep 10, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    ZR2 Deepwood Green
    skidz, gears, tune, zeon 12-s
    If you want a matte finish nothing is better than Aero Cosmetics, last a long time.

Tacorific[QUOTED] and ace96 like this.
  11. Sep 13, 2021 at 6:24 AM
    CTTN

CTTN Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Limited
    Another Really good cheap option is to get some Chemical Guys (I know) VRP from Wally World and dilute with Distilled Water in a decent spray bottle.

About 1 part product to 3 parts water. Shake and spray.

So many of the Chemical Guys products are similar or redundant but VRP really is great, versatile, convenient and cheap when diluted. Water based.

Also, Walmart sells a short Tire Brush that is great for applying dressing to All Terrain style tires. Just spray on the brush and you can really get into all the details.

I find that the amount of shine is related to the amount of product used. Hence the dilution.

12. Sep 13, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Hmmmmm.......

I use Simple Green to clean the schmutz off the tires and wheels. Agitate with a nylon bristle scrub brush. Hose off. Done.

No shine, no sling.....just clean rubber tires.

CusterFan and Gunshot-6A like this.
  13. Sep 13, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    CTTN

CTTN Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Limited
    That can look good too! I think it depends.

Especially if one is running gloss black wheels... I think they tend to look better when the tires do not outshine the wheels, if that makes sense: matte tire and shiny wheel.

CusterFan likes this.
  14. Sep 13, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    I use Purple Power to clean the tires and then a foam from Armor All that leaves a dark, natural look.

15. Sep 13, 2021 at 7:01 AM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    I've used 303 for years and still do. On a suggestion, I tried Adams Graphine Tire Dressing ($16, 16oz)
    It does lasts through washes better than 303... nice deep satin black finish. Looks glossy at first but dries dull.

I will try Griots Black Satin next

tire dressing.jpg

16. Sep 13, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    303 Tire and Rubber cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30579CSR-Rubber-Cleaner/dp/B0799197R9

Hands down the best rubber cleaner that I've used. It will pull all the brown out of the tire and leave it looking like a clean new tire. No shine. Just clean rubber. Keep an eye on it, as the price will drop from time to time. I'm going to pick up a couple of bottles the next time it comes down in price.

Spray it on, it will turn from purple to brown and look like coffee dripping off the tire. Give it a quick scrub and rinse it off. Hint: don't do more than 2 tires at a time or it will dry before you can finish.

17. Sep 13, 2021 at 7:15 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    I really like this stuff, but god forbid you breathe in the overspray cuz you can literally feel yourself develop lung cancer from whatever's in this stuff. It's...potent.

[​IMG]

18. Sep 13, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I used to use that stuff on tires that had white letters. Then, I switched to comet on a brush, which worked better and didn't make you feel like wearing a gas mask.

Now, because I'm lazy, I just use some soap on that same scrub brush and it works pretty well.

CusterFan and Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Sep 13, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    Goosie0080

Goosie0080 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 base

20. Sep 21, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    I threw a bottle of that away a couple weeks ago.

ace96 likes this.
To Top