1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire question about sidewall toughness

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JPinCowtown, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    Most of the expensive tire failures I've had in the past have been from punctured sidewalls driving over mesquite thorns, prickly pear, small stumps or sharp rocks while driving around my hunting lease. When looking for new tires what do I look for in the tire specifications that tells me how thick/tough the sidewall is? I assume tires which provide that protection can make for a rougher ride on the road? Thanks.

2. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Look for the sidewall PLY listing on some tires.

I know some of the truck A/T tires list having 3-ply and I think I've seen 5-ply.

I don't know what the standard is on most A/T tires. I believe the BFG's have 3-ply sidewall as well as the M/T's.

3. Jun 26, 2009 at 3:50 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Get a higher load rating ie. c, d, e ratings and they will have more ply strength and also get an LT 'light truck' tire instead of a P 'passenger' tires.

LT tires will have ratings of c, d, e..
    C rated=6 ply
    D=8
    E=10

Get a tire size that is listed like this- LT265/70/17C

C rating is typically enough for our trucks and moderate offroading. D would be better if you are around lots of sharp rocks and branches offroading, but D rated will provide a noticably 'stiffer' ride feeling especially if you are changing from a Passenger rated tire.

What size, brand and rated tires are you running now?
    I offroad with P rated Nitto TG's with no sidewall damage.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
    "Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers found inside the tire, but indicate an equivalent strength based on early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric body plies, or one steel ply."

4. Jun 26, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    Good info - thanks. I've still got the stock Dunlop 245/75/16's. I'm going to bump it up to 265's - I've narrowed it down to BFG, Nitto and Bridgestone Revo's. I just do a moderate amount of offroading so I need a good all-terrain that will be smooth on the highway.

5. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:31 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I had the stock dunlops 245/75/16 too and they were terrible!! You will like the look of 265/70/16 much better. Even if you go with a P rated offroad tire in that size it will be tougher and stiffer than those dunlops.

I run P rated 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and I love them, much better ride than dunlops and not too overly stiff either. They have held up to minor offroading without any damage. No highway noise and great traction in rain, I also got them pretty reasonably priced at $120/tire.
    My bf has bridgestone revos on his z71 and they have held up well also.

Products Discussed in

To Top