1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Recommendations?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by muslmutt, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    muslmutt

muslmutt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SE OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 Tacoma Access Cab (Sold), 2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    I am looking for some 265 75r 16 tires for my 2015 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB. I drive 100 highway miles a day for work. I drive rocky, gravel/dirt roads on weekends to hunt, fish, climb, paddle, and mt bike. Seems like tires typically last a little more than half what they are rated for before the tread is worn off. Anyone have any tire suggestions?

Thanks.
    Matt

2. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Wrangler Duratrac. You'll never want another tire again.
    [​IMG]

3. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    tacorgidor

tacorgidor I4C4LO

Member:
    SoCal - LA area
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM DCLB 4X4
    Billie 5100's all around, 885's, Dakars, Wet Okole front seat covers, Weather Tech mats front and rear, NFab nerf bars, front mud flaps removed, hoseclamp tailgate mod, front badge color match, cb antennae mount in a bed cleat, 4' Wilson antennae, salex console organizer, led's in map and dome lights, plasti dip all badges black, bedside stickers removed, OEM exhaust tip, plastidip hood scoop black, bed rail mounted military can, maglite seat mount mod, TRD shift knob, OEM bed mat, bottle opener bed mod, window tint on fronts, uniden 520xl cb, Redline hood struts, OEM front skid plate(silver),RuggedT bedside decals, Yakima cross bars and Yakima Load Warrior basket, cali raised amber pod, cali raised 31" light bar in lower valence, painted engine cover, 7 pin relocate. Blue sea fuse box, Softopper black. Shmelfab sliders
    I/ve always liked BFG a/t's. I think the new version is the KO2. They were good on the HWY and great on the trails for me when i lived in the Sierra Nevada.

4. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:21 PM
    RedRed

RedRed TACO TUESDAY!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Lake Norman NC
    Vehicle:
    15 taco with stuff & things
    1.75" Billy's plus 1/4 spacer on both sides. 1" block in rear. 265/70/17 nitto g2 SCS matte dark bronze 6s
    I drive 60 miles highway a day plus pull dirt duty on the farm. Love the new nitto g2s. Have 265/70/17s and will buy another set again.

5. Oct 8, 2015 at 10:39 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    Go a little greener:

TW.jpg

6. Oct 8, 2015 at 10:51 PM
    catattacksdog

catattacksdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Steve
    Not Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    07 dc
    Duratracs. Always.

7. Oct 8, 2015 at 10:57 PM
    AWalker

AWalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Tacoma Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB SR5
    O.M.E 885 Dakars nitros Snugtop allpro skids allpro bumper 4X inovations sliders Jayco pop up camper Torklift tiedowns
    20k on my Duratracs still look almost new. I use them mostly on street w the occasional forest service road, beach, mild trails. Been very happy. Getting a little noisy but not bad. I hear lots of good about Cooper st maxx, they may be my next set in 30+k but no complaints on the Duratracs. Most negative I hear on the DT is wet traction. I live in weatern Wa., 4 month of strait rain, wet traction and snow has been fine so far.

8. Oct 9, 2015 at 12:34 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    I like my Duratracs! I had KO2's (Goodrich) on a Dodge 2500 and was OK with 'em, but wasn't impressed with their performance in mud at all.....The Duratracs excell in mud and snow for an all purpose type of tire. They're a little difficult to get balanced....but that's the tire dealers job to make that right. Just make certain you run them at adequate pressure (38psi to 40psi) or they will vibrate and make you gas gauge spin like a runaway clock. Get load range C (rather than D or E) C's will carry anything the truck is capable of and the tire isn't so heavy. Heavy tires kill gas mileage AND make you think you're dragging an anchor.

9. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:26 AM
    espar

espar Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    New Berlin, WI
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4X4
    BAKFLIP II BED COVER
    I'm pretty hard on tires so I usually have the same issue. I've got 30,000 miles on my General Grabber AT2's and still have almost half the tread left. They have a 55k warranty.

10. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:12 AM
    Missouriprerunner

Missouriprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    STL MO
    Vehicle:
    2018 dbl cab sr5
    It's not very popular but I always get used tires from a guy I know locally. 180 bucks mounted and balanced and I've never gotten less than 10,000 miles on them.
    But I've bought 7 brand new sets of tires for work trucks and ran them all so I'm partial to Firestone, they seem to be almost as good as the higher end stuff while still being resistant to nails and punctures.

11. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    OP,

100 miles a day on pavement..... hands down michelin MS2's, They will do just fine on gravel / dirt roads

FUCK THAT. No way in hell id EVER risk my life on used tires to save money, my life is worth WAY more than that.

ace96 likes this.
  12. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:33 AM
    dawgomatic

dawgomatic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did countless hours of research on this when I bought tires...wanted something primarily for road but would still leave me with confidence for when I'm off road but not dealing with anything too crazy.

Settled on the
    Michelin MS2 (best for road and longevity)
    Michelin AT2s
    Cooper Discoverers

Went with Discoverers because I was lucky and able to hit manufacturer rebate + big dealer sale and had them on the truck for $450. So far I'm extremely pleased. I haven't had a MPG change (I track every tank) worth noting. I previously had the MS2s. They have performed well off road, are quite on hwy, affordable, and are wearing extremely well. They get a huge endorsement from me

13. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    With 100 highway miles a day for work (guessing M-F) and off-road on the weekend, it will be hard to find a tire that will fit both uses well and last long. The highway miles will wear down the rubber on a off-road tire. and a highway tire may not last long off-road. Also do you get snow and ice?

How rough is the off-road aspect of your driving, if it is just rocky and gravel "roads" then a more all purpose tire with off-road capability might be best.

My Michelin M/S2 serve well both here in Florida's sandy dirt, and when I lived in PA's Snow/Ice/fire trails and such

GratefulTaco likes this.
  14. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    My wifes truck has the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 and I'm running the KO2's. The coopers are dead silent on the highway. No idea offroad as shes a pavement princess. I like my KO2's so far but havent hit any deep mud or snow yet.

I just got the KO2's because I had a sidewall blowout on the highway with my Duratracs. Split from the tread to the bead. The duratracs were great while I had them, but failed for no apparent reason.

15. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:45 AM
    Martimus

Martimus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    'neath a cactus
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    Michelin LTX would be my recommendation... they rock!

16. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:51 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    Put Michelin ms2's on my truck last month. Just got back from 3,000 mile round trip through the southwest & am convinced they are the best tire out there. Much better ride on the highway, did a lot dirt & gravel washboard roads & had no problems handling them.

17. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:57 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    x6 on the Michelin MS2. Reports of guys getting +90-100k miles out of the tires. I've got 50k on mine and am just starting to see some signs of wear. Best tire I've ever had. Because of the amount of time you spend on the road, I'd go MS2. They'll be fine on gravel and occasional light-duty off road. I wouldn't want to run the AT's if I was seeing the road miles you are. They'd be fine, I'm sure, but I wonder if they'd wear a little faster (and maybe be a little louder?).

18. Oct 9, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.

Me again.

I spent almost 3 years at Ft Sill Oklahoma. Best I recall, it was bone dry when it was dry, and sloppy, slick mud when it was wet. Not sure what conditions you encounter in your part of Oklahoma.

Highways are highways.....Even when wet, they aren't anything that's gonna stop you, just slow you down a bit.

Snow is like mud. You're either able to plow on through it, or you park until spring thaw.

All that said, you can drive on a dry highway with the most aggressive mud tires on the market. But you spin your wheels when it's muddy or snow covered unless you have a tire designed to handle those circumstances.

How much are you willing to give up from ability to handle snow or mud? Is a few more miles in a tires life worth it when you're stuck in a snow drift?

For my benefit, I'd sacrifice a few miles just so I could make it home in the worst of conditions.

I drive (on average) about 32,000 to 34,000 miles a year. 90% is interstate highway. Another 7% or 8% is country back roads. MAYBE 2% or 3% is off road miles. Even with that, I'm just as interested in getting from point A to point B off road as I am in getting a couple thousand extra miles of highway driving before I replace my tires.

It's all about priorities.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  19. Oct 9, 2015 at 10:06 AM
    nobescare

nobescare Well-Known Member

Member:
    43.5448° N, 80.2482° W
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 2WD
    she's all stock
    love my General Grabber AT2s

20. Oct 9, 2015 at 10:18 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    ^^This is good advice. In the end- it's up to you OP. Regarding tires, read the posts and decide which ones make the most sense to you. Longevity, road noise, capabilities, a good balance, choose based on your priorities. And then just enjoy the new tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top