1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Size Help Please.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TheTaco Lover, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Aug 16, 2016 at 10:32 PM
    TheTaco Lover

TheTaco Lover [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Double Cab
    Hello, new guy here. I'm looking forward to the answers to these questions. Thank You in advance!

I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4. It came with P265/70R16 tires. I replaced the orginal tires at 57k and my second set of the the same size needs replacing at 40k. I watch tire pressures and rotate regularly, have gotten up to 80k on other vehicles, so I'm not thrilled with the first two sets of tires.

I do a fair amount of off road driving on trails that have rocks - often sharp on them. I also tow a 2,800 lb. travel trailer. I'm seriously looking at the Discoverer AT3 Tires. I've never had a flat from driving off road with the P rated tires. I don't know if I've been lucky or if P rated tires are sufficient with the relatively light weight of my Tacoma. Because of the off road driving and towing, I'm wondering if I should go to a LT tire.

I've done a lot of research and people are saying ride and gas mileage will suffer, especially with load range D and E, LT tires. So, for my purposes, would you recommend I buy another set of P rated or go to a LT tire and would Load Range C be sufficient given my truck.

If you recommend Load Range C, what should I inflate them to when driving off road? Towing? I keep my P rated at 32 PSI normal driving and off road. When towing, I go to 34 front and 36 rear. I understand with LT tires, I would need to use more pressure, but would like to keep them on the "soft" side for off road without having to constantly change pressures.

I've read many good things about the AT3's. I want a tire that's tough, long lasting, quiet as possible and doesn't retain rocks. Do you think the AT3's would best suit my needs or is there another tire that would be better?

I also see I would have to go to a 265/75R16 to get a LT in Load Range C in the AT3's. If I do that will I need to get a spare of the same size and not use my 265/70 R16 to avoid mechanical problems? How much of a change would there be with speedometer/odometer? Are there any other issues I would need to be concerned with switching to a LT tire?

Whew! A lot of questions eh?

THANKS AGAIN!

2. Aug 17, 2016 at 7:54 AM
    canyonchaser

canyonchaser Member Known Well

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    The biggest reason people say their mileage suffers has less to do with the E-rating and more to do with everyone putting on larger tires. The wider, and especially the taller tire, really have adverse effects on our trucks, particularly if you have an Automagic.

My driving is extremely similar to yours, and because I tow a fair bit, I have always run E-Rated tires. I also carry heavy loads fairly frequently. And my experience with stiffer E-Rated tires is actually running less pressure day-to-day, not more; so I really don't feel like my ride has suffered any. In fact, with my current E-Rated tires, I'm running 28-29 most times, going up only a few pounds when towing or loaded with rocks or whatever. When I run 34-36, I get really rapid center tire wear as well as a harsh ride.

I know, technically, we can get away with running P-rated tires, but whenever I'ver run them, I never tore a sidewall or anything, but I was constantly getting flat tires. Like about every two months. I'd come out the parking lot after work - flat tire. With E-Rated tires, I've pulled out several screws and nails, but have never flatted.

My last set of tires were 265/75-16's and it was a huge mistake. The taller tire made towing a nightmare, particularly going up any kind of hill or grade. I just ordered a new set of tires (yesterday in fact) in the smaller 245/75-16 size. Slightly narrower (but barely) but same height as the 265/70s. Even though they are E-rated they are about 8lbs less per tire compared to their fatter/taller brothers. Rotational Mass and Unsprung weight savings!

People have been very happy with AT3's, It's a very solid choice (or even the Discount Tire version the ATP that looks a little cooler). But I actually opted for the brand new Falken (Japanese tire) AT3W's. They are slightly more luggy looking, still have a 55k mile warranty and are getting rave reviews. (Quiet on the highway, good wet weather performance, good in snow, look cool, etc.) The tire only came out in January, so there isn't a ton of "how long do they last" data, but they come with a 55k mile warranty.

Here's the TW Thread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/packed-with-technology-falken-wildpeak-a-t3w.419869/

My best advice to you is, if you want a luggy, off-road capable tire, you tow and you don't want your mileage to suffer, regardless of which tire you choose, go with the slightly smaller 245/75-16s. They look totally fine - you can barely tell they are smaller, but the other benefits are significant - including better off-road performance. In fact, the Paris/Dakar Hilux race trucks run 245/80-16s.

dp

cosjohn and TheTaco Lover[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 17, 2016 at 8:00 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Finally. Someone who actually 'gets it'. That bigger is not always better. :thumbsup:

4. Aug 17, 2016 at 1:01 PM
    TheTaco Lover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WOW! Great advice, canyonchaser! Thank You so much for taking the TIME to write that. What do you think about getting a LT Load Range C tire?

Thanks Again!

5. Aug 17, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    I've never actually run a load C, only P-rated and E-rated. Seems like most tires of any value only come in P or LT(E), so I go with the E.

dp

6. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:44 PM
    TheTaco Lover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank You, canyonchaser. RE the 28-29 PSI or a little higher towing, what about the need to inflate to a higher pressure with LT tires to achieve load capacity?

7. Aug 17, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    Thats right. You inflate to higher pressures based on load. The chalk test only takes about 3 minutes to do. So if you have a heavy load and you are worried, smear some chalk on the tire, roll about 20 feet and see whats what. :)

dp

8. Aug 17, 2016 at 5:55 PM
    TheTaco Lover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dp, I just went back and read your first comments again. Can't thank you enough. The part about towing being a nightmare is HUGE! Apparently that extra inch in diameter is enough to change rear end ratio? My tires have worn more in the center from higher pressures I've used towing. Seems like I've read higher pressures are required in LT tires to run cooler?

9. Aug 17, 2016 at 9:19 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    OP if you find the tire you like in C load it is a FAR better choice than E-load. E-loads go on an F-350 Superduty. Way overkill for anything the Tacoma could hope to even attempt, and the extra weight will reduce fuel economy and acceleration, not to mention reduce ride quality. Not recomended.

10. Aug 17, 2016 at 11:29 PM
    TheTaco Lover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank You, crashnburn 80.

11. Aug 18, 2016 at 12:50 AM
    TheTaco Lover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    canyonchaser and crashnburn or anyone else, here's what I'm seeing on specs:

P265/70 R16 on truck now: 30.6" dia. 10.7" width 44 PSI Max. 38 lbs tire weight

Cooper Discoverer AT3's:

LT 245/75R16: Load Range C: 30.51" dia. 9.6" width 50PSI Max. 38 lbs tire weight

Given the similarities above, canyonchaser would you see any concern towing on hills (sure glad you pointed that out) or any other issues I should be aware of? Would the larger aspect ratio be any concern?

Thanks Again!

12. Aug 18, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    The only advantage of bigger, fatter tires is a very slight increase in clearance - half of whatever the difference is because it's a wheel, right. So if it's an inch taller, you get half and inch more clearance. The fatter tire will also be better in deep sand or deep mud.

From there, the fatter tire only offers disadvantages. More mass, effects to final drive gearing, clearance/rubbing, price, loss in gas mileage.

It's also nice that the AT3's come in a C-rated tire, that saves you probably 3-4lbs per tire.

dp

13. Aug 18, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    TheTaco Lover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm thinking I'll go with the LT 245/75R16: Load RangeC's. They are so close size wise to what came on my truck. Dp you've made many great points. I keep thinking how disappointed I would have been towing up the first hill had I gone with the larger tire - and be stuck with them!

What tire pressures would you suggest to start with for solo and towing?

Thanks Again!

14. Aug 18, 2016 at 2:42 PM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    Yeah, I was floored by the hit I took when I succumb to fashion and peer pressure and went to a bigger, fatter tire. The whole truck felt slower and more lethargic. I even tried to compensate by putting on a free-flow exhaust and Stage 2 CAI to help the motor breathe better. Tire size changes your gearing and small changes can have big impacts when dealing final drive ratios.

As far as PSI: Depends on which trailer. If it's the utility trailer or the motorcycle trailer, i don't usually worry about it. If it's the travel trailer I think I only go up like, 4-5psi. But it depends on your tongue weight.

When you get your new tires, do the chalk test right off the bat. That'll give you a baseline for your rig, then you can adjust and tweak from there.

15. Aug 18, 2016 at 9:16 PM
    TheTaco Lover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank You Again so much for all of your advice, dp. Much appreciated! You saved me a lot of grief! I will do the chalk test.

Take Care

Products Discussed in

To Top