1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire studs

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dopeka, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    dopeka

dopeka [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Wa State
    I have spare oem steel wheels and Dunlop Grantek's. (2009 4x4 doublecab) They have about 8k miles on them and are in great shape. I'm thinking about having them studed for this winter and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible on these used tires. I've heard that some shops wont touch used tires and having studs installed. Anyone know? TIA

2. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    You cannot stud tires that have been driven. At the shop I worked at in high school once the car was lowered from the lift we would not stud the new tires. Also I don' think these tires are pinned for studs.

I have been thinking of getting a second set of tires probably a some studless coopers blizzaks and having them mounted on seperate rims too.

3. Sep 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    dopeka

dopeka [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Wa State
    Is it a safety thing, what is pinned? Someone mentioned to me that local shops would install them anyway......Wont id it's not safe and I wouldn't want them to shoot out an damage my truck or someone elses car.

4. Sep 18, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    Skipod

Skipod Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Daystar Spacer, PC AAL Westin Steps (for the kids) Softopper
    The studs put in are measured based on the unworn tire. Once a tire has been driven and worn the studs that fit the holes or grooves (not sure of the mechanical name) will be too long. A shop who insures/warranty's their work will not do it as there may be problems, not enough rubber touching, possible damage to tire, etc. A shop without a warranty may do it. Good luck.

5. Sep 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    dlthunder

dlthunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sold my Taco
    TRD Skid Plate Rear Seat 11inch DVD Toyota Bed Mat Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit Nerf Bars Tailgate Electric Dynolock D-ring Bedbolts
    I don't know that Dunlop Grantek's, but the tire has to be pinned for studs, which means there are holes all around the tred that they put the studs into. Most shops will not stud once the tires have been driven on.

6. Sep 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

In this pic you see how the studs are in a nice even pattern and spacing:
    [​IMG]

That is due to the tire being pinned for studs, or having the small holes already there for the studs to be inserted into. On you tires they are not pinned and so they have no hles for studs to be inserted into. If it did it would look like this;
    [​IMG]

The problem is when you drive on a tire that is pinned for studs the depth of the hole will change as the tire wears and also little rocks get pushed into the bottom the the holes. When you put the studs in it can cause a slow leak of air. Here in Washington they are again talking of banning studded tires due to the damage they cause on the roads. That or charging an additional fee on them. I have used the studless Bridgstone blizzaks on my wife's cars for years. I have recently changed over to the cooper equivelent. they are a great alternative to traditional studded tires and seem to last longer as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top