1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tires for Towing Boat

Discussion in 'Towing' started by T Fades, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Sep 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    T Fades

T Fades [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Want to get a fishing boat (17' bass tracker) and was wondering if anybody has a preference for the best tires to tow a boat with. In particular, I am concerned with the slippery boat ramps (either slimy pavement or loose gravel). Truck is a '11 DCLB PreRunner v6 (not 4x4).

Also, do you guys without 4x4 keep LSD on or off when launching a boat?

Sorry if this has been asked, and if so, can you point me to the thread.

Thx.

2. Sep 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    +1 on both.
    You'll have to be careful on some ramps with a non 4x4. I needed 4WD a few times and really really really needed it twice (had to lock the rear those two times: slimy, over grown, steep saltwater ramp).

3. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    Goldstar225

Goldstar225 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pre-runner SR5 4X2
    Interesting. I also have a 2011 DC Pre-runner, 4X2 and I pull a 17 foot bass tracker. The ramps have been no problem at all. I haven't had to bother with the ALSD button yet. Next week I give it the acid test in the White River Refuge. 45 degree concrete ramp surrounded by Gumbo Mud that when wet is the devils own concoction. If I can make it up that ramp, I'll not concern myself ever again. I'm running the stock dunlops but plan to get some all terrains at some point.

4. Sep 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Have you ever launched in salt water?

5. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I launch a fishing boat (16' smokercraft alaskan) almost every weekend throughout the summer and have bfg a/ts...never had an issue and never had to engage the 4wd at the ramp.

6. Sep 29, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I would avoid the steeper ramps and any quality all weather tire will work on concrete ramps.

7. Sep 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Haven't launched with the Tacoma yet but when I launch a boat in the Chevy 1500 4x4 I always put it in low gear. I've seen people launch on slippery ramps in D that when it shift it slips and slides back. I'd say low gear, ALSD, nice easy throttle control, and you'll do fine. Also we run BFG AT's and haven't had a complaint about them yet. You should be fine on any decent at tire or even any all weather tire.

8. Sep 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    T Fades

T Fades [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Good stuff guys, really appreciate it.

Was thinking of eventually getting BFG ATs, so it is good to hear they are up to the task.

Good to hear the stock Dunlops do ok (thanks Goldstar). Please let me know how the devils ramp works out for you. Regarding your bass tracker, how do you like it? This will be my first boat that I owned (I always rent those aluminum boats with 8hp at marinas), but really like bass trackers aluminum hull, flat deck, swivel seats, hopefully a livewell and some storage.

As Warhorse mentioned, I think to ensure there are no problems, I will use low gear, go super easy on the throttle, and ingage LSD.

9. Sep 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    hawking

hawking Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevie
    It all depends on the quality of the ramp. A good concrete ramp with perpendicular grooves will offer incredible traction. I go in and out with my boat (18 foot fiberglass outboard ski boat) in 2wd, no slip at all ever (no locker, never needed alsd) -- stock dunlops. This ramp does NOT require the back wheels to touch the water. In fact, the boat is floating while the wheels are still over 2 feet from the water.

However, I do know of a boat ramp that would give you problems with a 4x4 locked front and back with gnarly mudders. I've seen plenty getting "helped" out of the hole.

The key is to know what you're going into and make sure that you've got the proper gear to recover yourself if there is a question of whether or not you'll make it out.

10. Sep 30, 2011 at 2:58 AM
    Goldstar225

Goldstar225 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pre-runner SR5 4X2
    T Fades:I really enjoy the Tracker. For my use it's almost ideal. I'm running a 70 HP Yamaha. There's ample room for two to fish, three if they pay attention during the cast. Compared to the 14' jon boats I've used the past 18 years, the Tracker was a big step up. Certainly nothing like the full on bass boats the rest of my family has but it completely fulfills my needs.

sechsgang: I've never used a saltwater ramp. I presume from your inquiry that they are a different animal from a freshwater ramp? Bear in mind that the OP and I are retrieving a Tracker that has a combined boat/trailer weight of 1500 - 1800 pounds, not a huge heavy boat like many on the site have.

Products Discussed in

To Top