1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tires rub frame after alignment.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Fabulous, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Fabulous

Fabulous [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    Homertaco grill, Light Racing UCA's, 2.8" front lift (5100's at 0.85 setting and Eibach springs) 2" AAL with rear 5100's, Wet Okole seat covers fr/ bk. 17 x 9 Incubus Crusher wheels w/ 4.5" backspacing. 30% tinted front windows.
    After I got my lift I had my alignment done, and it was pretty good, but not perfect. Today I had Toyota do an alignment, and it feels WAY better, but I've noticed it is lightly rubbing the rear of the lower a-arm, and a bit of the frame?! What would be causing this...I don't even have huge tires, just 265/70-17 Revos.

2. JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Bay Area NorCal
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Hmm do you have aftermarket wheels?

3. Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Homertaco grill, Light Racing UCA's, 2.8" front lift (5100's at 0.85 setting and Eibach springs) 2" AAL with rear 5100's, Wet Okole seat covers fr/ bk. 17 x 9 Incubus Crusher wheels w/ 4.5" backspacing. 30% tinted front windows.
    I do, just not on the truck yet. Stock TRD Sport wheels with the 265/70-17 Revos. I have a 2.5" lift.

4. JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Bay Area NorCal
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Is that the stock size for 17's?

5. Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Stock size is 265/65-17, and before my alignment today it did not rub the frame. My alignment after my lift was okay, but my wheel wasn't straight, so I took it in. Now it rides way better, and tighter, but rubs the frame?! mY toe, and caster weren't great, and they got the caster up higher, and improved the toe so the wheel is perfect...why would it rub the frame/ a-arm now?

6. bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Locker, Yaesu FT 8900 Ham Radio
    Improving the caster angle physically moves the wheel back in the wheelwell a bit.

7. Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    That's what I was wondering... It has great feel through the wheel now. Better then when it was stock. Only reason I noticed was because I'm curious and took a look under after, and seen that it had rubbed my frame a bit on both sides. Must have been when leaving the parking lot at Toyota.

8. ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    do you have a alignment sheet?

9. Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Sure do. I can't scan it for you, but I can tell you what it say's...

left side caster is 1.43 degrees, 1.13 degrees camber, and toe is 0.4
    Right side caster is 1.52 degrees, 1.2 degrees camber, and toe is 0.3

These are a bit different than my last alignment as I don't remember it being in degrees like this. Print out is different as well...maybe the dealership got a new machine?!

I talked to the shop manager and he say's I can bring it back some time early next week to get it redone. Hopefully they can get it to not rub and still keep the same ride quality...

10. ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    theres your problem, your caster is too low. I have the same issue. It should be approx 2.4

From chris4x4
    Toe: 0* (if not precisley 0*, it should have + toe out but not to exceed .05*)
    Camber: 0*
    Caster: between 2.3* and 3.1**

11. Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    The print out from the dealer say's it's right in their ideal area. When I got it done after the lift it was at 1.9/ 2.0 from a different place with a hunter machine, and the Toyota dealer brought it even higher. It feels way better then before, and even better than before my lift when it was apparently at 2.0 on both sides. Like I said the dealership has a different print out from eight months ago when I got an align at stock?! Feels perfect except for the rubbing the frame...

12. bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Eh. That's not an ideal alignment. It's what you get when you weight all the parameters equally, and try to get toe, camber, and caster all into the "green' range.

But toe and camber affect tire wear. Caster just affects the more subjective "feel."

After lifting, I had my shop align toe and caster to near zero, which meant that caster was far off the desired 2.4 degrees.

If you go to that, I'm guessing that

1. it'll feel "livelier" but
    2. probably will stop doing the rub thing.

Also, your tires will wear longer.

13. ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    What I have noticed is if you take a look in my gallery I have my alignment sheet and before I had my last alignment my caster was 4 and after it went to 2.2 on the drivers and 2.6 on my passenger. Now I have bad rubbing on my control arm and my body mohnt

14. bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    0.4 ?

15. ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Sorry I'm on my iphone 4.1 and 4.2 driver, passenger respectably

16. Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow to see if it is rubbing now, or it was doing it before and I never noticed. Honestly, when I drive it now it feels awesome! It even got rid of 90% of the take off vibe, and vibe i was getting at 25 mp/h. If it is rubbing now, and they can sweeten it up to not do it, then I'll be a happy camper.

17. Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    After looking at it I'm certain the rub is due to the camber being too high. I'm going to tell them to get is to 0.5 or lower, or I want my $ back. Where it's set is right at the high edge of the scale/ specs.

18. Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Well, talked to the service manager and voiced my concerns about how the alignment is in "spec" but very shitty. He took it in yesterday and he and another tech played with it for 2 hours, and got numbers that are more acceptable to me. 1.9/ 2.1 caster, 0.58/ 0.61 camber, and 0.02/ 0.03 toe. Hopefully this won't be rubbing my LCA anymore. I'll take it for a test drive this weekend when the roads clear up (snowing pretty good right now)

To Top