1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tires*Tires*Tires*Tires !!!!!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by neontrail, May 22, 2009.

1. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Bush Pusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    5100's, Eibachs, ome dakar, spc lr uca, Homertaco Satoshi, Andres horns, ImMrYo, Yakima, Thule, Torza Top, weather tech's, oem bed mat and divider, SCS stealth6, 285's, bird turd's and dirt nugs
    The Geolanders definitely have smaller voids. IMO, the ST.Maxx and Duratrac are mud/all terrain hybrids. If you are significantly more on road than off, and your off roading is dirt roads and light trails the Maxx and the Duratrac are overkill. If you are off road a lot they are more suitable.
    They certainly look cool.

2. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Central Scrutinizer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Aim-ish country PA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD 6spd
    FM 10 series, K&N 63 series intake, 5100's at 2.5, TSB springs, Connex 3300HP,Fat Boy 2 pill, Wilson 1000, Dual ammo cans, Cue ball shifter, color matched bumper, Homeroshi grill, car seat mod, Hella triple tone air horns, AVS vent visors, Debadged, Deflapped, Custom painted eyelids and third brake light, Custom radio antenna , Rugged Cover, Husky mats, yellow fogs, Warn shackle, 265/75 16 Trail Diggers, American Racing wheels, Rugged T bedside decals, Ultra Gauge, too much homemade stuff to list.
    I had the GeolandArs on my '04 then my '08. They were a bit quieter than the Duratracs but not by much. The Duratracs were a much better tire than the Yokos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Oct 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    wingspar

wingspar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    I am beginning to think that the S/T Maxx and Duratracs might be overkill, but I would agree, they look cool, but I have to think past the cool factor to performance for my type of driving. Most driving is on logging roads with an occasional foray off road, but I usually avoid mud if I can.

Ah yes. That’s what I remember my Geolanders looking when they were new. Can’t say I was real impressed with tread life. The Discoverer S/T seems to have a more aggressive tread than the S/T Maxx by looking at photos on the Cooper web site. The Discoverer AT3 looks like something I should look at also. Any experience with those?

4. Oct 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    chop

chop Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    byron
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 db cab
    4" lift , arb front bumper, goodyear duratraxs firestone air bags
    getting my new duratracs on saturday , wondering if any of you have studded them for winter?

5. Oct 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Central Scrutinizer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Aim-ish country PA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD 6spd
    FM 10 series, K&N 63 series intake, 5100's at 2.5, TSB springs, Connex 3300HP,Fat Boy 2 pill, Wilson 1000, Dual ammo cans, Cue ball shifter, color matched bumper, Homeroshi grill, car seat mod, Hella triple tone air horns, AVS vent visors, Debadged, Deflapped, Custom painted eyelids and third brake light, Custom radio antenna , Rugged Cover, Husky mats, yellow fogs, Warn shackle, 265/75 16 Trail Diggers, American Racing wheels, Rugged T bedside decals, Ultra Gauge, too much homemade stuff to list.
    I have no experience with Coopers other than Weather masters. But, I hear the AT3 is a good tire.

6. Oct 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Lifted Tacoma Doublecab (SOLD)
    4" zone offroad suspension lift modified with Rcd bilstein front shocks w 1/2 spacer for 5.75" front lift and allpro expo leap pack with 2" block for 6" rear lift, extended length stainless brake lines front and rear, beefed taco carrier bearing drop brkt, 1.25 alum driveshaft spacer, avid lightbar powdercoated w 2 9" led lights, , amp research power steps, anderson aluminum drop hitch, ss grill insert w color matched grill, color matched door handles, color matched rear bumper, color matched pop n lock tailgate handle, 2012 sport mirrors added, color matched mustang hood scoop, borla ss exhaust, extang full tilt tonneau cover, windows tinted darker,oem roof rack, 2014 touch screen radio w navigation, infinity kappa speakers front and rear, rockford fosgate amp, 2 10" kicker subs, 2tone katzkin leather, hydro dipped interior parts, inalfa 925 power moonroof, lexus F sport shift knob
    I run the AT3 now and no issues at all and have also run the ltz on my previous truck with no issues. Both have been great tires.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. Oct 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    It’s not a tire I’ve seen mentioned here before, but looks like it might work. I really wish I could see some of these tires in person rather than trying to make a decision online. Some of them look great, then I see a post someone made, and they are too aggressive, then I see another photo that makes them look great. I’d like to figure this one out in the next couple of weeks at the latest while the money is still in my pocket.

Does anyone have any photos of the Cooper AT3 on their Tacoma?

8. Oct 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Bush Pusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    5100's, Eibachs, ome dakar, spc lr uca, Homertaco Satoshi, Andres horns, ImMrYo, Yakima, Thule, Torza Top, weather tech's, oem bed mat and divider, SCS stealth6, 285's, bird turd's and dirt nugs
    did you try here?
    https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&....0....0...1ac.1.29.img..0.17.1260.UDnb2ZpK9vc

9. Oct 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
  10. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    chop

chop Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    byron
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 db cab
    i was looking at the at3's as well until i seen them up close . i went with duratrax because they are more aggressive looking and better on ice and snow.
    i guess different strokes for different folks

11. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    chop

chop Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    byron
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 db cab
    here are my tires[​IMG]

12. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    chop

chop Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    byron
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 db cab
    url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/362916/cat/500][​IMG][/url]

13. Oct 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I got to see some AT3's that were just installed and not even driven on yet today, and to me, the tread looked a tad bit too aggressive. The salesman thought I’d be better off with some BF Goodrich All Terrain tires he showed me, but the tread didn’t look aggressive enough, but he said it was their best selling AT tire they sell. I dunknow, but I thought I wanted the AT3's, but now I think I have to rethink the whole thing all over. Yep. Different strokes for different folks. The AT3's were nice and quiet when the guy drove his truck off.

So, what are opinions of the BF Goodrich All Terrain tires? Anyone with experience with the Cooper AT3's and the BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires?

14. Oct 30, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    mh.meier

mh.meier RAGEAHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    MAD MIKE
    T-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    NAHBITCHTRUCKNORRISUNICORN
    in my opinion the AT3's don't look aggressive at all. They look like street tires with sidewall protection. BFG AT's are owned by more people and tacoma owners for that matter, than I can count. If you want a street tire that can be used off road do the BFG AT and call it good.

15. Oct 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Well, I’ll have to admit, when the guy drove off in his truck with the AT3's they didn’t look aggressive at all, but up close and putting my fingers in the grooves, they seemed aggressive. I don’t even remember noticing the sidewalls.

The salesman told me the same thing about the BFG AT’s. They are owned by more people than any other AT tire they sell, and now I hear it on the forum, so I at least need to add them to the list of tires I’m looking at. Tread depth was much less than the AT3's and not nearly as aggressive looking as the AT3's.

He also told me there is no millage warranty on the BFG AT’s because they are such a good seller and not needed, but the AT3's have a 55,000 mile warranty. Have to wonder what that is all about. What does a 55,000 mile warranty do for you anyway? Does that mean they replace them if the tread has less depth left in them at 55,000 miles than specified in their warranty?

16. Oct 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    4" zone offroad suspension lift modified with Rcd bilstein front shocks w 1/2 spacer for 5.75" front lift and allpro expo leap pack with 2" block for 6" rear lift, extended length stainless brake lines front and rear, beefed taco carrier bearing drop brkt, 1.25 alum driveshaft spacer, avid lightbar powdercoated w 2 9" led lights, , amp research power steps, anderson aluminum drop hitch, ss grill insert w color matched grill, color matched door handles, color matched rear bumper, color matched pop n lock tailgate handle, 2012 sport mirrors added, color matched mustang hood scoop, borla ss exhaust, extang full tilt tonneau cover, windows tinted darker,oem roof rack, 2014 touch screen radio w navigation, infinity kappa speakers front and rear, rockford fosgate amp, 2 10" kicker subs, 2tone katzkin leather, hydro dipped interior parts, inalfa 925 power moonroof, lexus F sport shift knob
    At3's are definetively not an agressive tire

17. Oct 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Compared to what I used to run 20 years ago, I would agree, but to me at this point in time in my life, they look very aggressive. At least in person vs looking at them in photos, which is all I’ve been able to do till yesterday. Comparing the AT3' to my stock highway tires that came with the truck, they are Very aggressive. I have to choose what is right for me, and it won’t necessarily be in agreement with everyone on this forum. I’m just trying to get as many opinions from people with experience with the tires I’m looking at. I’ve been driving 4x4's since 1974 and my days of off roading for fun and buying big knobby tires have been in the past for a long time. I just want the traction when I need it and I want a tire that will last for a few years. I put about 6,000 miles a year on the truck, most of it on logging roads.

18. Oct 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Might want to look at the michelin ltx at2

19. Oct 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Bush Pusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    I can appreciate what you are saying. Some AT tires are clearly more suited to extreme recreational offroading while others are more utilitarian for a mix of logging roads, bush trails and highway. You want to buy a tire for it's function and not get caught up in it's aesthetics. I have never run AT3's, but have considered it. What I like about them is that they appear to have relatively open channels to keep them clear of water and debris.
    x2. You might also check out the Firestone Destination AT.

20. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Yes, function is most important, but aesthetics is part of it. Years ago I used to run the biggest badest mud tires I could get, and the selection of tires was not the mind boggling selection it is today. Last time I bought AT tires for my last truck, I just got what the local guy recommended and had in stock. Times have changed. My head is spinning at all there is to look at. Every time I make a decision, a monkey wrench (another tire I haven’t heard about yet) gets thrown into the mix. The AT3's look so much different in person than they do in photos. Had I not had the opportunity to see them in person the other day, I may have ordered them already.

I started this by asking the guy at the local tire place for some ideas and quotes back on October 19. He started me off with the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac, and the Hankook DynaPro MT. I’ve added 4 more tires to that selection. All priced close enough so that cost doesn’t enter the factor. My head is spinning. :frusty:

To Top