1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Titan to Tacoma??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by turnone, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    turnone

turnone [OP] Member

Member:
    So I finally have my 06 DC Titan where I want it: PRG (Pro-Comp modified) 6" lift with SAW coilovers in front, 2.5" remote reservoir SAW's in the rear with a leaf pack on 17" black XD Addicts with 35 X 12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers...now I'm considering trading it in on a new Tacoma.

Due to my afore mentioned mods (tires) my uncorrected (means nothing) MPG's have gone down the shitter (11-12) vs. Tacoma's advertised 20 MPG hwy. This is the catalyst to my thought pattern.

I love the interior space the DC Titan allows me as the entire cab is essentially a large box with no interior volume taken up with drive train hulls, chooncy storage boxes that rarely get used and silly seats that don't fold up out of the way as I've noticed with the Tacoma's. I do however like the driveability and maneuverability of a smaller truck and the fact I can get one with a manual. I also think Toyota's overall quality, fit and finish is better than Nissan (I've owned a 94 PU, 99 Tacoma and an 03 Tundra). I also like the fact that far more aftermarket parts exist for the Tacoma compared to my truck. I do not plan on over-sizing the tires (because of mpg's) but do like the coilover/leveling options and pre-runner style bumpers available.

So for those who've been down this trail before: will I end up regretting my decision and miss the room and capacity my current truck offers? Does the DC short box (w/ tailgate extender) handle a dirt bike? mulch for a weekend project? a 4X8 sheet of xxxx?

Any input from those who know is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mar 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    If you get a Tacoma, make sure to get the towing package. You get a class 4 hitch, much bigger alternator, bigger battery, higher overall ratnigs for stuff.

Add some $300 firestone airbags, and you can throw anything you want in the bed basically. a 4x8 plywood will NOT fit between the wheel wells though. If you haul plywood around all day this may matter to you.

Your MPGs will prob be the same, most people here seem to get 15-16 city and 18-20 highway. It varies all over the place but that seems to be what I read most. Plus you'd obviously never in the lifetime of the truck make up the trade-in price difference by saving gas.

Tacoma/Tundra are both the most reliable trucks on the market according to JD power recently, so that is something.

That being said I don't own and have never owned a Titan, but good luck on your decision!

3. Mar 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    tommelleo22

tommelleo22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Castle, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport off road
    Yellow Fogs kicker cvr 10's alpine ivaw205 head unit, leveling kit
    turnone i went from an 05 titan le to a tacoma. i'm happy with my decision gas milage wise and love my tacoma but i do miss the titan a lot :/ i love both of the trucks tho

4. Mar 25, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    tacosrule

tacosrule Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD Sport
    OEM Roof Rack, Aries Nerf Bars...... hopefully more to come!
    I had a 2007 F150 and i liked it, never had any problems with it, but after having my taco, i dont miss it

5. Mar 25, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Last time I measured, I think there is 42 or 44" (can't remember) in between the wheel tubs, so not enough for drywall or plywood to lay flat. But it still hauls 4x8 sheets very well by resting them on the top of the tailgate and angling them down to the back of the cab.

6. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Why not undo all the mods and enjoy the features and capabilities of the Titan with better MPG?

7. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Best advise I can give you is test drive it as much as possible. I know a lot of people who come from full size trucks to the Taco and expect it to ride and handle just like a full size. Don't get me wrong Taco's ride and handle great, better then most full sizes IMO, but some don't agree. Whatever the case Taco's last forever, mine is 13 years old with 170k runs like new and everything still works on it.

8. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    i went from an 05 titan to a 2010 tacoma and i dont regret it. the only thing i miss about the titan is the power that it has; that truck was fast. but the tacoma is easier to park , easier to manuever, cheaper to maintain, and gets better gas mileage. even with the lift and larger tires on my tacoma, i am still getting better gas mileage than i did with the titan. i also appriciate the rear under seat and behind the seat storage that the tacoma has. the titan didnt have that and i had no where to store tie downs, rope, hitch, etc...

9. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    turnone

turnone [OP] Member

Member:
    Sound advice, thanks for your input.

Undoing the lift on my truck is a lofty chore, it's a bracket lift which is a lot of work to undo...that's assuming I hadn't thrown away all my stock componentry. The Titan stock still was only (at best) 17-18 mpg's on the highway.

Yeah, my Titan has decent power but often times when throttling it I can't help but thinking it's just making a lot of noise but ain't going nowhere. Seems like a heavy truck.

I do plan on upgrading the Tacoma's suspension but don't want to go much larger with the tire size for reasons of mpg's. What kind of gas mileage are you (or other folks) getting w/ slightly oversize tires? I'd like to go w/ BFG AT's slightly over stock size.

Thanks all.

10. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    If you have all that invested in your Titan, and your only issue is mileage, I would consider staying put a couple more years and seeing what the Tacoma redesign offers. Then you will have the option of a new third gen or a used second gen.

I think financing a new truck will wash out any mileage savings and you could wind up spending lot more. And you can get a couple more years out of the money you put into the mods.

Also, consider the Tundra if you are worried about downsizing to a mid-sized. From what I hear, Tundras get about the same real-world MPG as the Tacoma, but they are more $$$. Also, if gas prices climb and stay over $4/gallon, as some experts are predicting for next year, you may find great deals on the Tundra, which is what happened when the new Tundra was rolled out in the midst of the previous gas crisis of a few years back.

11. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I'm using 33x10-16s (255-85-16) BFG MT KM2s and the MPG seems to be right in line with what others are getting on stock tires. MAYBE 1-2 MPG lower. If you don't need giant fat tires (which only help if drag racing anyways, skinny tires tent to do better in offroad situations which is why all those expedition vehicles you see on tv use em) then you can get good gas milage, tall tires, and good offroad grip, all from a 255/85R16 tire.

12. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    i came from a 2006 titan le crew, BT, sounds like you have great set up> PRG products are the shit. I almost ordered from greg but then i realized i always wanted a toyota P/U lifted. milage was never a issue with me. I sold all my toys and the kids moved out of the house so i did not need the big truck anymore.i had mine right where i wanted it, uprev, exhaust and headers, intake blah blah blah. I do miss the power of the titan and the room but the tacoma is more capable as off road IMO being lighter and all.. yes you will miss the room and power, if you do get tacoma get at least a sport model because the basic package like i got> the seats suck ass and uncomfortable as hell. I opted for the 2.7 access cab 4x4, it gets me where i am going> my needs are different from yours, i bought mine to lift it and add aftermarket lifts, lockers etc..... i do not have any regrets.... i loved my titan but i love my tacoma more than the titan....

13. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Pictures of your truck?

14. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    not sure if you wanted OP pic or mine so just in case here's my old Titan. :D

titan.jpg

15. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    5.7 Tundy's do not get similar mileage to Taco's unless you think 13 MPG's is normal for a Taco.

16. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    Tsiawd2002

Tsiawd2002 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Columbus, IN
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 DC LB
    I had an 04 le with a 6" Pro Comp. I have an 05 dclb now and I must say that I really miss the Titan. I miss the interior space, towing capacity and general comfort of the Titan. I also liked how different the Titan was. I see 100 Tacomas a day and only one Titan in my town(my old one). The Tacoma is growing on me but if I had the chance I would probably get another Titan.

17. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    thats similar to me :cool:

18. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    Well...lift a 5.7 Tundra and run over sized rubber, and you'll be looking at 10. :p

19. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    that would suck!:)

20. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    My buddy had one and blew the rear diff, said it was a common problem with those. The diff is the smallest for any full size truck. Its even smaller than on the tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top