1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

to clutch or not to clutch?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sandhopper, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jan 21, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    Sandhopper

Sandhopper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have had a few manual transmissions in my years of ownership and I was taught to clutch every shift but with modern transmissions, once rolling, it is much easier to shift with out the clutch. I imagine this saves the clutch plate but is there additional wear to the synchronizers? Semi drivers rarely use a clutch, so is it recommended to shift without the clutch in the taco?

2. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    DCtaco05

DCtaco05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dustin
    petaluma
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma trd
    bone stock.. not for long
    use the clutch thats what it is there for. its unless you are having clutch problems and you need to get to a shop or home. lol

3. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I think that if you don't use the clutch to shift it kills your syncro gear. Something I read in car and driver

4. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN GEORGIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i use the clutch in my tacoma but i used to drive my work rig that way fuck double clutching 10 hours a day lol.

5. Jan 21, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    You mean slip shifting? Big rigs don't have syncros. You do. Double clutching or slip shifting a semi are almost the same thing for them. For you its putting stress on your syncros every time you aren't perfectly syncing the gears.

Like guy above said. You can get tired double pumping a super duty clutch through 10 speeds all day.. but with a lo-performance clutch on hydraulics? Best way to save your clutch is to drive sanely. I've never replaced a clutch on a car that I bought with a good clutch. EVER.

Unless you value your clutch more than a transmission rebuild, or are missing your left leg, you just ought use the clutch. You'll be replacing something in 50-120k miles anyway.. Might as well make it a 20 dollar clutch disk. You mess up a gear, sometimes they just aren't available to replace.

EDIT: I just realized, this is probably a troll post.. Eh.. some kid will think about it someday and read this I suppose.

6. Jan 21, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    Use your clutch.

7. Jan 21, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    BarefootBandit

BarefootBandit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double-Cab TRD Sport 6-Speed
    The only time I don't is when I'm coming to a full stop and I can feel that there is no more load holding the gears. Else I'm sure it's no good for your synrcos,

8. Jan 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    Eman5pt0

Eman5pt0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    NY
    im with everyone else use the clutch, im sure you will get more life out of your clutch and trans

9. Jan 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Tractor/trailer drivers don't use clutch ?? They use it twice when double clutching, no synchros in those 18 - 23 speed Allisons, IH, etc;

10. Jan 22, 2011 at 1:31 AM
    VancityCK

VancityCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic AC TRD Offroad
    They should use them. When I learned the 18 speed, the instructors taught us that yes, you can shift without using the clutch if you're really good, but even then, everyone has bad days and screws up and clutches are a helluva lot cheaper than transmissions. Screw up a little and you take that transmission that should last 300,000 miles and you take it down to less than half that

11. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    Sandhopper

Sandhopper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the responses and it sounds unanimous. Sounds like slip shifting should be reserved for when the clutch is not functional.

To Top