1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To JBL or not to JBL... that is the question!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gordynor, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dec 7, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Visually my speaker has a larger than avg magnet than other 6x9's and it sounds awesome are you happy with my statement now sheesh :deadhorse:

2. Dec 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed: :goingcrazy::goingcrazy::goingcrazy::goingcrazy:

which pretty much sums up the whole industry.

3. Dec 7, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
  4. Dec 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    spartanhockey6

spartanhockey6 My truck rattles, A LOT.

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ashland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Trd Sport
    KING 2.5" Coilovers, OME nitrochargers in the rear with Dakar leaf pack, All Pro Apex front bumper.
    Don't go with the JBL's. I mean , for the money i spent extra i could of put a dope system in my truck. down the road i'll be changing speakers and putting a real sub in. Don't get me wrong, the Jbl's are alright, but compared to aftermarket..no.

5. Dec 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
  6. Dec 7, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Why? You haven't asked the OP what his budget is, what his end goal is, if he likes paper or synthetic cones, what he's pairing the speakers to, or what type of sound he's looking for. You can't make a recommendation yet.

7. Dec 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Yes I can, everyone is entitled to my opinion :)

8. Dec 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    You didn't share your opinion.... you told him what to do....;)

9. Dec 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
  10. Dec 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
  11. Dec 8, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    gordynor

gordynor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Steering intermediate shaft TSB, Rear leaf TSB, Bilstien 5100 F&R, Viair 400 mounted under the hood, rear diff breather, re-routed crossmember exhaust, fixed GPS mount, in-dash CB radio, double din HU, trimmed mud flaps, etc...
    You guys rock! I love the banter! In the end, I went with the JBL because they had the exact truck I was looking for at the price I wanted... it just happened to come with the JBL system. After reading these posts I would have probably preferred it without the JBL, but it wasn't an option. As for sound quality, yeah, it's OK. It's not the best, but I'll enjoy it. Maybe I'll swap junk out in a few years...

Thanks a lot, everyone!

12. Dec 8, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    Not trying to step on any toes, but I believe the JBL/bluetooth is $700.00 more.

I guess if you're really in to hi fi, a full upgrade will be in order.

I just wanted good sound in my truck because the high end stuff is in the house. And the bluetooth is a must for me.

To each his own, whatever the preference may be.

Good luck...

13. Dec 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Bean&Cheese

Bean&Cheese Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
    "Speakers don't change between JBL/non-JBL. " When you have rep you cant be spitting opinion out as if its fact, it makes you look stupid.

That being said if your not a audiophile the JBL system is not bad and it sounds a lot better than the stock in terms of clarity and bass. I was forced into one and surprisingly I have kept it for almost two years, which is amazing for me. You might just meet up with someone in your area who has it and listen to it. Mine will be for sale in mid January if you decide you like the way it sounds.

Good luck and remember anything is better than stock (IMO).

14. Dec 8, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109

Congrats on the new truck!

15. Dec 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Bean&Cheese

Bean&Cheese Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
  16. Dec 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    You do realize that the rep points mean absolutely nothing, right? I can get more rep by posting in the off topic section than by continuously pumping out knowledge.

I reserve the right to be wrong at times, and if you take a single person's knowledge here as fact, you are going to be in for a rough time. Even if you assumed chris4x4 was your technical Jesus, you'd still end up with most of your cooking appliances destroyed.

This is the first picture I've seen of someone who had taken out the JBL speakers. From all that I read, I had only seen where the amp and sub were added, with emblems on the speaker grilles and the HU (though the HU itself is unchanged in spec). The "tweeters" are identical in appearance except for the sticker and the black bracketing.

Additionally, counter to popular belief, the "tweeter" is not a "tweeter". It's a small midrange. Should I now jump on everyone and call them stupid for not having the proper facts?

17. Dec 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Rep added, LOL

18. Dec 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Well, there's tweeters, midranges, midbass drivers, and subs (i don't think I'm leaving anything out... supertweeters??). The upper speaker in the tacoma is closer to a midrange in how it works, but it's mistaken based on the placement. Car companies usually try to eliminate highs and lows to please a more mainstream audience; tweeters can be too piercing and subs can be too boomy, and most people don't like hearing music the way it actually sounds.

19. Dec 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Twitter? is this a hashtag?

20. Dec 10, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    gordynor

gordynor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Steering intermediate shaft TSB, Rear leaf TSB, Bilstien 5100 F&R, Viair 400 mounted under the hood, rear diff breather, re-routed crossmember exhaust, fixed GPS mount, in-dash CB radio, double din HU, trimmed mud flaps, etc...
    So tomorrow morning I'll be swapping the stock JBL HU for a Sony XAV-70BT double DIN. I'm curious to see how the sound changes after I get that thing installed. I had a similar Sony in my BMW and it really sounded awesome!

I'll post a pic of it installed afterwards.

Products Discussed in

To Top