1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To lift or not to lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dionysis, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    dionysis

dionysis [OP] G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB SWB Auto V6 Stock, for now
    I will start with, I have read so many lift threads that my eyes are bleeding...

I really like the and the However, I am not sure if this is more than I need. I live in Colorado and the reason I upgrade vehicles is so I can get to some of the places I want to for my landscape photography hobby http://www.jamescasteel.com. My old vehicle wouldn't even make it up Yankee Boy Basin. I know that my taco trd sport stock, with the 255/75/17's I just put on it will make it up there without too much issue. But there are other trails like Schofield Pass or some sections off Engineer Pass that I am unsure of.

I used to do this stuff in my FJ40 without thinking about it. Is my stock setup enough to do these without beating up my truck, or is 2" enough? Could I just get away with putting Billies on the front at .85 with the rest of my stock equipment just to level it?

I don't want to do too much because this is still my daily driver at 300+ miles a week. But I feel I definitely want to do enough. What are your thoughts? I only care a little about looks, performance is the most important in this for me.

2. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    pivey14

pivey14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Fuel Clash 6 17” wheels 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers 1.5” Level Kit TRD Pro Grille with Raptor Lights TRD Pro Floor Liners TRD Pro Shifter Knob Lunar Rock Interior Trim
    You could do what I am going to do. I'm getting the exact same 5100 kit that you linked. I'm going to set the billies at .85 and the Eibach coils will add 1.6" bringing the front end to just under 2.5 (2.45). You can select the back options to what you want. the 1.5" TSB AAL will level your truck out with the eibachs and billies set at .85 (I'm doing the 1.5" AAL). The 2" AAL will keep the factory front lean.

3. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Do you have a budget for this little project? I also read that you just got new tires.. Are you looking to go to a larger tire at some point in time?

4. Jan 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    dionysis

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I don't currently have a budget, I am willing to do whatever will work, I am really looking for the minimum requirements to do what I need in the mountains. But that said, I don't want to go crazy with my truck. UCA's & suspension is fine with me, but I think ICONS / KINGS may be a bit unnecessary.

As far as tires, I think I am really happy with the 255/75/17's. I think they are about the ideal tire for the stuff I do.

5. Jan 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Well, I will put my vote in for the OME kit with Dakar leafs... The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but performs very well offroad. The Bilstein 5100 with Eibach coils and an AAL will also be a way to do what you want, but is not as complete of a lifting solution IMO. Either way you will likely want to pick up some UCAs to make sure the alignment gets right.

6. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    In my opinion, if you are going to stick with that tire size the isnt much point in doing a bigger lift, you should be able to skip new UCAs if you stay under 2.5 inches of lift up front. And you wont gain any ground clearance at the rear differential without bigger tires. For what you need it for, a small lift for added ground clearance for the rest of the underbody might benefit you. I would say OME nitrochargers and 884 coils up front, no spacer no UCAs. And a icon progresive add a leaf in the rear if you want to keep some rake. Or if you like the idea of having adjustabilty the 5100s with eibacs should give you around 1.6" of lift set at zero. Then you can raise it up another .85 if you want to go higher. The higher you go the more likely you will need UCAs and for every inch you gain you lose an inch in downtravel.

7. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ Also very solid advice

8. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    255/75/17 is only 5/8" smaller in diameter than the popular 285/70/17 size , resulting in a difference of just over a 1/4" of clearance

No rubbing issues with the 255's either

9. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Thanks. Normally i would be with you and vote for 885s and dakars also, because thats what i have and i love it. But in the OP's case he doesnt need the lift to accomadate for bigger tires, and it seems like he really is looking for function over form. One of the reasons why i chose my lift is because i love how it looks with 2.5-3" of lift and bigger tires, along with alot of other reasons. So i say save some money on the lift and invest the money you saved on skid plates to make it more trail worthy.

10. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    See my post above

11. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    You don't need any lift at all IMO. If you're tires fit and do not rub then putting a "lift" on it won't do much for you for ground clearance. You're tire size does that. Good choice on size btw. a true 32 :thumbsup:

If you want a little more room, or just want better shocks a mild lift will do ya.

Perhaps just replace your shocks for now. I have OME shocks on my 93 but no lift at all because I don't need it unless I bump up to 35s and don't want to do too much cutting.

I vote no lift, just new shocks to minor lift like billies at .85 or 1.75 and an aal or new leaf pack. least needed to most needed.

12. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Good point. That also adds to what i pointed out. He asked if 2" of lift is enough, why go more and add stress to your front suspension and possible need new UCAs if your not gaining much ground clearance from another inch. I think he might benefit from more clearance for the rest of the underbody of the truck besides the differential if he did a ~2" lift and kept his current tire size.

13. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Well they are still bigger...

14. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yeah , 5/16" above and 5/16" below the axle

15. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I know. More lift in front helps with rubbing issues caused by 285s because they are 30mm wider, not as much bacause they are 5/8" taller. I didnt specify a size, wider, bigger whatever. Alot of people lift their truck to allow for bigger (wider also) tires. I dont get your point, are we both saying that in the OPs case there isnt much point in doing a full 3 inch lift. He asked if his truck would do well offroad as is, and also is 2" of lift enough

16. Jan 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    dionysis

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies, it truly has helped. I was hoping to get the TSB leafs done today because I keep bottoming out my suspension hauling stuff. Since I was into my extended warranty period they would only do it for the low price of $2100.

I haul my dirt bikes and or a small trailer around so it appears that I will either be looking into a new leaf pack or an AAL with a small 2" lift so I don't look stupid. I like the Billies adjustability but i don't know if I would ever use it beyond the first time. Then again, you can't complain about OME. When I had my FJ40 they were the only one worth owning.

17. Jan 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Stock shocks sucks. At least change that if nothing else. Like everyone said, no need for a lift and setting the 5100's at .85 will probably be enough for what you need it for. For about half of what they quoted you for the TSB leaf, you can get a complete OME kit though 5100's will only run you about $300.

Products Discussed in

To Top