1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To nose up?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Lunercrab, May 20, 2019.

1. May 20, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    20190520_192810.jpg So this is the first travel trailer I've ever owned and towed. Dry is close to 4k. First off how do you turn off the over drive? Truck pulled pretty well as to be expected I could feel it pulling weight. But I noticed it didn't seem firm. Like it felt as tho while driving the truck was rocking a tiny bit front to back :/ and once I got it parked I noticed it seemed a bit up in the air in the nose section. Does it look bad? I'm guessing airbags wouldn't hurt to install. Is there other options then air bags? Any advice to make things even smoother I'd appreciate. Oh also if you're on a hill and you're say at a light what's the best way to pull out without the camper pulling you backwards so much?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. May 20, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Airbags are the best, especially if you tow/haul more than 4 times a year. It drives way better, you don't blind people and it doesn't look jenky.

I have them on my ford and you can't tell when there's 1900lbs of soil in the rear.

3. May 20, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    sumo springs but 4k is a lot of weight and like bishop84 said if you plan on towing that much weight often then airbags would suit you better IMO

4. May 20, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    Sterling_vH111

Sterling_vH111 Go do something real instead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Prerunner V6
    Secretly Long Travel & Supercharged
    I’d get airbags for sure if it’s 4000lbs dry.

To get out of overdrive, simply move the shifter from “D” to “4”. Assuming you are a second gen. automatic transmission.

On a hill, just be quick with your foot ?

Could double foot the brake / gas, but I’d make sure you have the motion down before you accidentally do something you don’t intend on doing.

5. May 20, 2019 at 6:31 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Sorry but if I shift over to 4 in auto doesnt that throw me into "auto manual mode"? It's a 3rd gen 2019 off road

6. May 20, 2019 at 6:59 PM
    Sterling_vH111

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Prerunner V6
    In that case, any gear selection past 4th is technnically an overdrive (ie:5th and 6th).
    4th gear is a 1:1 ratio with the engine and trans, 5th and 6th will spin the trans FASTER than the engine.

If you go into S mode where you can manually change gears, all you really have control over is: what the highest gear the transmission will shift into

Ie: If you go into S4, while towing, and come to a stop, there is no need to manually shift down each gear.
    BUT, I believe you will have to manually ALLOW the transmission to go back into the higher gears until you get back into 4th.

This is done by upshifting each gear, or just going into D until you reach cruising speed and then going back to S4. I could be wrong about this, and you might be able to just leave the shifter to S4 and it will shift up and down, but I dont think so, I have not driven a 3rd gen in almost a year.

Couple hings to note:
    - Slapping the shifter over to S will almos always put you into S4, unless you are going at a slow speed where the trans needs to be in a lower gear.
    - Engine RPM will be higher in each lower gear, so MPG will definitly take a hit.\
    - Sadly, I dont thing there is a "Overdrive off" button on 3rd gen tacomas. As far as I know, the above method would be the best way to simulate it.

I'd try doing the above ^^^, with the transmission in S5, and if you still feel like you need more power, go to 4th.

7. May 20, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Sorry guys duh forgot to load the pic. So again how does this look to you guys? Put the pic in the original post

8. May 20, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's down a lot, this takes more weight off the front axle (not as big of a deal as it used to be) but the idea is to keep as much weight forward as possible. With weight off the front axle this means the heavier front brakes are taking less load and are less effective. This also makes steering lighter. Again your headlights are also pointed way up and blind other drivers.

Sumo and overload springs correct this, but at the cost of ride quality during daily driving. https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssr-611-40/

Air ride simply needs minor maintenance and a compressor inboard or outboard and manually set. https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p225/FireStone_Ride-Rite_Air_Bags_for_2005-2018_Tacoma.html

Another alternative that is tow load specific is weight distributing hitches. https://www.curtmfg.com/weight-distribution/hitches

The style I would avoid is the Hellwig, https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/hellwig-helper-springs/toyota/tacoma they are noisy, bouncy unloaded and I see more complaints on them than the other styles.

9. May 21, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    Sterling_vH111

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Prerunner V6
    I’ve had great luck with weight distribution hitches, towing a similar sized toy hauler, but with a 1st gen tundra.
    They work really well.

10. May 21, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Honestly the WD hitch is set for the guys 08 Tacoma. I'm thinking since my truck is taller I need to readjust where he linked his chains. But would I move the chains down or up if my truck is higher? I was thinking of scraping the older Reese one and getting the camco recurve we hitch

Products Discussed in

To Top