1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To owners of Rpod size trailers. Do you wish you bought bigger?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Skidog1, May 9, 2017.

1. May 9, 2017 at 6:12 AM
    Skidog1

Skidog1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD 4x4 Sport DCLB
    The Forest River Rpods and Jayco Hummingbirds tow easily but do you wish you bought something a little bigger?

MarX and gersus like this.
  2. May 9, 2017 at 3:41 PM
    CO TacoBoy

CO TacoBoy All the kids on Folly love Taco Boy!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRDOR DCSB, 2016 4Runner, 2012 FJ
    Quite interested myself, or in feedback from any RPod / Hummingbird owners.

I'm anticipating purchasing a Hummingbird 17FD this winter (basically the Rpod 178), but am a bit nervous about pulling it - aiming primarily for our mtns (> 10,000 ft elevation) and over the passes to Utah.

MarX likes this.
  3. May 9, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    North55

North55 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    St Joseph Island, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    We just picked up our Hummingbird about 10 days ago. So far we have no regrets. We love the size of it, it is well put together, and it tows behind the Taco well. The big test for us will be in early June when we set out on a two month, 8,000 mile trip going west around Lake Superior, through the Canadian Prairies, the Rockies, the BC mountains, Vancouver Island, then back through the northern US states, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

4. May 9, 2017 at 8:19 PM
    CO TacoBoy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Nice trip! Please post pics.

MarX likes this.
  5. May 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    airsavage

airsavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Butch
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4x4 MGM, 2000 Prerunner
    To North55. I am really interested in anything you have to say about the Hummingbird. I must have looked up specs on every trailer made that is 20 feet long. I really like the Lance 1575 but talk about sticker shock. The ones that are 2 years old are running about 23K. The other 2 trailers I have been looking at are the Hummingbird 17RK and the Flagstaff E-PRO 17RK. E-PRO 17RK is laid out like the Hummingbird but has a kitchen which is a bit nicer. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. We have logged about 35K miles in a popup and are wanting to upgrade because a bear tore our cooler apart while camping at Yosemite NP. It was under the popup and my wife wanted a hard sided camper ever since.

MarX likes this.
  6. May 12, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    North55

North55 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Vehicle:
    Airsavage. We are taking the Hummingbird out for the first time Sun-Tues to a local campsite, so will have more to say about it after we camp in it. We looked at a lot of trailers over several months before deciding on the Hummingbird. We wrestled between the RK and RB model. We liked the storage space and kitchen in the RK. We liked the bigger bathroom and the dinette in the RB (where you could look out the window rather than looking at the bathroom in the RK. We really could have gone either way but we ended up with the RB. Our dealer was excellent when we picked it up (Christie's RV in Sault Ste Marie). We've been testing it out on our driveway and the quality seems good so far. Everything we've tested works as expected. We haven't tested the water systems yet because up to a few days ago it was still going below freezing at night. So I'm going to test the water systems this weekend. The big test will be when we live in it for two months this summer as we travel across the country.

Skidog1[OP] and MarX like this.
  7. May 12, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    MarX

MarX Hotdogs, spam and skittles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NE Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Tacoma TRD sorta Sport 4X4, 2009 Tundra SR5 workhorse
    RETRAX bed cover, Tailgate lock, TRD exhaust. 887's, LR UCA'S, Bilstein 5100's and Deavers AAL.
    We love our RPOD, we bought for comfort at night and during inclement weather. Size is perfect as were always outside. I look at it this way even when ya go big you always wish later it was bigger lol.

Chipskip and Skidog1[OP] like this.
  8. May 13, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    I can give reverse perspective. I bought bigger, a 2011 Forest River 22xl or something, it was like 26' long, had a rear corner bath, and weighed around 4500 lbs.

Towing it was very unfun in the Tacoma. Ended up buying a bigger truck.

Aerodynamics played a big part, and the rPods are pretty aerodynamic. In the end, towing a trailer that weighs more than you truck (or if you truck is about the same weight), makes you very nervous on bridges and places where the trees cannot block the wind.

And I had a WD hitch with built in swaybars on the hitch, it was around $600, so not a cheap unit. It was better, but still not great.

In the end the only reason I go camp is to spent time outdoors anyways, my TT is a bed, AC, and a potty at night.

Skidog1[OP] likes this.
  9. May 15, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    Adk46er

Adk46er Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB MGM
    OEM bed mat Redarc Liberty brake controller Softopper US Truck Cap Rack Predator steps Tailgate inserts Bumpershellz Rear SumoSprings
    I had a rpod 173t. It had a lot of character and towed very easy. Hardly any storage, but you learned to be creative with the space it had. My kids are 10 now so we bought a Cherokee Wolf Pup 16bhs last summer. Not as fun as the rpod, but has more storage and bunks for the kids. It's still small enough to be easily towed.

I would entertain the thought of getting another rpod when the kids move out, but a Casita is top on my wish list.

20151011_112921.jpg
    20150813_181256.jpg

MarX, Phoosa, Chipskip and 1 other person like this.
  10. May 15, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    After looking at the R pod we settled on this.
    17FQS Coachman Clipper. We get claustrophobic
    In the R pod.
    Tacoma pulls great up a six percent grade to the campground.

IMG_20170427_1604460.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  11. May 16, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    uno676

uno676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lonnie
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCB Long Box 4x4
    What altitudes are you towing at? I'm trying to figure out what camper to get was looking at big pop ups but they are to heavy from my calculations. Thanks

12. May 16, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    Campground is at 8000 feet. Planning a trip to Aspen Glade campground in Colorado in June.
    Not worried about pulling it at all
    Tag on tongue says 3179 lbs dry. Filled tank with 30 gallons of water. Not a problem.
    This why we liked the extra room.
    IMG_20170428_0808087.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Dhannah, MarX, Phoosa and 2 others like this.
  13. May 17, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    North55

North55 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Vehicle:
    Airsavage. Our shakedown weekend with the Hummingbird went well. Everything works and we are impressed with how this trailer is put together. It's compact for sure, but manageable, there's only two of us camping in it, no kids, no pets. It was chilly the first night, just above freezing outside, but the heater worked like a champ keeping us warm. As for towing, the taco pulled it well on the flats. There is one hill we went up which pushed the taco. It's a 2-3 mile long hill, average grade is 4% with some spots at a 9% grade. At the steepest spot, the taco was struggling to hold speed, dropping 3-5 miles/hour, with the gas pedal to the floor, in third gear. But other than that one steep grade, the taco and trailer seem matched well for towing.

Chipskip, Skidog1[OP] and CO TacoBoy like this.
  14. May 18, 2017 at 4:45 AM
    airsavage

airsavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Butch
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4x4 MGM, 2000 Prerunner
    What kind of MPG did you get? Do you monitor the transmission temps? I put a scan guage 2 on my truck and it is great for trans temps, MPG, engine temps or what ever you may want to monitor.

15. May 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    North55

North55 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Vehicle:
    I am having trouble monitoring tranny temp. I have a bluetooth adapter for the OBD Port, and the Torque Pro App for my Android phone. It monitors many things, but won't give me a tranny temp. I've been reading on the forum that I need to set it up manually to read tranny temp, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Does anyone know how to set it up on the Torque Pro App? Or is there another app that will read it automatically without fiddling with it?

16. May 18, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    taco pod

taco pod Member

Member:
    We have had an Rpod 177 for about 6 years - pulled with a Honda Pilot until last fall - we now have a 2017 Taco Double Cab.
    Getting the Tacoma was a big improvement in the towing dept. We really like the Pod - having something bigger would be nice at times, but having a small trailer is sure nice getting in and out of remote forest campgrounds. 2 Adults and a dog - plenty of room, and unless the weather sucks we are typically out doing something anyway. They are kind of slapped together - I am sure to keep them lightweight they have to use lightweight materials.. I think for the money it is a good trailer, and has been reliable for the most part.TACO POD TEMPERANCE.jpg

TWENTYCO, MarX, Chipskip and 2 others like this.
  17. May 28, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    CO TacoBoy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I'm impressed. Downtown here we have this tucked away campground on the creek that I routinely walk past. I saw a Pilot / RPod 178 combo from California. No matter how you slice that, they did some measure of climbing and altitude to get to Golden.

Doesn't make me less nervous about towing with the Tacoma, but it was interesting to see.

Chipskip likes this.
  18. May 29, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    Cocanyoncarver

Cocanyoncarver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD
    I have been towing a Jayco that is about the same dry as this is wet and tow to South Park and have no and I mean no problem, keeping the speed limit or more up the hills.

19. May 30, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    Sandyman

Sandyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sandy
    Los Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC Sport Limo
    Just me
    My wife and I rented an R-Pod just to check it out. It towed great weighing in at 2500lb dry and minimal other stuff. While it has great character the problem was with us not the camper. As bigger & older folks the small space was difficult to move around in. It had the toilet on the side and was barely shoulder wide. I could do OK but my wife has had both knees replaced and still has mobility issues.

I'm glad we rented first because it could have been a painful mistake to discover all this after purchase. We will look at renting a larger camper that is "Taco-able" later in the summer.

Sandy

huachuca, Skidog1[OP] and Chipskip like this.
  20. May 30, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra

Thanks for the report. We plan to rent before we buy too. I think it will work better for us, but still it is always best to trying before you buy it.

Products Discussed in

To Top