1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To roof rack or not to roof rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by oothefuxdis, Jun 14, 2012.

?

Should I get a roof rack

Poll closed Jul 14, 2012.
  1. YES you'll be glad I have one

66 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. NO you'll never use it

22 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I just got mine, with the tube steps which I already installed. I got it more for the looks than anything. I'm sure i wont be using it very often.

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    bridaw

bridaw The light was yellow, Sir.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SoCal, East San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 6-speed TRD OR 4x4 tow debadged
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    300? The OEM bars are only rated at 100 pounds.

The BajaRack (1st gen rack weighs 35 pounds) + two oversize tent cots at 36 pounds each is pushing the limit of the OEM bars during my off road trips. Last summer I had the storm case full of gear + the BajaRack and after a 5000+ mile road trip -the bars are showing the wear.

Highway bumps are far worse than desert trips because the sandy washes are softer and I go low and slow on the rocky hills. Cruising 70MPH+ and you hit a pothole or a rough transition driving on or off a bridge with loaded OEM bars is harsh. :eek: This summer I'm traveling a bit lighter but I'm still concerned about the bars.

I don't understand getting the OEM bars just for looks. Whatever floats your boat. If you want something on your roof that can support your gear, there are better options available than OEM.

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 3:07 AM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    I am a recovering rack-whore. Every car or truck I have had has gone through several rack iterations trying to find the perfect set up for bikes, windsurfers and kayaks. My dearly departed 09 DC started with the Yakima base rack, which subsequently dented the roof under the feet with less than 150 lbs on it. It was also noisy and could slip around if not installed perfectly (it needed lots of clamping pressure, which also helped dent the roof). I tried the OEM rack after that- it was great looking, not super noisy, and the bars were pretty solid, but you are relying on mostly plastic to hold your gear in place, so stuff really needed to be tied down front and rear to keep it secure. I am about to jump back into the Taco world with a '12 DC, but I will probably go with the Thule bed rack, a modified Yakima Outdoorsman or some custom set-up.
    I guess I'm still recovering.

4. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I have a bed for gear. The roof rack will at most be used for lighter and bulkier items on expeditions, if it gets used at all. It's nice to know it's there if I need/want it :)

5. Jun 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    bridaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    Some people might carry more gear than you. The OEM rack might look pretty but it doesn't hold much.

People should decide based on their needs. I'm glad it suits your yours. It isn't enough for others. :wave:

6. Jun 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No argument with that.

7. Jun 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD double cab with minor mods
    Flow Master 50 Series dual K&N Filter Cheap Toyota Skid Plate (better than Nothing) 2.5 Hell Bent leveling Kit 1.0 blocks on rear 285-75-16 BFG KO High Performance Bed Mat De-Badged Westin Light bar -W/ 3 KC 100watt slim lights
    Who has pics??

8. Jun 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    bridaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    The first page has a link to this thread with plenty of pictures.

9. Jun 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    I have a second bar coming up from my trailer hitch that I put on for the canoe or long lumber. Don't have anywhere to store the cab rack so it stays on. I did it this way so I can travel with my gear in the bed, canoe up top and tonneau closed to keep stuff dry and out of the weather.

10. Jun 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    I'm planning on getting the OEM. All I am going to carry is a 10' Kayak......maybe 2 later on. Do you guys think OEM will be sufficient?

11. Jun 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Gotcha88

Gotcha88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Light Racing UCAs, 285/70r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Eagle 185s, 20% tint all around, Magnaflow 11256, Cobra CB with 2' Firestik, De-Badged, BHLM, UltraGauge, K&N Drop-in, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All-Weather Mats.
    Makes sense now! :eek:

12. Jun 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    bluefish

bluefish overkill is underrated

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    A vehicle without a roof rack is like a one legged prostitute. Yeah, it works, but there are some tricks it just can't turn.

I use mine a lot (rhino rack). I find myself hauling lumber, long PVC and copper tubes, and furniture for work regularly.... On my personal time I put my 15' kayak and surf rods up there. I put a couch up there recently.

To the op... If you have to ask the question, you probably don't need one. But I vote that you should get one because there will be a day when you need to carry a coffin or a 20' tall Christmas tree and you will wish you had it

13. Jul 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    Have the OEM's. Have not used it much BUT the two times I did.... What a godsend.

Also as it has been said; my Taco looks different.:D

Yuma Taco,

14. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    ordered mine the other day....hoping I get it tomorrow.

15. Jul 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    spartanhockey6

spartanhockey6 My truck rattles, A LOT.

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ashland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Trd Sport
    KING 2.5" Coilovers, OME nitrochargers in the rear with Dakar leaf pack, All Pro Apex front bumper.
    I just ordered some Yakima Q clips for my access cab, i have 3 Q towers that are good to go but my 4th is missing the clamp down sooo...yeah, anyways yakima's customer service is good from what i hear and hopefully i can get the part i need. I will most definitely use the rack. i have a yakima basket that will probably go on first maybe mount up some lights or something, also got some ski & snowboard Clamp downs that might go on during the winter. For my mountain bike i just got a dakine tailgate pad that works great.

16. Jul 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    spartanhockey6

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ashland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Trd Sport
    KING 2.5" Coilovers, OME nitrochargers in the rear with Dakar leaf pack, All Pro Apex front bumper.
    BTW, i didn't order the Q towers new from Yakima, they came off our old Subaru.

17. Jul 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    Chitoson

Chitoson Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    12 SR5 DCSB - 23 TRDOR DCSB
    I wish I had one on my truck. I am hoping to pick one up soon for cargo box and canoe use plus I may put some fishing rod racks up there.

18. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    spartanhockey6

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ashland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Trd Sport
    Finally got my rack and basket on. about to order some lights then i'll be good to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=)

19. Sep 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I haven't heard a sound from my roof rack. Of course, I usually have other items (H/AC, radio, etc) on, so these may be drowning out any noise from the rack. Don't know about fuel efficiency, but your premise seems logical.

That's really about all one should carry on the roof. The roof itself can't reliably support much more weight and it's dangerous to shift the vehicle's center of gravity higher with considerable weight on the roof. That said, I have hauled heavier (more than 100-lbs) on my roof rack for short trips (from a nearby store, etc). Both the roof and rack seems to have survived the experience, though I was careful to avoid shocks to those from sudden bumps and similar.

20. Sep 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    spartanhockey6

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ashland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Trd Sport
    Before i added the basket, i had some wind noise around 50mph+ (with the $80 fairing on haha). But hey, it doesnt bother me, plus when im on the hwy i normally have the windows up therefore i cant hear it. Haven't hit high speeds with the basket on yet. Once ski season starts up i'll be debating on taking the basket off and putting my ski racks on. Thanks to Yakima for making assembly and disassembly easy, only took me literally 15min to put the basket on. Also, with the debate about it denting the roof, i'm not looking at hauling rounds of wood up there, try sleeping bags, tents, any lightweight camping stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top