1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To those with a trd supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by MotoXdoer, Dec 24, 2009.

?

To those with a TRD Super Charger

Poll closed Dec 30, 2009.
  1. definitely worth the money

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. should have spent the money on other mods

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. gas mileage sucks

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. not that noticeable in mpg's(no lead foot, yea right)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dec 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    MotoXdoer

MotoXdoer [OP] taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 4.0 a/c beast
    k&n cai 63 series intake, blacked out headlights, blacked out tailights, magnaflow pro offroad 17115 dumped, URD competetion y-pipe, total chaos 3.5" long travel, fox 2.5x8" remote resevoir shocks, allied 4" spindles, toytec 2" AAL, 20% tint up front and 5% rear, satoshi grille, ddm 50w 6000k hid's. wet okole custom trd seat covers with heaters. 4:56 nitro gears with arb rd129 air locker, arb ckmta12 dual air compressor.
    what are you averaging mpg?

2. Dec 24, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    1-2 mpg loss is the average. Don't have one but those are the numbers. If you put your foot into it like you're probably going to though you're gonna lose more.

3. Dec 24, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    MotoXdoer

MotoXdoer [OP] taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 4.0 a/c beast
    k&n cai 63 series intake, blacked out headlights, blacked out tailights, magnaflow pro offroad 17115 dumped, URD competetion y-pipe, total chaos 3.5" long travel, fox 2.5x8" remote resevoir shocks, allied 4" spindles, toytec 2" AAL, 20% tint up front and 5% rear, satoshi grille, ddm 50w 6000k hid's. wet okole custom trd seat covers with heaters. 4:56 nitro gears with arb rd129 air locker, arb ckmta12 dual air compressor.
    im getting 15-16mpg with my current set up. managed to get 17 with cruise on. i heard someone on here was getting an average of 12.

4. Dec 24, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Well if you floor it off a traffic light half the time I wouldn't be surprised. It's mostly about how you drive.

5. Dec 25, 2009 at 1:30 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Mine didn't change. 16.5mpg. You will see an increase if you were to drive for a long period on the freeway cause I have gotten mine up around 19mpg.

6. Dec 25, 2009 at 5:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    How many folks did you "average" for that estimate?? Cause I call shenanigans on a 2 mpg drop. I don't have the TRD blower- but my last truck had a ProCharger and I didn't lose any mpgs compared to the stock ratings (when I was driving normally).

Taking off from lights made it lower- but that's controllable.

7. Dec 25, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    I didn't notice any change in cruising MPG. But the blower does ask to be run a lot more, so watch the throttle and you'll be good.

8. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    From New Jersey to Tennessee, aprox 800 miles in one day, at about 75mph, I got an average 17mpg. Aprox 3mpg less then before. It is very difficult to stay off that pedal. Specially up hill where the truck would slow down, now it keeps pushing. I have to say that I did expected to loose some, but not as much. Winter gas may have something to do with. Overall I think that this is the best investment that I did in this truck. I am pretty sure that, if this would have been installed by the manufacture, the millage would be much, much better and that they could get another (safe) 50HP out if this engine.

9. Dec 29, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Prerunner
    Performance: - TRD Supercharger - URD 2.85 Pulley - APR X-1 - Doug Thorley long tube headers - Magnaflow CAT back - Toytec 3" lift Audio: - Damplifier Pro, doors (x2), rear wall, floor, kick panel & firewall - JL 13TW5 - Polk Audio db6501 - Polk Audio db5251 - Alpine PDX 1.600 & 4.100 - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
    I love mine!

Been getting 16/17 mpg. Wish the truck had the 6 spd stick vs the 5 spd auto (owell)

BTW: First post; Hi

10. Dec 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    GodHatesUsAll

GodHatesUsAll Reign in Blood

Member:
    First Name:
    Satan
    Six Feet Under
    Vehicle:
    05' Black Sand Pearl XRunner
    TRD Blower//APR X-1//668cc Primaries & 7th inj//URD 2.8"&NST OD Pulleys//AFE StageII Si CAI//URD Fuel Pump//JBA GenII lT's//URD S/S//URD Lite Flywheel//Competition Clutch StageIII//NST Lite Pulleys//Sittin Sic Front coils/Rear Mono leafs//
    Maybe but the trans is junk:mad: I have the TRD blower with many upgrades but the trans just can't handle the power with no pilot bearing!

If Toyota designed the trans with a pilot bearing for the input shaft I would keep my boosted XRunner, but now I'm thinking of ditching it for a DubCab 4X4 TRD edition with an AUTO

11. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    GodHatesUsAll

Member:
    First Name:
    Satan
    Six Feet Under
    Vehicle:
    TRD Blower//APR X-1//668cc Primaries & 7th inj//URD 2.8"&NST OD Pulleys//AFE StageII Si CAI//URD Fuel Pump//JBA GenII lT's//URD S/S//URD Lite Flywheel//Competition Clutch StageIII//NST Lite Pulleys//Sittin Sic Front coils/Rear Mono leafs//
    Well there's plenty of people on XRU that are boosted, myself included, that are having severe issues with the 6spd.

We have one dub cab 4x4 with the TRD blower,APR 7th inj and APR 2.7" pulley and he's auto. He's having no issues and putting down some descent power and fastest 1/4 mile times for that truck. He's beating the XRunners by a few tenths!

12. Dec 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    GodHatesUsAll

Member:
    First Name:
    Satan
    Six Feet Under
    Vehicle:
    APR X-1 is a self tuning computer controller designed for the 1GR, I'm sure this tuner would not allow an auto to boost without upping the fuel flow.
    I'm running it with my XRunner and am very happy with the Options and results! You can run the X-1 with the TRD blower and NOT have to get the ECU reflashed. This way u can take the blower off if u decide to sell the truck and sell the blower separately if u wanted. With the ECU reflash u can't

Check it, it's completely plug and play(minus some cam gears and thermostat)
    http://aprpower.com/ECU_mainpage.html

So I would be one that's very happy with buying the TRD blower but only because of the other mods that make it BETTER!

I voted for "Worth the Money"

13. Jan 2, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    david90291

david90291 Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    TRD Supercharger
    I am getting about 18 mpg mixed city and highway diving very conservatively. Its an automatic. I hope for better using higher octane gas. I reported that I was getting 12 but that has been resolved.

14. Nov 23, 2016 at 2:58 AM
    Rigid Racer

Rigid Racer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma S/C TRD offroad
    Please Help! You've reported once getting 12 mpg and you say that's been resolved. What have you done to resolve it? I am currently getting an average of 12 mpg and would be thrilled with the 18 that you're getting. I've experimented with my driving habits and really haven't seen much of a difference aside from once achieving 14.2 mpg on the highway. I've driven it a bit harder and got 10.9 mpg. I mostly do city driving and am curious what I can do to get better mileage?

15. Nov 23, 2016 at 7:53 AM
    SUMOTNK

SUMOTNK Pavement Pounder / Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    NorCal/South Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Indigo Ink Pearl DCSB
    TRD Supercharger w/ URD 2.85" pulley, TRD Gen1 Intake with Volant scoop, 76mm Tundra throttle body with URD adapter, URD/Walbro fuel pump kit, NST lightweight Wp/Alt/Crank pullies, URD Y-Pipe, Doug Thorley Shorties, Custom WickedFlow Exhaust, 5100s @.85" on Spindle-Source 4" lift spindles, 1/4" and 3/8" front strut spacers, LR UCAs, and OME Dakar rear leaf pack and 1.5" lift blocks with Bilstein 5125s, 315/70/17 (35") Kumho on Konig CounterSteer Type-X 17x8
    Mods: TRD blower, 2.85 pulley, TRD intake, DT headers, 35s, etc...
    Driving type: 80% city driving/stop-n-go - 20% Highway
    Area: Northern CA/South Bay Area/Silicon Valley
    Gasoline Octane Rating: 91

Prior to installing the TRD supercharger, my ScanGauge (uncalibrated) showed that I was getting ~14.5mpg. This 14.5mpg was averaged from a few months of driving. I then removed the ScanGuage because I wanted to find a better place to install it.....and then forgot about it.

I then had the TRD blower installed with the 2.85" pulley. I eventually found my ScanGauge, and the memory still had 14.5 mpg as the fuel consumption rate. I plugged the scangauge back in and drove for another few months/fuel cycles. All without resetting the ScanGauge.

The (uncalibrated) Scangauge now reads 13.2mpg fuel consumption rate.... The only difference from the 14.5 avg to 13.2 avg was the installation of the TRD blower with the 2.85 pulley.

IMO, if your driving style and driving environment stays the same..... you'll notice a loss of 1-2mpg difference once you go from NA to FI (TRD blower). Also IMO, the TRD blower is/was worth the $$$. Especially if you live in CA and have to deal with CARB every two years.

(when my truck was bone stock.... I only got ~17mpg).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  16. Nov 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM
    drr

drr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    Lift Tires Bumpers Skids Sliders Winch Lights Lockers Gears Stuff
    That post is almost 7 years old, and that user hasn't logged in since 2014...doubt you'll get an answer from him.
    Are you supercharged? What other performance mods?
    Have you changed gear ratios or tire size?
    Do you keep up on regular maintenance, throttle body cleaning, plugs/wires?
    Have you checked for any codes with a diagnostic tool?
    You say mostly city driving, are they short trips? If the catalytic converters don't get up to operating temperature, they are inefficient and the computer will run in open loop, which uses a much richer fuel mixture. Also the extra fuel will create a lot of carbon which will foul plugs, valves, TB, etc.

17. Nov 25, 2016 at 8:38 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] ProEFI Pro128 EMS [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 170* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Aeromotive Stealth 340 LPH Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    So what happens when you don't have catalytic converters? Is it always in open loop?:rolleyes:

18. Nov 26, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    drr

drr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    My response was aimed at the guy asking for help, who likely has a near-stock exhaust setup, with catalytic converters and O2 sensors, etc.

It looks like you have quite a bit of experience with FI tuning, if you have additional or contradicting information that would improve this discussion, feel free to add it...

19. Nov 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] ProEFI Pro128 EMS [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 170* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Aeromotive Stealth 340 LPH Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Not for the last comment of mine to be taken sarcastically nor condescendingly, but rather to raise the question, lightly. Only that there more be more to the story, as you mentioned. For others to also then ask themselves.

drr likes this.
  20. Nov 26, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    drr

drr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
To Top