1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To those with an MBA, have a question...

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by TNDrew, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sep 28, 2012 at 2:58 AM
    TNDrew

TNDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    To those of you that have an MBA, and weren't business majors, did you take business classes during undergrad? I am mechanical engineering undergrad but am pretty certain I would like get an MBA before I stop with school.

I am going to have a couple of semesters in which I will only have 6 or 7 hours of classes and figured I might as well pick up a few extra classes. So heres what I was thinking, I could take a principles of accounting class and maybe which ever econ class I haven't taken or take a couple of Spanish classes. I had Spanish in high school but it was a joke and I really don't remember much other than how to order a beer. To those who have an MBA or working towards it, What do you think of my choices? Or would you go another route and take different classes?

2. Sep 28, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I was an Accounting Major in both undergrad and grad school (M.Acc.) But I saw this first hand with both classmates and friends.

You need to talk to an academic advisor @ the MBA program that you wish to apply to, as they all have different requirements.

The one thing that is a constant is the GMAT. The higher your score, the easier your life will be.

Good luck!

3. Sep 28, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Quite a number of Engineers return to school to acquire an MBA, usually the schools look for people with prior working experience (2-3yrs min) before looking at them especially when the undergrad degree is of a different nature.

I'd recommend graduating & working as an Engineer for a few years then re-applying for school. This will also help you once you graduate with an MBA at acquiring a solid job.

4. Sep 28, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    TNDrew

TNDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    I had planned on working for a while. I didn't mean going straight through. Just have 2 and a half years or so left in undergrad and trying to plan schedules out for the next couple of semesters.

5. Sep 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Not true, or maybe that's the way it works in Canada. Here in the States, there are several factors, and work experience is nothing but a piece of the puzzle.

6. Sep 28, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    It will definitely be beneficial to have prior working experience but certainly not required I know a few people who went straight through. Some programs are more tailored towards the working professional though. Plus if you do your masters while working your employer will usually pay for some.

I eventually want to get my MBA. My undergrad was in accounting although I'm currently in marketing at my company.

7. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    theduck911

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    I understand that it's a piece and it's much bigger piece then most people realize.

Not entirely (has nothing to do with US vs Canada) I know of quite a number of executives when they go to hire MBA grads for positions they are much more likely to take the one with previous work experience they don't want the hot shot who's been in school for the last 6-7 yrs and thinks they know business from books.

There's no wrong way to go about it but there are ways that are much more beneficial on all fronts in the long run.

8. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    I have been giving thought to this as of late. Engineering work just doesnt seem to be doing it for me anymore and I wanna mix things up a bit.

Got my BSE from Purdue in 2004 and have been working at the same company for almost eight years now.

Now I am more worried about transitioning back to school...dont wanna be "that" old guy in class...

9. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    I think it really depends on where you want to go with your career and what the company is looking for. In some ways it may not be as important but I've interviewed for positions where they were really looking for that at my company they certainly look for that for a lot of positions and its often easier to climb the ladder with those 3 letters. Ultimately if you're that good of an employee and very motivated it may not matter, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I have noticed here at least that the younger people with MBAs seem to have the same level jobs as older people without.

10. Sep 28, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    theduck911

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Are you still doing design/development or are you now doing project management?

There's lots of "old guys" in school now a days, most schools have a MBA for the working professional, making the transition easier.

Most companies if you inform them of your plans will have a position for you when you return, especially since you've been there a while, as you would have insight that other executives don't into that side of the business.

On a side note, a BSE w/ MBA is more valuable and more likely to get hired over a person with a BAdmin (or similar) w/ a MBA. Just something to ponder. :cool:

11. Sep 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    That's hiring AFTER you earned the degree, NOT getting into the program, as the OP asked. I'll agree that getting hired after earning an MBA with work experience will make you more valuable and hireable. But that is not what the OP asked about.

12. Sep 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:

I can almost agree with this. Almost. In todays economy, the ROI on a grad degree is not beneficial at all to the person earning it. Most companies are just not paying the MBA/Masters premiums they were paying before.

But for someone W/O a business background, it may ease their way out of the technical side of an organization.

13. Sep 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:

150% agreed, and we bean counters hate you for it... :mad:

JK, I personally understand. Peeps with engineering backgrounds are used to working/thinking much harder than must anyone with a business education.

14. Sep 28, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I disagree with some of your post. It is proven that a newly graduated MBA gets you a higher salary them a bachelors degree, and for later on in life depending on your career goals a MBA might be, actually more likely critical in obtaining the big C titles. I guess it is all in what you strive for, but saying it is not what it used to be is painting a wide stroke.

OP my advise if you are interested in obtaining an MBA that some business classes such as Econ are crucial. As an engineer supply chain and logistics is an excellent career path and would fit well with an engineering/MBA degrees. Logistic engineers get paid big bucks by 3pl's and consulting companies. I know because I just hired one.

15. Sep 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    hendooman

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    OP, I also see you are in TN, you don't go to school at UT do you? They have probably the best Logistics School in the country, them and Arkansas.

16. Sep 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Your brother being a sample size of 1 isn't really a basis to discredit having an MBA. Still going to be better off with than without most of the time. Not every job market/industry/company is in the shitter.

17. Sep 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I don't have an MBA but know several that do. I would def take any business related classes if that's what your interested in. If only to see if that's the direction you want to go. I knew a few guys that got theirs and were really not happy with the careers they got into and like what was said before. The ROI was not worth it. Maybe if you go to a top notch school it is. I've considered doing it, but my wife has an advanced degree our grandkids will be paying for and I dont really want to add more to the pile.

18. Sep 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    hendooman

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    Good companies who value their employees take advantage of the market right now and hire people that might be out of their class in what we would consider a booming economy. Don't get me wrong, I understand the market is tight and some examples of dumbing yourself down probably do exist out there, but I would question those companies honestly. If an over educated/qualified person is applying for one of my positions and I feel I can get them for below market, I am hiring them for sure. Take advantage of their skill set, and let them make their mark.

19. Sep 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    hendooman

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    You make a good point, there is a lot of talk lately in the news about how riddled with debt people are from getting degrees. I can only imagine what a Doctorate or Law degree does to your debt pile. Wow.

20. Sep 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    My advice is it's a large investment and like some have said, the salaries aren't matching the rising education costs. Higher education is always worth it, especially if you are transitioning to a new career field. My advice and something i wish i took advantage of when i had the opportunity, get some work experience in between undergrad and B school. Try to find a company that offers tuition assistance. My first company did so, and i could've had 60% of my MBA paid for, but i was uncertain if i would stay the entire time at that job and couldn't absorb the financial burden (on top of undergrad loans). I ended up working there for 5 years, hindsight is 20/20.

Education is great, and if you have the opportunity and ability then go for it. Just have your objectives set ahead of time. When the job market tanked here, a lot of peoples solutions were to go back to school so there is a glut of jobless MBA holders running around the city which to some degree diluted it, while others with on-the-job experience rose faster. Unfortunately a lot will have to do with the environment when you finish. The school may help with job placement/recruiting/or internships, more to take advantage of.

To Top