1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To trade it...

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by rockguitar316, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Apr 27, 2017 at 4:46 AM
    rockguitar316

rockguitar316 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Vehicle:
    Now: 2016 WRX stage 2 377hp/350tq. Then: 2016 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT (don't kick me!)
    Alright guys, I've enjoyed my '16 MT TRD Sport. I've had no issues with it and it's been really good to me. I just turned 25 and am getting ready to move out of my parents house. (Go ahead and make fun, I've been saving money like crazy and have never had to worry about budgeting up until now.) So now that the time has come for me to start paying rent, I want to lower my monthly expenses. I started off by just paying off my student loans. I paid the giant chunk. Boom. Done. Now I have that extra money per month to either continue paying for my Taco ($425/mo) and include in rent or was thinking of trading the taco for something less expensive. I had my eye on a 2016 WRX Limited with 43xxx miles on it. My monthly payments would go down and I miss being in a small quick car. I had a Civic Si before my Taco. The Taco is great though for hauling music equipment and fishing gear but ultimately if I can fit a 4x12 cabinet in the back of a WRX it seems like a no brainer. Let me hear your opinions.

2. Apr 27, 2017 at 4:56 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Had? Past tense, so hopefully you have decided against it. It may have problems and driven hard, which is why it was traded in. 43K miles in one year is a lot.

Your Tacoma is much more functional.

3. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:00 AM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    Sounds like you WANT to downgrade (not that an STi is a "downgrade"). Depending on the details of the purchase of your truck you may be slightly upside down on your Tacoma when you trade, just be prepared to roll that over to you STi or go ahead and pay it down. Nobody knows your financial situation better than you, with that being said I put more priority on purchasing a home than I did a vehicle. I bought my home at 22 and drive modest vehicles. Renting is throwing away money (in my area anyway).

uhplifted, Joe D, 2016Tacoman and 2 others like this.
  4. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:02 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Take what you'd been paying on student loans and move it to the truck and knock it out.

Rent a budget level place. Good thing about rent is you can move on when ready.

If you can become debt free quickly, then have the rigor to stay that way (other than maybe a mortgage eventually) you'll have great freedom.

5. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:03 AM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    Keep truck. You're going to be living on your own. No clue when you may need to tow or haul a small load.

6. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:03 AM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    Have you checked the difference in insurance costs? At your age, it might be enough to matter. You also will want to ask about insurance where you are moving to as insurance costs will vary with location as well.

7. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:08 AM
    MetrickMetal

MetrickMetal Praise the Lowered

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Yerington NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White SR5 Access Cab / 4WD, AT / TP
    See my sig for mods
    No offense, but I think you have your priorities all out of whack as far as how you spend and budget your money, and maybe you be better off asking about the WRX on a forum for them, and one would think that at 25 and with a collage education one could figure out their life by themselves.

I don't know about you, but I moved out of my parents house shortly after I got out of high school and went to work full time as I wanted to get out on my own, and I never looked back.

Here is a simple philosophy that has worked out great for me for 63 years, and that's to live within your means.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:24 AM
    rockguitar316

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Vehicle:
    Now: 2016 WRX stage 2 377hp/350tq. Then: 2016 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT (don't kick me!)
    1) WRX Limited... Not an STI.
    2) Not looking to purchase a house as I may go after a different job in the near future (2-3 years)
    3) Lower monthly payment on a WRX and insurance would be about the same (Just turned 25 and rates went down as well as same year vehicle only the WRX is less money.)
    I still have my eye on it. Clean Carfax but you're right that it MAY have been driven hard. The clutch was replaced at 32xxx miles. It's a red flag for sure but I haven't gone to actually look at or drive it.

Guys I do love my Tacoma. I just wish I had the best of both worlds of a quick fun car and the utility of a truck. A hatchback would work well for me to get my music and fishing gear in the back and the Golf GTI's are fun to drive but AWD in the Ohio winters would be nice too.

9. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:46 AM
    BlakeM

BlakeM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Gonzales, LA
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R.SR5.4WD.OMG.LOL.WTF
    I just called Smitty to consult him on the matter.

Smitty says trade that bitch ASAP.

10. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:47 AM
    TacoRD16

TacoRD16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Fox 2.5 RR C/O Fox 2.0 RR Rear Dakar leaf Pack Headstong Brakeline Extension Bracket 16"Konig Countersteer wheels BFG's KO2 285/75r16 All-Pro UCA 1.25" All-Pro APEX Slidders Unided CB w/ Firestick II Lamin-X fog Lens 1" Diff Drop OME 1/2" CB Drip OME Mobtown 3/16" Skid plates: Front, Trans and Transfer case Relentless Hood Brackets AuxBeam Ditch Lights DBCustons Grill "Recolored" Matt Black Relentless High Lift Mount Softopper Diff Breather Mod Tail Gate Inserts HondoGarage Tablet Vent Mount Weather Tech Floor Liner
    Honestly I graduated at 22 bought a 2014 GT mustang modified it and it was fast. Partied all the time and didnt have anyone else to worry about but myself. Fast forward three years I now have a GF, 2 dogs and we go camping all the time. Once you start settling down if you do you are going to wish you still have your truck. I traded in the mustang for the tacoma off road scene and never look back. Sure I miss my manual stick stang but now I have something that i can actually carry things with and people.

In the end just make sure you your positive on the trade in including all the fees or you will essentially be paying the same monthly payment.

bobrown14 likes this.
  11. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:50 AM
    cromad

cromad Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport 4x4
    There's no going back now, but at your age it's likely the interest on your student loans was lower than your trucks so you might have been better suited in paying down the truck. Maybe, maybe not and it's moot so I don't know why I'm even commenting...

But really, without a Taco you can't get pointless advice from us morons!

bobrown14 and Spare Parts like this.
  12. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:53 AM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    He also lost the tax deduction.

Spare Parts likes this.
  13. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    neilbedwell

neilbedwell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Deep in the hills of Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR5 DCSB
    OK. I've spent a great deal of my time counseling people on finances (and learning from my own horrifying mistakes). I'm also an accountant and corporate finance director (if that even matters).

Your post is lacking a lot of details, especially income and whether or not you have any other debt (those dreaded credit cards). That said, I'll take a stab at some advice.

The cheapest car you can buy is the one already in your driveway. You WILL certainly lose money on a car trade. If your truck has been, as you say, good to you then I seriously doubt it's wise to trade it off.

I just read where you said you didn't want to buy a house since you will probably be leaving in 2-3 years. If you pay fair market rent of, let's say, $1,000 per month (for example), then in three years you just spent $36,000 on basically nothing. If you purchased a small house at $100K and a decent interest rate you would easily pay 25% of it off in that length of time (or more) and sell it for at least what you paid for it. Why is that not an option? You could also consider renting it but that's another discussion for another day.

Think long term. Every bad choice has consequences somewhere down the line. We only make a finite amount of money in our lives. Use it wisely.

14. Apr 27, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    TheCookieMonster

TheCookieMonster cookies!!!!!!!!!!!

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    1995 Hi Lux 22re 4x4 5speed
    Michelin MS2 K&N drop in filter
    you don't need a 2016 WRX to save on your monthly expenses, you need to own basic transportation that you buy outright and own for a few thousand dollars, and can use cheaper liability insurance on it to further lower your transportation costs a used Honda Civic is a good car and gets 30 mpgs and is easy to maintain yourself, has front wheel drive for snow/ice driving.

15. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:00 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    My student loan interest was about 3x what the interest rate is on my Tacoma. Student loans are pretty ridiculous honestly.

16. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:02 AM
    cromad

cromad Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport 4x4
    Must have been private? Should have refinanced through the....wait --moot-- Sorry mate.

17. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    rockguitar316

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Vehicle:
    Ok more details, my interest rates on my loans were higher than the Tacoma. My monthly rent will be less than $1000/mo as soon as I find a roommate and move. I'm almost to that point in fact after all expenses I think I'll be right around 500-600/mo. I'm a driving enthusiast. I like driving and I drive a lot so I want something that's fun and rewarding when I drive. @neilbedwell had a great point about the house and @TheCookieMonster had a great point about economy. The WRX has better fuel economy than the Taco and is a rewarding vehicle to drive. Any more opinions, facts, and general comments/experiences? This is great guys thank you all.

Kevindust, bobrown14 and Spare Parts like this.
  18. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:07 AM
    rockguitar316

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Vehicle:
    Also as a side note. My dad's friend's wife has a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 that she lets me drive on rare occasions. That thing is WAYYYYYYYY too fun and I wish I had one in nice condition but that won't happen. This is another reason why I'm leaning towards a WRX. AWD and boost are one hell of a combination that screams fun in the sun... or snow.

19. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    TacoRD16

TacoRD16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Fox 2.5 RR C/O Fox 2.0 RR Rear Dakar leaf Pack Headstong Brakeline Extension Bracket 16"Konig Countersteer wheels BFG's KO2 285/75r16 All-Pro UCA 1.25" All-Pro APEX Slidders Unided CB w/ Firestick II Lamin-X fog Lens 1" Diff Drop OME 1/2" CB Drip OME Mobtown 3/16" Skid plates: Front, Trans and Transfer case Relentless Hood Brackets AuxBeam Ditch Lights DBCustons Grill "Recolored" Matt Black Relentless High Lift Mount Softopper Diff Breather Mod Tail Gate Inserts HondoGarage Tablet Vent Mount Weather Tech Floor Liner
    I hope he doesn't have 8% APR on his truck that would be crazy.

20. Apr 27, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    neilbedwell

neilbedwell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Deep in the hills of Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR5 DCSB
    You WANT the WRX. I get it. But do you NEED it? Is it going to hold its value like the Taco? Dude, everything is a compromise and a sacrifice. I can almost guarantee that if you get the WRX at some point down the road you will regret it. I speak from experience. I've spent more money on cars than most folks here could fathom. 99% of the "trades" I made were driven by desire NOT need. 100% of them were a mistake (even my last one). I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's the truth.

Products Discussed in

To Top