1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To what extent will I need to make mods for AK?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by I'mNotWillieNelson, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Mar 24, 2016 at 2:02 PM
    I'mNotWillieNelson

I'mNotWillieNelson [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 manual access cab 4-cylinder
    Baseball on the shifter.
    Hey Team tAKoma -
    I'm moving up to AK next month. My job will have me driving the McCarthy Road from Glennallen out to McCarthy every 6 weeks or so. I really don't know what the road is like and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make sure my truck is ready to go.

I have an '08 access cab 4x4 4-cylinder with a cap. My two biggest concerns are whether I need more armor for the underside of the rig as well as whether I should pick up a second spare.

From what I understand, the McCarthy road isn't pretty. It's unpaved and not well maintained. I don't have any other additions to the underside of my truck, so I'm not sure if I need a skid plate. I've seen the excellent skid plate review page on the armor/protection forum, but if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

As for the second spare, I've been in the west for a while and in a lot of places out here people carry a second spare along with a plug kit and sealant. I have both of those, but considering how remote I'll be most of the time, I figure a second spare might not hurt, but it could be overkill.

Other items I've picked up include a hi-lift (though I think at 46" mine might be a little short for lifting from the wheel), tow straps, d-rings, 8 gallon gas can, and jump pack/compressor. Again, I'm open to suggestions.

Since I'm arriving in April, I'm hoping to wait to get a remote starter and engine heater till the fall. In that vein, I'm putting Mobil 1 0w-20 in the engine.

Thanks!

2. Mar 24, 2016 at 7:56 PM
    Syntonization

Syntonization tAKoma Godfather

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD Sport dbl cab long bed
    Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 295/70/17. Tuff Wheels 17x8 -13 Offset. Front Suspension: Fox Racing 2.5 Series Extended travel shocks w/ Eibach coil-overs, Total Chaos UCA's. Rear: Dakar Leaf Springs, Fox Racing 2.5 Series Long travel shocks. Superbump Stops. Cab mount frame chop. BruteFab frame sliders. Pelfreybuilt Front bumper, Hi-Clearance Rear w/swingarm and table. Color matched BRM! Superwinch Tigershark TS9500 SR. Morimoto 5Five FX-R Stage III HID Projector retrofit 6000K. Rigid DOT Fog lights, 20" light bar, dually ditch lights. 6500 lm LED underbody rock lights. Fog lights on any time MOD. K&N 77 Cold Air Intake. Flowmaster American Thunder CAT back dual exhaust. CompuStar 2 way remote start w/ 2 stage alarm and keyless entry. White under hood LED strip lighting, with automatic hood pin on/off switch. Dynamat & Dynaliner sound deadening in doors & cab. Kenwood DDX574BH Head unit with Maestro OBDII interface. Rockford Fosgate Punch 5 ch amp with Punch Component tweeters, woofers & sub. USB charging/data ports in blank plug under head unit. Instrument cluster, red and white LED's replacement. Backlit 4x4 selector switch. Anytime on/off Rear-view mirror back up camera. Uniden PRO520XL CB w/ co phased ATT's. Toyota Hood Protector. Coverking Neoprene black w/ red center seat covers. Color matched Devil Horns grill emblem.
    Hey man,

Welcome!

I grew up out in Kenny Lake, which if you're not familiar with yet you will be soon.

The drive from Chitna to McCarthy is about a 3 hour ride on poorly maintained gravel washboard which for a portion is very narrow and has unguarded steep cliffs down to the Copper River. You definitely don't need skid plates, lifted suspension, or any offroad capabilities as the road is maintained (albeit poorly) by the DOT road graders. The items that you've listed here are perfect. The 2nd spare is definitely overkill as long as you carry a plug kit and compressor, but heck if you've got the space why not. As long as you give yourself plenty of time and take the road slowly when necessary, you shouldn't have any problems.

tcBob likes this.
  3. Mar 24, 2016 at 8:54 PM
    I'mNotWillieNelson

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Baseball on the shifter.
    Ah, that's totally awesome, thank you. My concern over the skid plate came from hearing from others that rocks can kick up and damage the oil pan, transmission, etc. While I've never had that problem previously, I was figuring more time on crappy roads could mean more crappy results.

In the meantime, I'm prepping for the drive from Haines through the Yukon to Glennallen. I'll bring cash (Canadian and American) and top off the tank whenever possible. I'll be doing the drive with a buddy in early April so we'll be prepped with overnight gear and keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

Any other tips/tricks/thoughts are always welcome. Thanks again!

4. Mar 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    Syntonization

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 295/70/17. Tuff Wheels 17x8 -13 Offset. Front Suspension: Fox Racing 2.5 Series Extended travel shocks w/ Eibach coil-overs, Total Chaos UCA's. Rear: Dakar Leaf Springs, Fox Racing 2.5 Series Long travel shocks. Superbump Stops. Cab mount frame chop. BruteFab frame sliders. Pelfreybuilt Front bumper, Hi-Clearance Rear w/swingarm and table. Color matched BRM! Superwinch Tigershark TS9500 SR. Morimoto 5Five FX-R Stage III HID Projector retrofit 6000K. Rigid DOT Fog lights, 20" light bar, dually ditch lights. 6500 lm LED underbody rock lights. Fog lights on any time MOD. K&N 77 Cold Air Intake. Flowmaster American Thunder CAT back dual exhaust. CompuStar 2 way remote start w/ 2 stage alarm and keyless entry. White under hood LED strip lighting, with automatic hood pin on/off switch. Dynamat & Dynaliner sound deadening in doors & cab. Kenwood DDX574BH Head unit with Maestro OBDII interface. Rockford Fosgate Punch 5 ch amp with Punch Component tweeters, woofers & sub. USB charging/data ports in blank plug under head unit. Instrument cluster, red and white LED's replacement. Backlit 4x4 selector switch. Anytime on/off Rear-view mirror back up camera. Uniden PRO520XL CB w/ co phased ATT's. Toyota Hood Protector. Coverking Neoprene black w/ red center seat covers. Color matched Devil Horns grill emblem.
    The drive from Haines is beautiful. If you're worried about damaging the oil pan then by all means build it as tough as you want, but I have found that giving myself a good 3 hours from Chitna to McCarthy is slow enough that I've never even gotten a flat tire. I'm sure you'll get more comfortable with it after you see it for the first time, but I don't foresee you having issues as long as you bring the gear you already have, and drive safely.

5. Mar 24, 2016 at 9:21 PM
    Syntonization

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking though, since you're in the lower 48 (I'm assuming?), you may look into a cheap skid plate while you're down there, because freight on things like that are nearly absurd should you decide you want one after you're in Glennallen. Food for thought

6. Mar 24, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I'm sure 99% of people drive stock cars and trucks up there. You should be fine maybe get some good snow tires

IronPeak likes this.
  7. Mar 25, 2016 at 11:48 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Good snow tires like duratracs and upgraded shocks would be a benefit as well. Sounds like you'll be fine though. My wife's stock crv made the trip with 4 passengers gets so I'm sure you'll be fine.

8. Mar 26, 2016 at 11:32 PM
    I'mNotWillieNelson

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Baseball on the shifter.
    Thanks, everybody. I think I'll stick with the stock set-up on this for now. This has been super helpful, though.

As for the tires, I have some solid Dunlops that are all-weather. If I stay up there for next winter, I'll get some snow tires. For now, I plan on getting some "Alpine Sport" chains which came highly recommended.

Truck is at 140k right now. Even though it'll be 10k early, I'm taking it in for a 30k mile check-up down here. I bought it with 104k on it and been good about regular maintenance. Anyone have any suggestions for things I should ask the mechanic to look into?

Yep, I'm coming up from the lower 48. Stocking up on any/everything I can figuring it will be cheaper down here. That included Trader Joe's and Costco runs today that were expensive but so necessary...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    IronPeak and SnowroxKT like this.
  9. Mar 26, 2016 at 11:47 PM
    SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Timing belt? Sounds good and safe driving!

IronPeak likes this.
  10. Mar 26, 2016 at 11:49 PM
    I'mNotWillieNelson

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Baseball on the shifter.
    I was thinking the same! I asked them to look at the timing belt specifically.

Can't wait to get up there and start enjoying the melt and the mud.

11. Mar 27, 2016 at 12:01 AM
    Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    One can never have too many light bars.
    Maybe a few light bars because they're cool.

12. Mar 27, 2016 at 12:44 AM
    SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    :facepalm:

But extra lights do help in the winter.

13. Mar 27, 2016 at 12:48 AM
    httuner

httuner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-OffroadPckg
    AFe Rebel Catback Exhaust, AFe GT Momentum Air Intake, Method Wheels, Bilstein 5100, Rigid 30" SR2 Light Bar, Rigid 10" SR Light Bar. Lots of Love
    If you plan on more armor, do it now before you move, it gets pricey enough to ship anything up here, however the skid plates and such isn't necessarily needed.

I recommend a good light bar for night drives, definitely helps see more and a CB radio, sometimes it helps to be able to reach out to someone if you need to, when you ain't got cellular connection.

Other than that, you seem pretty prepared, I say a good set of tires and you'll do well.

14. Mar 27, 2016 at 12:57 AM
    httuner

httuner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-OffroadPckg
    AFe Rebel Catback Exhaust, AFe GT Momentum Air Intake, Method Wheels, Bilstein 5100, Rigid 30" SR2 Light Bar, Rigid 10" SR Light Bar. Lots of Love
    Check your spark plugs, acessory belts, change out the diff fluids; front and back and transfer case. Check ball joints, suspension components.

Grease up your u-joints. Check air filters, brake pads, rotors, drums and brake shoes. Just like any road trips, you just need to be well prepared.

That's all I can think of.

15. Mar 27, 2016 at 7:40 PM
    I'mNotWillieNelson

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Baseball on the shifter.
    Thanks again, team. I'll be hitting the road in about 10 days. Can't wait.

16. Apr 28, 2016 at 2:57 PM
    SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    How was the drive?

17. Apr 28, 2016 at 3:33 PM
    I'mNotWillieNelson

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Baseball on the shifter.
    Stinkin' amazing! After getting a 30k mile check up a little early (~140k), I only ended up needing to get a leaky oil valve gasket replaced. I had that done and headed north the next day. Went from NW NV to the Seattle area to get the ferry. On the way, we ended up driving the entire Columbia River Valley which made me think it could be used for a Game of Thrones scene or two. Yeah, we cheated a little, taking the ferry, but it was worth it. Cannot stress that enough. What an incredible ride. From Haines, AK around to Glennallen, we took two days, stopping in the Yukon. Driving along Kluane National Park was spectacular. The weather was great and we got great views of the mountains.

Truck was a champ! It's the perfect vehicle for a drive like that. It had no problems and is still running great. It'll be sporting a set of grizzly AK plates any day now. Thanks for checking in!

tcBob, Jester243 and SnowroxKT like this.
  18. Apr 28, 2016 at 3:38 PM
    SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Awesome! Hope you like it up here, should be getting warmer too...

Products Discussed in

To Top