1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TodayWasTHeDaY's Canadian Supercharged Stick Shift Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by TodayWasTHeDaY, Aug 22, 2020.

?

Should I or should I not?

1. Should

83.3%
  2. Should not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Abstaining from voting due to political/religious/nefarious reasons

16.7%
  1. Dec 10, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY [OP] Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB SC M/T TRD Sport
    So I've been contemplating life a lot as I drive at much slower speeds, with far less acceleration, while following very cautious drivers in the far right lane as I break in the new gears. I've learned what it is to be a road cow, plodding along slowly, meandering without purpose, following my fellow cows....slowly....so very slowly. Life in the right hand lane has been an unknown to me and I feel....bored, despondent, with a feeling of loss that seems like it cannot be overcome.
    :turtleride:

I'm halfway through the break-in and the power band of the gears has totally changed, which was to be expected, especially with the change to 4.56 gears. But it's hard to gauge how much acceleration will happen when I can't accelerate (only lightly). I think the 3rd gen RC62F transmission will be a likely upgrade going forward, which I figured was what would happen if I went down this path of aggressive gearing. Time will tell cause I still haven't gone over 100 kph and have another 400 km to go before the gears can be considered broken in by most guidelines I've read. Even then I may still give it some more miles before I try 4wd launching. I may, or may not be working lots until Xmas and so not sure if the break in will be done next week or next month.

The guys at the shop that did the install were stoked to get my truck for the regear though. One of them was saying that because their customer base is mostly overland/offroad Toyotas, to see something that followed a different path was awesome and in his words "I want that!" cause he enjoyed it so much. So that was pretty cool to hear.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    SUMOTNK, Athlaos and BassAckwards like this.
  2. Dec 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    Do you have pics with the door panels installed? I'm wondering how your fitment is with those big tweeters and if you had to do any modifications to the door panel to get them to fit. I have the same tweeters and during my initial mock up it looked real close.

3. Dec 19, 2022 at 8:01 PM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    I don't have any pics but the first time I installed them I noticed the tweeter covers that are part of the door were slightly separating from the panel and had a gap of about an 1/8"-1/4" on the bottom.

I ended up taking the doors off and using a Dremel to grind away the ribs (I believe there was two behind each tweeter cover) and shaving them down almost to the inside of the cover, at least in the middle of the ribs. Put everything back together and it looks stock and seems structurally strong enough where I haven't been worried about them cracking or anything.

4. Dec 20, 2022 at 11:21 AM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    Thanks! Glad to hear it was purely just the backside that needed trimming and you were able to get the stock grill back in place. I was assuming I'd have to figure out a way to try and push the tweeter back just a bit but that didn't seem like an easy task due to the depth of these tweeters.

5. Dec 20, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Get those 4.56s broken in yet? How's she drive?

TodayWasTHeDaY[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 20, 2022 at 3:04 PM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    It's pretty much broken in and i've been starting to drive semi normal but haven't really given it the beans yet and definitely no launches. Working this week so driving the work truck and long days. Also, it's f'n freezing this week with temps of -35 deg Celcius and I'll have to change the diff oil soon too.

It's definitely getting wound out at highway speeds, which I expected and that grim jeeper gear/tire/speed/rpm calculator was pretty spot on.

Not loving being wound out at highway speeds as much as I thought I would so will probably do the third gen transmission. I put in the ratios in the grim jeeper calculator for that trans prior to committing to the regear and the numbers looked pretty good.

BassAckwards[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 20, 2022 at 3:38 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I don’t blame you, I’d be taking it easy as well. What size tires are you running?

I can relate to that 100%. I lived with mine being wound out for a long time and just got used to it. Now that it’s back to stock i am really enjoying it. Just having the ability to cruise on the hwy without it screaming for hrs on end sure makes things more comfortable.

that’s a good backup plan, the ratios on the RC62F sure are nice compared to ours. what kinda rpms will you turn with the 3rd gen trans on the hwy with that?

and damn that’s chilly! That same front must be headed my way now. Thursday night it’s gonna be 10*F with windchill -10*F

8. Dec 22, 2022 at 8:40 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Running 265/70r 17 (approx 31.6-32"). She's definitely screaming along at highway speeds but I was really enjoying the gearing driving around town at slower speeds on slippery ass roads yesterday. Helped make the truck very predictable using engine breaking a lot more than usual.

At 130kph (80.7mph) the calculator gave me 2758 rpm with the RC62F vs the 3288 rpm with the RA60F.

Stock 3.71 gears was 2675 rpm at that same speed so the RC62F will be close and have a more useable gear spread.

Cold snap is almost over. Froze my ass off at work on Monday and had to warm up the toes about four times throughout the day. Windchill is often the worst part of cold weather. Often if you're out of the wind you feel fine at the same temp

Hope you stay warm over the holidays Robert! :cheers:

9. Dec 22, 2022 at 9:18 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    That's not too bad, but definitely more than i'd be wanting to turn on the hwy as well. My 4 banger with 5.29s and 34s would turn 3500rpm at 75mph so going 80 was pretty much out of the question for long trips.

The RC62F sounds like great upgrade the more and more i read into it, especially for those who have regeared.

That's good news indeed, it's just getting started here today, but i am definitely not looking forward to the wind. Like you said, if the wind wasnt around, the cold would be way more bearable.

You do the same amigo, Happy Holidays to you and your family! Hope yall get to spend lots of quality time together over the next few days!:hattip:

10. Dec 22, 2022 at 9:42 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    That 4 banger is turning out so awesome! 3500 rpm is screaming though hahaha:rofl:. Glad you got that sorted out.

I have until the new year off which is nice since last year I was in camp away from home for Xmas. The inlaw's have already moved in for the holidays!

Hope you have a great holiday season as well and looking forward to more of your crazy builds in the new year!

11. Dec 22, 2022 at 9:52 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Thanks man! yeah its so nice to not have it constantly screaming.

Noice! that'll be a great break from work and give you some time to do some projects too if you choose. Today's my last day until 1/3/23 so i'm in a similar boat. That'll be awesome to be home for the the Holidays. I will be traveling to houston to visit the family but other than that, i'll be home for the most part as well.

Thanks amigo! I am looking forward to what you have in store for yours in 2023 as well. You think you'll be running the RA60F for a while, or you planning on a trans swap sooner than later?

12. Dec 22, 2022 at 10:34 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    I've been keeping my eye on a couple transmissions and have the money but still waiting to pad up the ol bank account after paying for the regear and with Xmas season happening.

Not sure if I'll do much modding over the holidays as my garage is unheated. The weather is supposed to get mild soon so I'll do the gear oil change mod. Have a new radiator, hps hoses and auxiliary efans sitting around but want to get the new billet thermostat housing sorted out before travelling that road.

Also, trying to rig up some switches on my cup holder so that might be a good indoors project.

13. Jan 9, 2023 at 9:38 AM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Manual TRD SC 1.87" pulley
    A flux retro-capacitance encabulator
    @BassAckwards and you are making me think my leaning toward a regear to 4.10 is the way to go. Seems like not much of a regear, but it will get the feeling back of having stock size tires. It's my daily and snowboard tripper so don't really want to be on the highway at 4000rpm.

Russ, are you inspired by my console cupholder delete mod to house all my switches?

Also how's your Hurst shifter going? I am having a bad issue with play in the shifter mechanism itself. I welded all the spots where there were those little allen bolts so it's not them. Not too happy about the play, that's for sure, but it has been like 7 years. Where did you get yours, I'm wondering if I can order a mechanism bushing replacement kit or something.

14. Jan 9, 2023 at 10:17 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    4.10s are probably the way to go if you plan on keeping that tire size and the RA60F. If you plan on an RC62F in the future at some point. 4.30s might be a good choice as well since that trans has a double OD

15. Jan 9, 2023 at 10:44 AM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    Would love to do RC62F. If only I had a bigger bonus this year haha

16. Jan 9, 2023 at 12:41 PM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Yup, inspired by the cup holder switch mod of yours so much that I blasted a big hole in mine for a four gang switch mount. Only problem is now I have to try to make it look nice and haven't had the time to tackle it.

Did you have the core/Hurst shifter? Can't remember but if you do the guy sells the plastic bushing that fits on the ball at the bottom end of the shifter arm. He probably sells them for TRD and stock shifters as well (or they might all be the same part). I replaced mine last time I dropped the trans since its a cheap wear part and I think it helped but my shifter never got all that sloppy to begin with. That's the only thing I've ever changed on my shifter.

Not sure what kind of pivot bushings or other wear parts might be needed or available.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    Athlaos[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jan 9, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I think you need one of these white shifter lever bushings. I had a buddy local that had a similar issue, sloppy shifter and that’s what the cause was. Like Russ said, they tend to wear out after a while on the 6spd. Which seems weird bc I have the core shifter on my 5spd and it’s been solid for a couple years now of banging gears. The parts are different between the 5 and 6 speed though, so perhaps that’s why

https://core-shifters.com/products/...uiser-v6-ra60-6-speed-only?variant=8019882819

Athlaos[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 9, 2023 at 1:17 PM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    When I look closely at it the mechanism inside the shifter, from what I can see of it anyways when I have it open, looks all sloppy - like the bushings inside the pivot point are worn or something. Still could replace that white bushing though, that might help like you say. Honestly though I'm leaning toward just buying a new Core shifter, the newer ones might be built better if yours seems good for a couple of years now. Issue might be getting the URD extender off the current shifter because it's jammed on there really good (was a super tight fit on the Hurst shifter and I love having both short shifters working together on there)

19. Jan 9, 2023 at 1:23 PM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    What's the extender? Did you stack the urd short throw kit with the core shifter you crazy bastard?

BassAckwards and Athlaos[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Jan 9, 2023 at 1:26 PM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    I certainly did!

Products Discussed in