1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toddler lied to me for the first time...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Veccster, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    But she KNOWS - for 3 years now - that she only gets one. So when I ask "how many do you get", she is definitely lying by saying two. She knows damn well that she only gets one. She has always only gotten one.

And it's not "tempting" by asking her. I want her to have the option and to do the right thing. She knew the right thing was to only take one and she took two. I guess I'm just a bit disappointed by that.

But as others are saying...I have a lot more moments like that in store for me. I know that and I don't want anyone to think I am making a big deal out of this. Again, just thought it was worth discussing on a slow monday.

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    One thing I did with my niece when handing out punishment for a lie, I made sure she knew it was for a lie and not the act itself. It happened once or twice after that but didn't really happen after the message sunk in; lies definitely get punished.

That said, I don't really see this as a lie. To me a lie is covering up for something to avoid punishment for wrong doing. If she had taken two and told you she only took one, that would be a lie.

Saying "How many do you get?" could be interpreted by a child as "How many do you want."

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    x2! :eek::goingcrazy::help::crapstorm::infantry::annoyed::frusty::violent:

i have a 13 year old sister.... it is horrible.

4. Jan 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Well said and good points. Thank you.

I was very nice about it and I explained that we were not going to read books because she lied. She took it very well. So sweet, she just melts my heart.

Even if it is not technically a lie, I'm still going to refer to it as a lie to her because that is the word she will hear (in her shows, in books, in school, etc). I just want her to know that lying is wrong.

I am so protective of this girl...I can't imagine how I'll feel when she hits the teen years and is getting into trouble. And hanging around boys...:eek:...I will be very uncomfortable with that!

5. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    thats what this is for
    [​IMG]

I have had a few dads open the door with one of these... I didn't do anything stupid! :eek:

6. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    The next time it is time for her vitamins, ask her how many she gets before you present them. If she says one, then show both and ask her to pick one. If she says two, gently correct her, and then give her the choice. Do this for a couple of days. If she continues to say 2, then you know there is more correcting to be done. I know you realize she is still a baby, but she does need to be corrected. She doesn't need corporal punishment at this time, if you decide to use spankings, but even if she needs correcting, I would still read to her as this is a special time not just for her, but for you as well. She'll also realize you are not truly angry and will also learn what forgiveness is about. And for when she gets older.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSDAf2q6SbQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

If the link doesn't work, click on it. It's a link to "Come on in Boy" by Rodney Atkins.

7. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I did feel bad about not reading to her. That hit me when she asked for the book so she could read it herself. I still sat down and we talked for a minute about the storyline. That satisfied her and she went to be happy.

I'm not into spanking but do forcibly put her in time-outs. That is only justified when she does something defiant or really bad - like hit someone or throw something down the steps when I specifically ask her not to.

I constantly ask her questions that require her to think. Like at a four way stop sign, I ask which way to go (if going to pappy's or somewhere familiar). It's constant that we are challenging her. In this case, I wasn't really challenging her but wanted to involve her in the decision. She chose incorrectly and I definitely corrected her.

I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do but my parents were big on the guilt-trips. If I chose wrong, my dad would tell me how disappointed he was in my decision. That is essentially what I did with Abby but I'm positive she has no idea what disappointment is.

Oh well. She is definitely over it.

And I will definitely be the "still cleaning my gun" type of father when she is dating.

8. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    Humans are sinful by nature.......

9. Jan 24, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    idk if this helps but when i was real little i lied about something to my parents, idk what, but whenever a friend called or came by to hang out they said no and made me tell them that i lied and am grounded. Still remember that. It was pretty good now that I am older

Products Discussed in

To Top