1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau cover - folding + locking.

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by ComaWhite, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    ComaWhite

ComaWhite [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey all, new user here - WOW there is A LOT of information on this site!

With that being said....there may already be a thread that provides the information i seek, but a quick browse did not yield anything.

I am in need of a hard, folding, tonneau cover that also has a lock. I want to be able to use my full bed easily (mountain bikes, kayaks, etc), but also want to be able to do things like store luggage when traveling with the security of a lock.

Any brands / models stand out from you other Tacoma owners for our trucks?

Thanks in advance!

jreece likes this.
  2. Mar 27, 2012 at 1:13 AM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    I got the bakflip g2. I love it. You can lock your bed and have full access to the bed because the cover will flip all the way up against the cab.

3. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:12 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
  4. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    Get a Pop N Lock for the tailgate so it locks. I got the one that taps into my power door locks and my key fob.

Then I got a Bakflip F1. STRONG - can put 400 lbs on it. Flips up and easily removes if needed. Locks. To open, open tailgate.

5. Mar 27, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Welcome to TW ComaWhite.

I have the BakFlip G2 as well. Like forana said, it'll flip right up against the back window to give you access to the whole bed. As for the lock, you'd have to get something like the pop n lock replacement for your tailgate handle. I didn't bother personally.

6. Mar 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    As several have mentioned, along with adding a tailgate lock, the Bakflip give you the best option. Extang offers the SolidFold, but there are security concerns. Those have been addressed with their new Encore cover, but that is not available to the Tacoma owners yet. Final option is the Fold-a-cover, but it is not quick removal friendly. It is however the best in terms of security.

7. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    ComaWhite

ComaWhite [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey, thanks for the quick and detailed replies folks! Ill check out the Pop & Lock and the G2!

8. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    ComaWhite

ComaWhite [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Does the pop and lock interfere with the backup camera functionality? It looks like a replacement of the stock handle, which is where the camera is mounted.

9. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    They have one that the camera fits into.

10. Mar 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    mdkingen

mdkingen Hang on, I saw this done in a cartoon once!

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    I just put a G2 and a pop & lock on my Tacoma last week. While installing the pop & lock I closed the tail gate to check the alignment of the gasket on the outside. I closed the tailgate and then quickly realized I still hadn't hooked up the rods to the latch and effectively locked myself out of my bed. It literally took me 2 seconds on the first try to slide a coat hanger under the back of the G2 and hook the wire to open it up. I was kind of sorry I spent the dollars on the pop & lock but at least my tailgate won't be stolen. A bak flip G2 isn't going to keep anyone out that wants in. Mitch

11. Mar 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    I'm considering a Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite to secure the back. Not as flat, but it folds and secures at cab and rear of bed.

12. Mar 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    Thats good to know. I knew it was possible to break in, but didn't know it was that easy even with a locked tailgate. A secured bed isn't as important to me as simply a covered one. I will probably save my money and hold off on the Pop & lock. I have the F-1 and if it's any more difficult to access without opening the tailgate I will spread the word...but I dought it.

13. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    seanhizzo

seanhizzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    WASHINGTON
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Call morry at backflip. I got the new style fibermax delivered to my door for 760 or less. Should be here Thursday. Search my posts for number. Great guy and customer service!

14. Mar 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Morry doesn't actually work for Bakflip directly, he is at a retail sales outlet just as I am.

15. Mar 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,

If you get the model meant for the camera it doesn't mess with the handle at all. All you are doing is adding a solenoid that blocks the opening of the tailgate handle.

16. Mar 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
  17. Mar 29, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    ranger71

ranger71 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    I'm probably screwing this up since it is my first post, but I'll ask anyway. I just installed the Extang Hard Cover and I like it. I wonder though, can this thing withstand the pressure of going through a car wash? The blow dryers at the car wash are pretty vicious and I'd hate to have it fly off in the car wash tunnel.

18. Mar 29, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    jeratbp

jeratbp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Sport V8
  19. Mar 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    davelac

davelac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    I've taken mine through several times and no problem yet. Just be sure that the top is on securely. The only issue is that the Extang isn't completely waterproof so you will get some very small puddles around the tailgate area. I usually wash on the way home so I can fold it open and let it dry out.

20. Mar 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    ranger71

ranger71 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    Thanks for the response. I think I have the cover on pretty well. I followed the instructions that this site provided, since the box my cover came had no instructions. I'll give the car wash a try. Mike

Products Discussed in

To Top