1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cover Improves MPG

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by paid4c4, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Oct 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I was surprised also! Especially since I added the shell and a heavy plywood shelf built in as well as my tools AND it's a mid-rise shell to boot. I couldn't believe my MPG's went up when I put it on. I even do a fair amount of stop and go driving commuting in and out of Boston daily.

2. Oct 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Nice. My MPGs suck. A lot of hills around here. I average around 15. 18 if I do a lot of highway driving.

3. Oct 11, 2013 at 4:30 AM
    tacoJAK

tacoJAK Nothin like a Toyota...

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Middleboro
    Vehicle:
    06 Base 4x4
    None yet...

They also checked in that episode if a Hard truck bed cover (Hard tonneau cover) has any benefits.
    http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117618

4. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I find the use of "proved" and "Mythbusters" in the same sentence to be tenuous at best.

They are smart. They are creative. They are talented.
    They are SFX artists, not scientists, and they frequently miss things. They attempt to follow the scientific method with a control sample, but they do not always account for all of the variables.
    This is proven when viewers send in their "What about" letters, and on a followup episode, they end up getting a different result.

If you've noticed, as the seasons have progressed, they are getting far more "Plausible" results than "Confirmed"

5. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I agree with you there. You can find one place that tests something and it is "proved" right, and then another group will perform their test and prove it "wrong". It just depends on the environment. Only way to test for sure would be long term, with identical trucks, identical drivers, and identical driving environments....and that will never happen.

6. Oct 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    tacoJAK

tacoJAK Nothin like a Toyota...

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Middleboro
    Vehicle:
    06 Base 4x4
    None yet...
    I agree with you guys. I know mythbusters does not always do everything right, but who does. They are still better than most amateur drivers on this website. I am not saying I am any better but people who judge horsepower increases by "how it feels" are not any better...and that's usually what people go by on these sites.

You really cannot test things like this in the real world. The weather on a daily basis changes too much. Vehicles wear down as time goes on, and traffic always changes as well. To REALLY test this one would need a lab with tightly controlled conditions and a wind tunnel.

Products Discussed in

To Top