1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau cover recommendations

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by gregt909, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Apr 17, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Can you explain further-- "the need to drop the bed tracks down"? Just curious as to what this entails.

2. Apr 18, 2018 at 5:04 AM
    jimilivz

jimilivz Member

Member:
    Seattle
    The manufacturer, in an effort to eliminate the need to drill any more holes, opted to use the exiting mounting holes for the trucks bed tie down tracks to mount the support rails for the cover. The best way to see this is to check out this BAK video:https://bakindustries.com/rt-4690-toyota-tacoma-2016.html#!year=2018||make=TOYOTA||model=TACOMA
    IMO the re-location of the tie down tracks is just a minor negative. It does appear that the modification lowers the strength, in tension, of the rail system, but to me, that's not a big deal. Should one decide to remove the cover, it is easy to restore the rails to original configuration, providing the original hardware is saved.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  3. Apr 29, 2018 at 6:54 AM
    MillCreek

MillCreek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB AT
    I had bought the MaxMate tonneau folding soft cover from Amazon and I was shipped the Tyger folding soft cover. I am not sure if this was because they are one and the same except for the label or the warehouse made a substitution. They sure look the same. I just installed the Tyger cover the other day during a brief period of sun in Seattle. I am favorably impressed. It seals pretty well, looks good and I think I am seeing an increase in freeway MPG as a result. It was but the work of a minute yesterday to unlatch the rear and fold up the cover when we went to the nursery and bought some trees for the yard. An excellent value for the money.

4. Apr 29, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    If anyone is looking for the best tonneau but wants to stay somewhat inexpensive, the Access Original Roll-up is hard to beat.

The quality and ease of use is spot-on. And it looks great. I don't think you can find a better cover for the money. I spent weeks researching and went to view/test every cover from every reputable manufacturer.

The access was the winner, hands down. I looked at quality of the materials, integrity of the install, latch/rail system... you won't be disappointed. Top notch customer service and a lifetime warranty.

5. May 5, 2018 at 4:15 AM
    ItsAlwaysTacoTuesday

ItsAlwaysTacoTuesday New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ben
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 "Long" bed
    No upgrades yet, just upgraded from my 2005 SR5.
    How do you like the Gator? I have been back and forth over it. The chief complaint I've read about is an 11"x11" cylinder?

6. May 5, 2018 at 5:07 PM
    E Wreck

E Wreck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Anyone know of a cover with 100% water seal? Just bought one and it sucks at keeping water out. I can’t risk having my gear get wet.

7. May 14, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    Maximilian

Maximilian Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica TRD Sport 4x4
    I can't find the thread where I saw the post.
    But anyone have a recommendation on these covers working with a bedrack?
    And some Pics ?

8. May 27, 2018 at 11:35 PM
    olecoot

olecoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Northeast Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4X4
    3 + 1 Pro Comp 285 Falkin Wildpeaks Bed Cap
    I sent Zach a message. I want the Diamondback. Just not sure if I want the SE or the HD , I carry about 4-6 coolers during hunting season and if loaded with meat and ice probably close to 100 lbs. each. Got those heavy azz coolers.

hunting coolers.jpg
    Hunt trip 2014.jpg

9. May 29, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    CaptNoPants

CaptNoPants Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 2015 PreRunner
    Stock
    The Gator roll up Tonneau has worked very well for me, security wise it’s 50/50 but out of sight out of mind. Easy install, price is well priced, installation is a breeze, it’s performed damn good in Florida sun and rain, lol.

ItsAlwaysTacoTuesday likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top