1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cover Reviews

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by M3D1K, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Sep 8, 2016 at 3:27 PM
    RickS

RickS New Old Stock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    DFW'ish, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '22 Tundra Limited
    Bobbles and trinkets
    I checked out the Leer. Definitely like the beveled edges, gives it a much lower profile look. Only thing for me was - according to the dealer Lear only sells thru their distributors so you won't find a wholesaler or online dealer offering discounted pricing. And I'm kinda cheap.

2. Sep 8, 2016 at 4:33 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    My local truck supply quoted me $900 for the Trilogy. I guess I do look like a sucker though. They jack up the price I guess because this is a 3rd gen Tacoma. He never got my money..

3. Sep 9, 2016 at 9:55 PM
    Element4563

Element4563 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR
    If by D-rings you mean the rail cleats, then yes you have to remove them during the installation because the clamps have to slide in from the end of the rail. Installation took me about 30 minutes.

4. Dec 10, 2016 at 6:39 PM
    jsprout73

jsprout73 '16 MGM SR5 4x2 DCSB 3.5 Auto

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 MGM SR5 4x2 DCSB 3.5 Auto
    Sliding Window Security Bar & Waterproof LED bed lights(mattgecko), Center Console Organizer(salex), Sunshade(Level7Taco), OEM Exhaust Tip, OEM Bed Mat, OEM Trailer Hitch & Ball, Diamondback SE Truck Cover
    Sorry for such a late reply. Haven't been on here in a loong time. No regrets as far as quality. I've driven through torrential rain storms, went through car washes many times, and barely more than a couple of drops of water inside the bed. I adjusted the clamps one time about two weeks after install. Honestly I did that only due to instructions stating to do so after so many miles driven. I don't even think the clamps needed tightened. I have not had any issues with the clamps coming loose, or the locking rods either.
    The only very minor regrets I have are my choices of accessories. I added an 8" deep toolbox(aka cross bin). I wish I had bought the 13" deep version. Never can have too much storage. I also added the low profile cab guard. The cab guard was purchased for a combination of load safety and looks. Since I knew I could load up to 400 lbs on top of the cover, I wanted to protect the rear of the cab. I don't doubt the cab guard will do its' job. But the cab guard will limit what you can load on top.
    FYI you must also keep in mind there are two locks on top of each panel. Those locks can interfere with a load on top of the panels. For example multiple sheets of plywood will not sit flat due to the locks. I guess it depends on what you load on top of the panels if the locks will interfere or not. FYI I haven't loaded anything on top yet. So I can't say how well that goes yet.
    What I love most is security of any items in the truck bed. If installed properly, a thief would have to work really hard to break into the bed. I hope if I become a target of a thief, they'll just move on to another vehicle that's easier to break in. You will also find out it's hard to forget to lock the panels. As instructions state, DO NOT drive with the panels unlocked. If you do drive with the panels unlocked, you run the risk of the panels opening. Locking the panels prevents the locking rods from becoming loose due to vibration, bumps, potholes, etc.

5. Jan 2, 2017 at 12:22 PM
    Vol17TacoTRD

Vol17TacoTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I just bought a Torzatop. I will post more when it gets in this week.

6. Jan 7, 2017 at 7:05 PM
    A.Begin

A.Begin Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR-5 DCLB 4x4
    Anybody here put a fishing rod holder on top of a tonneau cover? I have a bakflip cover. Looking for ideas...

7. Jan 9, 2017 at 5:05 AM
    pc3coyote

pc3coyote www.pc3coyote.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    Finished installation of my Access Vanish tonneau cover including painting the brackets matte black to better blend into the bed. Cost was $273 shipped. Realtruck pricematched Amazon.

DosTacos and Lt_Dan like this.
  8. Jan 9, 2017 at 7:09 AM
    Sandspinner

Sandspinner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma SR5
    I ordered an Extang Revolution from a dealer on 12/2/16. The box came with 3 holes in it and loose bolts, washers and some plastics bits. Upon opening the box I found an end cap piece had broken on the cab rail explaining the loose plastic pieces. I wasn't happy the way the top came and contacted the dealer who said Extang will only replace a cover that comes with more than 30% damaged and that Extang will supply replacement pieces for the customer to make the repair. I debated disputing the purchase but decided to make the end cap repair with the new piece Extang sent. During the install I of course found that I was missing 2 bolts and a washer which Extang subsequently sent. While trying to attach the cab trail to the side rails I found that a latch spring was missing and the latch itself was bent. I contacted Extang who said they would send a new front latch assemble out the next day on 12/28/16. I did not receive the latch assembly last week so I called Extang Friday 1/6/17 and they advised me it had shipped and was left at my door. They are sending me a second one today. I am just not having any luck with this new top and am not impressed with Extang. I will also say that this was my first and will be my last Extang purchase.

9. Jan 9, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    http://www.leer.com/trilogy

The Trilogy X2T has rail's, (It is the newest hard folding Leer cover) I think it looks better with the rounded edges.

http://www.leer.com/Trilogy-X2T

10. Jan 9, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    @TacoWave has one on his truck in the below link. Might send him a message.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ur-tonneau-cover.451438/page-12#post-13533674

and more pictures...

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/noob-1st-taco.457384/#post-13522099

11. Jan 10, 2017 at 9:42 AM
    pc3coyote

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    Just rained and only a single drop of water under one of the rails. Didn't look like anything got in near the cab or tailgate. Super happy with this cover! Doesn't leak (so far), sits almost flush (1/2" above rails), and pretty seamless to operate. Was a little bit of a pain to install with subpar instructions.

12. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:22 AM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    #HANDSCLAPPING

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  13. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:51 AM
    Lt_Dan

Lt_Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Cincinnati OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB A/T Super White
    Can you send me the link for this one please? I was about to buy the tuxedo one but this one looks a little better.
    If you have an Amazon link that would be even better 'cause I have a gift card.

14. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:51 AM
    dsixnero

dsixnero Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road White
    None yet
    I have the Extang Encore 900 bucks for 2016-17 very well thought out this truck,looks oem or better.I don't like shiney frp,this has a dull black finish solid composite. The cab panel has a keyed lock. I think all hard tri-folds will leak a little, a cheap roll-up is dryest. A good video shows step by step instructions. Most of my leaks can be stopped, I' wait for spring, after 4 months of rain and snow, still looks new.

15. Jan 21, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    pc3coyote

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4

Here is the link for the Access Vanish on Amazon for a 2016-2017 DCSB. Part # is 95269. Price is $276.90. I had Realtruck price-match so that I have the reassurance that the factory warranty from Access is honored. Realtruck is one of the top-sellers of Access covers and is an authorized dealer. Tonneaucoversworld is an authorized dealer as well and will also price-match Amazon. You just have to call either one to place the order.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018SU751U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CO7GybAFVDARV

The cover is amazing. Super low-profile, less than 1/2 inch, and super functional. It works really well. I've had the truck washed and also outside during heavy rain and less than a drop or two of water in the bed. I've heard horror stories of covers more than three or four times the price leaking a lot.

Lt_Dan[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 21, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Lt_Dan

Lt_Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Cincinnati OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB A/T Super White
    I was going to get the tuxedo cover which is a little cheaper ($245), but I'm glad I saw your post, yours looks way thinner, I don't mind paying the extra $30 for the the better look. Thanks for the info!

17. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    pc3coyote

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    Happy to help! Let me know if you have any questions.

Lt_Dan[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM
    pc3coyote

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    I just moved tires in the back and it rolls up in a few seconds and then you have access to the full bed and the rear window isn't blocked at all. I haven't noticed any noise on the highway. You do see it waving some in the rear view mirror but it stays in place and is super secure with the velcro. It settles down as soon as you slow down. When it's snapped in place at the tailgate it's completely flat, you don't see the imprint of the crossbars. There are 2 crossbars that roll up with the cover that add support for rain, snow, etc. The cover is attached at the cab end with the two tension adjusters underneath which are mounted to the rails. On the tailgate end, there is a trigger latch on the rails to open it but you can't get too it with the tailgate closed. If you lock the tailgate, they cannot open it or remove it (unless they cut it with a knife which they could easily do). The rails are not that easy to remove since there are two mounts per side to the factory bed rails.

19. Jan 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    ^^^Same with my TruXedo Lo Pro QT^^^

20. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    pc3coyote

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    Both Realtruck and Tonneaucoversworld would do it without a problem but they'd only do it over the phone. It only took a few minutes. It was a toss-up of which to go with. Both are Access dealers, both assist with the warranty process, and both have good reviews

To Top