1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau cover, which one is best.

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Tigahshark, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    bebopblues

bebopblues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    Kinda did the same research for a tonneau for my double cab shortbed. This is what I find:

Soft covers: Least expensive cover, lightweight, easily remove for full bed access, doesn't take up bed rails, somewhat water proof, and easy to install. But not as durable and doesn't protect the bed content as it can be easily remove or cut.

Hard folding covers: Durable, easily remove for full bed access, somewhat water proof, and can be secured to protect stuffs inside the truck bed. But it's expensive, heavy, takes up the bed rails, and harder to install.

Hard top cover: Looks great with matching paint color, doesn't take up bed rails, water proof, and can be secured to protect stuffs inside the truck bed. But it's expensive, heavy, harder to install, only opens 45 degrees, no full access to full bed unless completely removed, which requires more than one person.

I wanted a cover that allows full access to the bed, or easily removed to have full access, and somewhat water proof. And it must be secured to store contents in the truck bed. So after much searching, I decided on the Bak Flip G2 hard folding tonneau. And in my opinion, it looks the best compare to soft or hard top covers.

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark [OP] Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Well after all this MASSIVE info, i think im going to by the Bakflip g2 or the Bakflip roll g2, was on pretty much all last night just going through stuff and that seems to be the answer! Its more for my wife so i wanted things easier for herr to use(you know women)

3. Aug 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    WittyTacoma

WittyTacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    hey man, i really benefited from this post. i'm looking to get the same cover you did actually for my 2011. i'm wondering where you got yours and for how much? i'm trying to find the best place to get it.

thanks again!

4. Aug 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Hey i didnt buy it yet, still about 2 months out from now but its still either the Baklip g2 or the Bakflip rollback, but i just read on the other post about tonneaus that the Bakflip rollbac is not that good, the ONLY thing i do not like about the Bakflip G2 is that to close the tailgate you have to first lift the tonneau, for me thats not a problem just you know women any extra step is to many steps! but it does seem like the Bakflip makes IMO some of the best ones.

5. Aug 29, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    lmcc007

lmcc007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Northern CA.
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 PreRunner Doublecab Longbed
    Tube steps & tonneau cover.
    I recently purchased a SnugTop bed cover off of Craigslist for $300 installed. I was also doing lots of research into bed covers for a while. I was thinking about the soft covers too, but eventually the material will fade AND they can be cut into. Plus a good one will run several hundred dollars. The SnugTop is very secure and it comes with 2 locks. Plus the color (white) matches my truck perfectly. I think that I just got lucky. Depending on where you live you might also be able to find one on Craigslist. The cover that I bought is only 2 years old, it's in excellent condition, & they are asking over $1,000 for new. You will need 2 people to remove it, but removal should take you less than 5 minutes.

6. Aug 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Murman

Murman Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner SR5 Access Cab 4cyl auto
    Undercover hard tonneau WeatherTech Floor Liners
    I know I may be a little late on my reply here, but I've got to chime in and give another vote for the Undercover classic hard tonneau. I bought mine to keep my rc airplanes dry in case it ever rained while going to or from the flying field.
    At the start of this summer I had to drive my daughter from here in NC to NYC for an internship. We drove through 3 or 4 downpours at 55-75mph and when we arrived, everything inside the bed was bone dry.
    Two weeks ago, I drove back up there to pick her up and it poured down rain almost the entire way back to NC. Once again, not a drop of water inside. I can't say enough how glad I am to have purchased this tonneau. Have I encountered times when it didn't open far enough to carry something big? Yes, but it was only a little inconvenient to drop the tonneau off at the house and go back to pick the item up. If I know I will be hauling big stuff then I will just leave it at the house anyway. The benefits of this locking tonneau far outweigh this occasional inconvenience.

IMG_3688.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg

7. Aug 29, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    I guess thats a good wat to look at it, and those hard tonneaus do offer the best in water proofing and security, still liking the Bakflips

8. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    bebopblues

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    I got the Bakflip G2 a few weeks ago, I paid $652 (tax included) for a double cab short bed version. This is after 15% off from a coupon code I saw posted here in the Buy/Sell section. I think the code was LOYALTY or something, not sure if it's still valid.

The G2 is not perfect, but there isn't a better option out there for what I want.

9. Sep 4, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    Bob1911

Bob1911 Member

Member:
    MI
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner
    Has anyone seen an accessory rail system for the Bakflip? I could swear I saw one on the web somewhere. My guess is it would be a rail that fits over the Bakflip mounting hardware so you can still use the cleats when you have the cover flipped up.

10. Sep 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    bebopblues

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    They make some accessories for their Bak Track MultiFunctional Rail system, but not for the Bak Flip G2. The way the G2 is designed, I don't think its possible.

11. Sep 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Always seems to be the case when you get something good, you have to sacrifice something in return, cause i wanted some sort of cargo management thing to go under the tonneau and the bakflip seems to use the whole rail

12. Sep 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    shicks16

shicks16 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Edmonton, Canada
    I have the bakflip HD and I love it. Only issue I have is that I lost the use of my track but I just installed 2 more d rings up in the front of the bed which in my opinion is much more reliable then the track system and should have been done from factory. I don't understand why they put 2 in the back but not up front

13. Sep 5, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Just noticed this is your first post so WELCOME!:D

14. Sep 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    halfway72

halfway72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT LB
    Cosmetic stuff.... best part HomerTaco Raptor Grille. Need to get a lift, armor and lockers.
    I bought the original access roll up. Easy to install and more importantly you don't lose the side rails with the adjustable strap braces. I bought it off of autoanything.com came in a little less than a week and took me maybe an hour, hour and a half...

15. Sep 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    bluecluee

bluecluee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD OR Timberland Mica
    5100's Set at 1.75
  16. Sep 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Wow i clicked on the link and seen the site for those tonneaus and man...... that looks real commercial grade stuff, looks tuff as steel.

17. Sep 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    My next question is which tonneau cover still lets you use the rail system, cause i know some tonneaus take up the whole rail

18. Sep 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    With s hard tonneau does the tailgate lock to it? Or is it still easy to open?

19. Sep 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    cpaul

cpaul Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CT, US
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Double Cab Sport SB
    I have an Access Limited on my '07 and can use the rail system without any issues. Keeps the stuff in the bed pretty dry, but it's a soft cover, so if someone really wants to get in, they can - but since the tailgate isn't locked, they could just open that and take what they want!

20. Sep 19, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I bought an Access Roll-Up tonneau and I love it. I didn't buy a tonneau so I could safely lock things in the bed, because honestly, NO tonneau cover is going to keep a criminal out. Soft covers can be cut, hard covers can be smashed. Not to mention our tailgates don't lock.

My tonneau keeps 97% of the water out and that's all I really care about. I take a lot of long trips and it's nice to be able to throw whatever I want under the tonneau and not worry about things getting wet or blowing away. Additionally, it keeps all the snow out of my bed in winter, so I always have a clean bed for hauling furniture and whatnot.

My 2 cents.

Products Discussed in

To Top