1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cover?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by stro1965, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Mar 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    You just need to trim the extender a little and it will work fine.

2. Apr 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
  3. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    Ocean's

Ocean's Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just talked to my Undercover Dealer, and he says the 5' New Design Undercover SE Top, will be here by the end of the month... Been waiting patiently for the last 6 months...lol

apparently, the 6' Undercover SE tops are already out there and in use...

Will post pix when it arrives

4. Jun 14, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    copdude33

copdude33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roxboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
    Tint, bed cover, led high beams, HID low beams, blacked emblems
    If you want a folding one then be prepared to have a leaky cover. I have had both, undercover and a HD bakflip. The bakflip should be called a leakflip. Sure it's nice to be able to fold it up but the leaking is a pain. The undecover is nice and almost water tight. The undercover does not dent and have rubber joints that will end up cracking. The HD Bakflip will dent, gets smoking hot and does not fit as tight and secure as the Undercover. They now make the SE undercover for both the 5 and 6 foot bed.

5. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    sixdoubleseven

sixdoubleseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    14 DC 4x4
    ^ I have barely any leaking with my Advantage, if you can call it leaking. Maybe one corner has a few drops.

6. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    x2

Only time I see water in my TorzaTop is going through an automatic carwash with multiple pressure hoses spraying from all angles... even then, it still keeps the stuff in the bed dry... just some drops of water along the walls.

7. Aug 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    I downloaded the installation instructions on the Access cover and they state the bed rails are removed and all is reinstalled using what looked to be some small tubing as a standoff material (probably aluminum) on each screw. How flimsy or sturdy would you say the tie down rails are with this type of mounting and was I correct in my description of the standoff material? And any chance I could get the length of the standoff? I'm thinking that if the tiedowns are not as sturdy as they use to be, maybe adding a solid spacer down the length of the bedrails vice a few small spacers.

Thanks,
    Joe

8. Aug 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    monrad

monrad Coprolite

Member:
    B'wood, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC short box TRD Sport, TM
    Avid light bar+RBG, Lightforce 140s, fog mod, FSM badges, Bobcatoshi grille + Stampede, JDM DRLs, TRD cat-back, rear spring TSB, AccessLE
    I'm not Veccster, but the standoffs on mine are hard plastic cylinders, about 0.783" long, 0.700" diameter, 0.192" wall thickness. I'd characterize it as a solid mount with the wall thickness and type of plastic.

9. Aug 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    You must have a caliper to measure with. Thanks for the specs and your opinion that it's a solid mount.

-Joe

10. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I just ordered the Access LE from this site with great pricing: http://www.truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html

The primary reason I ordered the LE is because both sides of the rear cover latch together as opposed to the regular Access cover where the drivers side is automatic but the passenger side is a manual latch. I also purchased the Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock (Not discussing the lock in this thread, it was just part of my order).

EDIT:
    Installed the cover, Love It! Pop & Lock is installed too but it looks like cheap plastic but it works very well.

-Joe

11. Sep 20, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    botayota

botayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Blue Crush Metallic
    I want to install a bed cover before winter hits...
    Considering either a roll-up or fold up model...
    Snow load capability ... I'm in New England...
    At times I haul wood & mulch in the bed...
    Also I really want to be able to keep the stock rail system with the slider
    knob tie downs...functioning.

Done alot of reading on this tread, and a couple others, and so far Access LE, and Extang Trifecta...seem to stand out for my needs, but I'm still not decided.
    Looking for some recommendations....???

[​IMG]

12. Sep 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    If you want a tri-fold, advantage torzatop (better locking system than the Trifecta.) However, you have to decide whether you want a roll up, hardtop, or trifold first.

For me, I'd have gone with a roll up type if I didn't get the torza.

Hard covers are too much of a pain to remove/store on the go.

13. Sep 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    i really like my access

14. Sep 21, 2010 at 1:40 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    i just bought one made by Undercover

15. Sep 21, 2010 at 3:28 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I can't speak to the snow handling capability of the Access roll-up cover yet but I read it was good. As for being able to keep the tiedowns, if you want any tiedowns on the front rail, install the tiedowns before putting on the front piece of the access cover. The side rails can still be installed after the cover side rails are installed although you must slide them on from the rear opening (no biggie). As for vertical strength, someone else will have to post if the plastic spacers are good enough (maybe someone that has moved a queen sized matteress down the freeway?). I question the strength in that area and will be installing two square aluminum tubing rails to replace the spacers. This will give it more vertical pull strength without bending and the square tubing isn't really expensive at Lowes. I've just got to get off my lazy butt and get to it.

I do love my Access cover and I think the regular access cover is better than the LE just because both sides secure with spring loaded latches, but it comes at a price.

-Joe

16. Sep 21, 2010 at 4:27 AM
    killerken

killerken Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    09 toyota tacoma dbl cab trd
    Access LE Cover Toyota Factory Nerf Bars Dynolock Tail Gate Lock
    I would go with the Access LE cover. I live in Philadelphia and we had over 70" of snow last year and I had no problem with my access LE cover.
    :cool:

17. Sep 21, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    Steig

Steig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    I had 3 different folding covers on 3 different trucks. 1 Fold A Cover LS (2002 Ford FX4), 1 Advanced cover (2005 Nissan Titan Crew cab) and 1 Fold A Cover G4 (2011 Tacoma DC TRD Off/Road). None of these covers leaked. I just installed a fold a cover G4 on my 2011 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road. Washed the truck and went through 1 rain and no leaks. Cover locks for security and will even lock the tailgate with lock attachment supplied. I didn't install lock attachment, because I have pop & lock. I like to the fact to be able to secure the bed and bed extender, also when I need to use the bed, I unlock cover with key and fold back in seconds.

18. Sep 21, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    The LE made the top of my short-list as far as roll-ups go. Now if only I can make up my mind on roll-up vs. trifold...

19. Sep 21, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Roll ups give you the capability to get the tonneau out of the way in a matter of seconds without having to find a way to transport it home. Granted the tri-fold comes off easily, but if you buy something big, you run the risk of damaging it on the way home.

I love my Access L/E. Had a tri-fold before and it spent more time off the truck than on.

20. Sep 21, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    How is the Velcro? That's a concern of mine. It sounds cheap. Does it hold up clean or get dirty/gritty and stop sticking like the stuff on clothes and boots does?

ETA: I'm concerned about it because, more than likely I would keep it rolled up more often than not, exposing the Velcro.

Products Discussed in

To Top