1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Tent

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by LonghornTaco, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jun 12, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Well, that actually cheeses me off. I have a history of coming up with ideas and plans, having them shot down by family, only to see someone making money with it later, one guy is even a millionaire. I drew up plans for my ARE cap, including the ability to store inin the lid of the tonneau, so you could use the bed without tent via a floor system that folded the tent up. Had rhe engineering figured out and everything. Took my diagrams to my business owner father for advice on wbat to do, and he told me it was a dumb idea. No money at the time, and slightly crushed.

I mean, it looks great, and Im happy for you, but it.still cheeses me off.

AxisCab likes this.
  2. Jun 13, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    There won't be this thread is a year old and no updates given....

Build it, I'm sure you will sell a few no problem :thumbsup:

3. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    You know what? I think I'm going to look into it again. The .pdf is different than what my design was, so I won't have any patent issues. I'm a designer by trade, but my engineering skills are the greatest, but I've got a buddy who might be able to help.

What do you guys think a tonneau tent would be worth? It'd be a full size cover (I'm thinking ARE, because that is the one I had when I designed the original one), where the tent has a hard floor, and when not in use it is contained in the underneath of the cover (don't want to give too much away;)). Any thoughts?

4. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    I would have been all over it when I had my cover. I've changed to many things since and no longer have the cover so I can do it now.

I would say not to design it for any one companies product. Make something universial that will fit ARE, LEER, Undercover, Etc so you hit a more broad audience. Then you would only need to do one for a long bed and a short bed.

5. Jun 14, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    magnetic11

magnetic11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    Fab fours front and rear bumpers, B.A.M.F. weld on rock sliders, softopper, removed mud flaps and D-Badged everything. Icon 2.5 Extended Travel coil-overs, Total Chaos upppers, 2.0 Icon extended travel shocks with the resi's and Dekar Leaf packs.
    If you build it they will come

6. Jun 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    Id have to look at a few different covers. My design had a hard floor which lowered from the cover, and tucked back to keep every thing neat. I don't know how model specific Id need to go. I'm kinda excited, think I'll pull the sketch book out this weekend.

7. Oct 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    I want one of these very badly, what brand fiberglass tonneau is this built off of??

8. Oct 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    mahaloTaco

mahaloTaco TcBob's BFFL

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    13 RC 4x4 S/C'd lockers 4.88's Airflow Snorkel McNeil Glass
    Anyone ever wrapped a tarp around a tonneau and folded it at the tail gate and called it a day?

9. Nov 28, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    B Wess08

B Wess08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Duaramax
    Flash Tune, Transgo Shift Kit, EGR Delete, Rear Locker
    i was just thinking of doing this lol, but would seem to seal in a lot of heat as tarp isn't breathable..?

10. Nov 28, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    mahaloTaco

mahaloTaco TcBob's BFFL

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    13 RC 4x4 S/C'd lockers 4.88's Airflow Snorkel McNeil Glass
    Or what about a Bed Rack With a Tarp Wrapped around it?

5Saints likes this.
  11. Nov 28, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    B Wess08

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Duaramax
    I'm actually going to try making something like the op posted, my aunt is an engineer at Northrup Grumman, and she is going to help me with the thermal component and i have a family friend who is a really good seamstress, so me and my buddy are going to mach so thing up tomorrow and run it by my aunt, when its all dome ill post it here and tell you about my costs and procedures and stuff....

12. Nov 28, 2015 at 8:32 PM
    B Wess08

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Duaramax
    at that point you're better off with just buying a soft topper...

13. Nov 28, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    JennJenn

JennJenn Remembering Rick ❤

Member:
    First Name:
    Jenn aka (dzzyneon)
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Trd sport dclb!!~Sold~2008 Indigo ink TRD Sport DCLB!!
    We did this once...IMAG3266.jpg lol. Made out of pvc, tarp and bungies. This tonneau tent would be perfect for us!

B Wess08 likes this.
  14. Nov 30, 2016 at 2:14 PM
    The Smith

The Smith Well-Known Member

Member:
    Trinity Alps
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 V6 SR5
    Bump. The OP's tent is the nicest truck-bed tent I've ever seen. I'd totally buy one!

JennJenn likes this.
  15. Mar 11, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Bump.. I still want one

16. Mar 11, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    I'm not a fan of tonneau covers but it doesn't seem like a hard build at all if you have any sewing skills. If I were going to make a tent for one I'd simplify it and make it more universal, especially if I were thinking about trying to market it. The cargo basket complicates things but if I were to make one, I'd make it out of tent material and have it slide over the top of the cover and attach to the bedsides with multiple rare earth magnets (sew them into the bottom hem). Put a thin seal along the bottom edge to keep wind from blowing up it, have elastic sewn along the front and back along with a nylon strap that would allow you to cinch it up under the tailgate. The back/door opening could be the same or you could have a awning attached to it that allowed you to use some poles and stakes to give you a sheltered area. Simple.

If you were going to run a rack/basket on the tonneau I'd just delete the top and put Velcro along the top edges instead. You need the material to either come over the bed rails to shed water or some sort of seal on the top of the rails which would more of a PITA and more likely to leak water into the bed. Two other ideas would be to mount aluminum or vinyl awning track into the tonneau and sew Keder awning rope along the top edge of the tent or you could permanently mount it like VW Westys did.

You'll need some sort of seal between the tailgate and the bed to keep the mosquitoes out but there are several styles out there.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  17. Sep 4, 2019 at 7:30 AM
    DanWas

DanWas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'll Guinea pig one of these for anyone making... I have a short bed and want something to camp in badly...

18. Sep 4, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    How has this not happened yet? I'm about to try the PVC/tarp combo, but I'd be very interested in something like the OP.

Products Discussed in

To Top