1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tons, cummins, 40s, 80 series Land Cruiser build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by 92LandCruiser, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Oct 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Downside is getting there, if you trailer, 50 is a steep winding SOB, and then theres not a lot of room near the trail head to park a trailer. We got lucky there too. Even if you drive, the roads are steep and winding and it's slow going. Fordyce is easy to get to by comparison and so is the Con or so I hear. It was fun though, definitely go run it while you can.

2. Oct 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    And not that it matters to you, but there were some FS dicks trying to tape the back of my rig when we took off, they seemed not thrilled that I had barely cleared the posts. They were their waiting to harass us on the return, being dicks about off road stickers -- we were all legal.

3. Oct 21, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Gonna start lurkin this place since Loco's build is anti EAF now

4. Oct 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Wait..they were going to tape your rear? Why?

5. Oct 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Hmmm, interesting build, took me forever to figure out what the fuck was going on in that thread though.

6. Oct 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    he he

IDK they were walking up to it with the tape measure after they watched me pull through the posts, I was bumping the posts a tiny bit trying to get straight but... saw them in the mirror and took off. Theres some pirate threads about this FS bitch, she's apparently a real ball buster.

7. Oct 21, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    fuck yea dude! good to see it out kicking some ass!

92LandCruiser[OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 21, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Thanks man!

9. Oct 22, 2015 at 11:51 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    So I'm really looking into moving to Alaska... looks like the ultimate play ground.

Also, today I worked on cutting the fenders some more. Still rubs at full stuff. I also chipped away a shit ton of bondo, looks haggard as hell now but it was so thick it cracked on the roof and on the driver front door and it was rusting underneath so I wanted to get rid of it and paint over it before it turned into serious rot. I ordered some color match spray paint and I'll fill back in the areas with more bondo, yay. IDK what the fuck happened to this thing but the entire side of it is 1/4 thick with bondo, so that's cool. Eventually I'll monsta line it, I think.

I don't have anything cool to tell you guys so that's about all. Still haven't done shit with the HE351 I have sitting in the garage, or the water meth setup. I'll get around to it sometime I hope.

I'm also going to step up to a 2" DOM tie rod since I bent mine.

10. Oct 23, 2015 at 9:20 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Alaska..is not the ultimate playground haha ere are no devolved trail systems really at all..which upi guess would be considered nice but I mean there is like..nothing. It's all just wilderness that you can't drive on.

It's still a cool place, I was born in anchorage and visited every year as I have family there in Palmer now. It's worth going too for sure. Whole different world up there and lifestyle.

Not really the place for wheeling though..not really anyways. You'd probably end up going down to BC. But not totally sure.

Also super long dark dark winters.

11. Oct 23, 2015 at 9:24 PM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs

Ultimate playground as far as the massive amounts of wilderness and free space to camp, hike, fish, hunt, kayak, canoe, raft, ski, snowboard, etc etc etc DEFINITELY :thumbsup:

But, as far as offloading and wheeling specifically, not so much unfortunately. Theres just too much area that is entirely inaccessible by vehicle, and/or state protected :(

Love this build, been :spy: for a while..

12. Oct 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Thanks man! Really? From what I've seen theres some crazy maybe not rock crawling trails but definite trails. But a lot of what I see is these guys, Cody Hannaman on IG, getting after it with ags. IDK I figured there were a lot of places to wheel north of Palmer. They're always headed up to Zero Lake and such.

I was just up there last weeked visiting a friend in Anchorage and scoping the place out. Didn't get a good feel for the wheeling but I did decide I wouldn't mind living in Wasilla/Palmer area.

I've also seen some of these moose buggy guys drive in for days and say they never see a sole. I have another friend from Reno who is from Anchorage and had a blazer on tons and 40" rockers who I know has done a ton of exploring up there.

I'm not looking to rock crawl, everything I've seen has just been bogged out rutted up mining roads and I figured the whole state had lots of roads to explore?

Sorry if that was repetitive...

Theres no doubt the dark icy winters suck, but I think I could handle it. Biggest thing seems to be just getting all my shit up there without spending a fortune. THEN finding some place to live without spending a fortune. And finding a decent paying job of course.

ANYWAY I appreciate the input for sure. Keep it coming.

13. Oct 23, 2015 at 10:46 PM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    I'd agree wth most of that, yeah.

Much more available exploration wise if you're not purely looking for rock crawling stuff. Just about any trail is gonna have a good portion of water, mud, and general boggy shit haha

That being said, only a tiny tiny tinyyyy fraction of the state has any roads whatsoever so while the state itself is massive, the majority is only accessible by boat or floatplane. Which is great for remote hunting and fishing, but not so much wheeling.

Honesty, in the anchorage area the winters aren't thaaaat bad. The way I look at it is that whether it's 5 hours of daylight or 8, when you get up for work in the morning it'll be dark and by the time you're headed home it'll be getting dark. As long as you don't just hole up inside all winter and actually get out and enjoy everything the state has to offer you won't mind it at all.

Wasilla/Palmer area is great if you want to be close to big-ish cities but still have lots of room to yourself.

14. Oct 24, 2015 at 12:40 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Still gotta have as many miles of remote roads as down here I would think. Yeah that sounds alright, I'd buy a happy light and party on!

15. Oct 24, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    I don't think you'll find as many roads.. Miles perhaps but could be the same two roads that just don't end for a long ass time.

16. Oct 24, 2015 at 9:27 AM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5

Like Monte said, by mileage maybe, but as soon as you get off the like four or five main roads that get you from Prudhoe bay all the way down to Homer things die off very quickly. Leaving anchorage heading south you have one option for roads and heading north you have one option.. There just isn't a whole lot of sprawling roads with little unknown roads really.

But what we doooo have is mile upon mile of wilderness where you can do just about anything you want without having anybody telling you to stop :D

17. Nov 2, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Ordered some rock lights, from all4offroad, and some interior LED lights. The stock dome and map lights are shit, probably doesn't help they're only getting 11 volts. The wiring in this thing is dicked. This day-light savings shit pisses me off. But yeah since it's winter and suddenly dark I decided I'd upgrade some lighting.

Also ordered some 5x12 injectors to replace these PODs, they're just too damn hot.

18. Nov 8, 2015 at 9:10 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Got the new PFRAN LEDS in, they kinda just flop around in the housing but fuck are they a big improvement over stock, open the door and you can see if theirs a killer clown in the back seat now.

New injectors in, lowered my EGTs a little... I need to get that HE351 mounted.

Ordered a grizzly locker, welded rear ends suck, rear tires are all fucked up. Half the tread of the fronts.

Also been plugging in the block heater, that works awesome, so that's a bonus!

19. Nov 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Interested in how you like the rock lights :spy:

20. Nov 10, 2015 at 7:24 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I will update ya once I know haha

YotaOverAll likes this.

Products Discussed in