1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too low of RPM's and strange shifting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Maple85, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mar 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM
    Maple85

Maple85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland Oregon
    Lots to come at some point. Hopefully soon.
    So I just bought my first truck ever. A 2006 Prerunner Access Cab Auto with only 19K on it. When I bought it everything looked good and the mechanic agreed. Well now that I have paid for the thing I have some problems that may or may not be an issue. First one is that when I put it in reverse and it’s still cold I will hear a rubbing type sound on the front right part of the truck. I have also noticed that my RPM's almost seem too low. I really have to get into it just to get to about 2300 RPM's. My cursing speed at about 65 MPH only shows a RPM of about 1200 which seems low. The truck has no power problems though so I’m not sure what the deal is. I have also noticed that I sometimes have to give it gas going downhill when I shouldn't have to. Along those lines it also seems to pick up speed when I slow down past about 22/23 MPH. Any thoughts or opinions on any of these issues would be great! Hope I didn’t buy a lemon:rant:

2. Mar 14, 2009 at 2:08 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Mines an Automatic, so I can't help you with the shifting. The 1200RPM at 65 is a little low, but I don't see it being a problem. The downhill engine retard which you have to give it gas is normal. It's how Toyota built the engine. Throw it into neutral and coast down.

3. Mar 14, 2009 at 4:33 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It all appears normal to me.

You should be glad for the low rpm's at 65mph - it'll save you on gas.

But if you put the shifter into 4th gear instead of D, you'll notice the rpm's be about where you're expecting them to be (2500). That 5th gear is nice for highway cruising.

The truck does and will 'engine brake' downhills in certain situations. That's also a nice feature to have (less braking).

4. Mar 15, 2009 at 3:33 AM
    RockDoc

RockDoc Member

Member:
    Wine Country, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road AccCab
    I read your post yesterday and paid attention to my rpm's while driving home from work... In D (5th gear) going 60 on flat road my rpms were about 1750, so yours are low, but I wouldnt really be too concerned; and like someone said earlier, your mpg's will be good. And yes, I too have to get on the gas to get the rpms over 2500. Engine braking down hill is normal on these trucks, as somebody already said. I notice the engine downshifting almost as soon as I take my foot off the gas regardless if I'm going downhill or on the flats in town, kinda annoying, but I'll get used to it....
    Hope this helps!

5. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    wes

wes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 DC sport silver V6 auto
    URD CAI,URD Y-Pipe,,Wet-okle covers,Silverstar headlgt bulbs,Undercover bed cover,black nerf bars,Alpine 9883 Alpine speakers,Pioneer 10" sub,SIRIUS sat. Redline hood struts, white gauge led and shifter light "mod"
    I think that what you are hearing/feeling in reverse is the anti-lock system "self-checking".Feels like a slight vibration then goes away--it IS NORMAL.
    Hope this helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top