1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too many traction choices

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BirdTRD, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Dec 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.

Very well stated. And the wonderful manual basically tells you if it doesn't go into 4WD Lo to keep trying. Sometimes I need to try more than a half dozen times.

2. Dec 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    dude thanks that was sweet.......

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hope this helps:

1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC active, engine regulated ('Limited Slip Lite').
    2) 2WD: 'AUTO LSD' ('TRAC OFF MODE'). No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.
    3) 2WD: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differential').
    4) 4WD-Hi: VSC and TRAC active. No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.
    5) 4WD-Hi: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differentials').
    6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off in L4 ('open differentials').
    7) 4WD-Lo: 'A-TRAC' on gives a 'locker-like, super strong' limited slip, front and rear.
    8) 4WD-Lo: Rear Differential Locked and open front differential (A-TRAC off).
    9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK + A-TRAC on, 3 MPH limit.

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    This is a great post. Now for us dummies can you include pictures of each button as you go through the instructions.
    I bow to your knowledge. Either that or I go out and push what I assume is the correct button and -uh oh I think I messed somethin up. And no wise cracks. I done admitted my ignorance. K:D

5. Jan 7, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    For the '09 and '10 years, this isn't true: "vsc- automatically off when in 4wd"

From my researched list above:

4) 4WD-Hi (H4): VSC and TRAC are both on. No engine power is cut in TRAC while in H4.

I only seek the facts, and if I am wrong, please let me know. The info. comes from reading many of the posts here, the tech sheets posted and using the truck in the desert. The owners manual does not explain it at all well.

6. Jan 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD [OP] Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    It's automatically off in 4lo. It stays on in 4hi and 2hi but you can over ride it in either setting.

7. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That's correct!

8. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    For deep sand, H4 (TRAC on) worked great... no air pressure drop needed in the tires either.

110009_fee79b933e5f299dda6e6ce01a1575e98bb65036.jpg

110010_f586650b9d7d13fdee6969db2007d446c9c736fa.jpg

110008_bc90f736762eed69f58145175df769f15682fb21.jpg

9. Mar 2, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    kram

kram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad Access Cab 6spd MGM
    URD Short Shifter TSB Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100s front (1.75") and rear. 285/70/17 Duratrac on Rhino Sidewinders. Weathertech Digifit Floormats
    David, thanks for the explanation on your sig. It's all pretty confusing, but after reading a bunch of threads I think I mostly get it. It would be easier if there wasn't any conflicting info, but that's what you get on a public forum.

I still have a couple of unclear points that I hope you can clarify...

When you switch to Auto LSD, does VSC stay off, or will it turn back on at a certain speed? Some say yes and some say no.

There are a lot of things to get out of a stuck situation, but I'm more interested in the best setting for 2 things. Firstly, when gunning it off the line on a slightly wet road, is Auto LSD the best? 4x4 seems excessive, especially if it's not totally wet all over the roads further down. Secondly, when being a jackass (on the rare occasion of course) around corners and gearing down and giving it full throttle to get a little sideways action, is it best to use Auto LSD (especially on dirt roads). i.e. is Auto LSD mode like having a regular LSD with no VSC stuff going when your pinning around corners? I'm not a serial drifter or anything, but I haven't hung the back out since I had a rear wheel drive as a teenager about 20 years ago and I want to know the best option if the urge strikes in the right place at the right time.

I was thinking of doing the Locker mod, but that was before I knew my 09 offroad had LSD (if it works the way I think it does).

10. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:17 AM
    Reidm3

Reidm3 Active Member

Member:
    The offroad package has an electronic locker, it does not have a mechanical LSD. It has various electronic aids that mimic the effect of an LSD, but to say it has a LSD is untrue.

11. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Kram, when (in H2) you press the switch quickly, you turn on AUTO LSD and that means VSC and normal TRAC is turned off. This is the TRAC-OFF Mode.

AUTO LSD is a 'strong' LSD to help you get moving in 2WD if conditions cause one tire to spin. 'Normal' TRAC is LSD 'Lite' and works fine while moving... uses brakes and regulates engine output in 2WD, uses brakes only in 4WD High Range.

Yes, once speed increases the AUTO LSD will shut off and VSC and normal TRAC will turn on. If you don't want to use 4WD, then AUTO LSD would be good to get moving from a stop in poor traction. For 'fun' doing donuts or spinning the rear end, then you want the standard open differentials... Press the switch and hold it for 3+ seconds, while stopped, this is the VSC-OFF Mode.

[​IMG]

Reidm3, 'LSD' (Limited Slip Differential) is a reality in the new Tacoma, not an electronic aid to mimic LSD. Toyota wisely elected to use the ABS brake system to slow or stop spinning tires instead of clutches inside the differential. What is easier and cheaper to replace... brake pads/ shoes or the inside of a differential? Plus, unlike an internal LSD clutched differential, the new Tacoma brake LSD can be turned off so the driver can go to open differential(s) for spinning the tires, if he wants or needs to rock the truck out from a snow bank.

Either system slows down a wheel without traction and diverts torque to the wheel with traction. The new Tacomas have LSD, yes indeed.

ToyotaDriveModes_87a25c97113b2b3243b6cbfa56f7f0ee87901e15.jpg

12. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    kram

kram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    URD Short Shifter TSB Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100s front (1.75") and rear. 285/70/17 Duratrac on Rhino Sidewinders. Weathertech Digifit Floormats
    Thanks David. I'll have to test it out to see at what speed the LSD kicks off at. I have this funny feeling that it was kicking back in when I slowed back down again though which would be cool but I can't remember as I was trying a whole bunch of stuff with little idea what I was doing. Hopefully I get a chance to test it tonight.

Anyone know if you can mod it so that you can stay in LSD at high speeds. Or am I the only one that thinks that would be cool :confused: I'd rather have that than diff locker in high I think. I'm a little concerned that I my wife would accidentally turn it in when it shouldn't be and damage the truck or herself in the process.

13. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Hey, having fun with our trucks is a big part of life, isn't it?

Remember, AUTO LSD is there for taking off... then the system will go into the normal TRAC mode... so you will still have LSD at high speed... it just isn't as strong as AUTO LSD, because it doesn't need to be.

Only by holding the button down while stopped will you not have LSD (VSC Off and Trac Off) for open differentials.

In 2WD, we have three drive mode choices:
    TRAC (normal driving mode) or
    AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF) or
    Open Differential (VSC OFF).

14. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    It has electric LSD and that is better than a manual LSD as it will wear brakes but not steel gears
    They work the same so what is your point ?

15. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    kram

kram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just got back from a quick drive to the physio. It would appear that when using Auto LSD, the VSC will turn back on at 30mph (48km/h).

I think this is actually pretty good. I can keep the Auto LSD on, so that I have LSD for shredding both tires off the line in the wet and hanging the back out around the corners, and then when I'm cruising along further down the road I have the safety come back to save my ass if it all goes pear shaped.

I must sound like a retard on the road, but this is not my usual driving habit. Just glad I know how it all works now so that when the time is right I can get it to respond they way I want. 20 years ago in my old 75 Toyota Corona it was my usual driving habit (minus the pleasure of an LSD) and I'm lucky I didn't harm anyone.

16. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    While in 2WD, AUTO-LSD (Trac Off) mode, VSC will stay disabled under 30mph. If you travel above 30mph, VSC will reactivate itself.

Here is an easy way to remember the differences between TRAC from VSC.

TRAC attempts to detect and control wheel spin.
    VSC attempts to detect and control sideways wheel slides (at speed).

David, my experience is essentially the same. However, things changed for me at higher speeds. For deep sand and at baja speeds, I run H4 with VSC off.

17. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    VSC OFF:

Perhaps if you are talking about running arroyos at speed, like Matomi? I say that because with TRAC (and VSC ) on, the buzzer goes off a lot and gets annoying as you squirrel around in the sandy dry washes!

Happened as we were having fun exploring south of the sulfur mine.

However, while driving around on the beach (with TRAC on), no buzzers... maybe because it was driving so easily, where-as in the arroyos I was puting my foot into it to keep moving (with tires fully inflated).

18. Mar 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Great... driving with all these traction options is fun!

As you learned... some things are out of our over-ride control... For example... we can activate AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF Mode), but only at slower speeds... under 30 mph.
    We also can open our differentials (VSC OFF Mode) for fun or rocking out of a stuck, but only if the yaw rate isn't too great or if we aren't braking.

Seems Toyota has done a lot to try and keep us from having accidents, despite what the news says!

19. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    MEANGREENTACOMA09

MEANGREENTACOMA09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica 09 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    TRD cat back exhaust, rain visors, limo tent on back pasenger windows and 35 percent added to back factory tint window. 35 on front driver and pasenger side. Sport pedals, all weather fl mats, roof rack, front skid plate , BFG ALL TERAINS including spare. ALL installed by dealer.

I have to say the more tools the better. I love having my rear e locker and my atrac. Atrac and the locker can be used together to get you out of situations. It only takes one wheel that can gtet traction to get us unstuck.

20. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

Products Discussed in

To Top