1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too sipe or not too sipe?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by badguybuster, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    any problems?

2. Nov 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The cost is quite minimal. I think alot of it has to do with a tire's intended purpose. Siping is not always beneficial for all applications.

3. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    WATRD

WATRD Keyser Soze

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Duvall, WA
    Vehicle:
    '01 S/C SAS TRD
    WATRD.com
    And across hundreds of thousands of tires, that does add up :p To my point, there is no point in doing it if the tires sell anyway.

But agreed. I am a major siping fan. With my MTRs, siping is the difference between a sure footed trip on the ice and "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride".

4. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I screwed up and edited my post. I would say in all around normal everyday driving siping is great but in certain applications unless it is actually designed into a tire siping is not a good idea.

5. Nov 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    well got my 4x4 and alignment fixed on monday and had them sipe the center tread on my tires. and it ends up snowing today haha i'm heading out right now to see if i tell any difference with the siping. i'll post some pics tomorrow and report back with how i feel about it.

6. Nov 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I siped an older set of tires I ran. It helped a little in wet/snow/ice, but then in the spring/summer I chunked the hell out of the tires and had to replace them by winter. Some if the tread blocks had 1/2 of the rubber missing. :eek:

7. Nov 23, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Just a follow up to this question of Siping...or not. I went ahead and had my "old style" KMs siped by Discount tire a couple of weeks ago. They only did the two center rows of lugs.

I have to say I very glad I did it. In that past couple of days the winter road conditions have been as bad as it gets here is western Wa. We had heavy wet snow followed immediately by a deep freeze. Needless to say, road conditions were treacherous. The vehicles piled in the ditches are testimonial to that.

We did have a couple of days warning that this might happen so I did add a couple hundred pounds of sand bags to the back. The combo seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Amazing traction, no slipping whatsoever.

8. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    WATRD

WATRD Keyser Soze

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Duvall, WA
    Vehicle:
    '01 S/C SAS TRD
    WATRD.com
    I just LOVE a happy ending...

*sniff* :~)

9. Nov 23, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    ya i've been really impressed since i did mine, i usually slip all over the place even in 4x4 because i'm so light, with siping i can manage to drive around in 2 wheel drive and when its in 4x4 it feels like i stick to the road. i'm more than happy with how it turned out. did some hard wheeling in the snow last night with lots of tire spin and didn't notice any chunking either and i was digging down to the rock and mud so again i'm very happy with it too

Products Discussed in

To Top