1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Took the plunge

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 2012SilverSport, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Feb 26, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    2012SilverSport

2012SilverSport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD Sport Double Cab
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    Installed the SO b8pt behind the passenger side back seat. I set it up partially and so far it sounds really good. It has a solid hit when set up right. at first the lower freq's were muddy but some adjustments with the head unit and the sub cleaned it all up. It will not shake your neighbors windows but that is not what i wanted. I adjusted it to add a little hit to the lows and it definately does that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feb 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    Pulled the doors to take a look at the door speakers and compare it to the Polk's
    WOW!!! what a difference! The magnets on the stockers are tiny and the material the cones are made out of is garbage. I am really amazed of the sound that they did make. I cant believe that it was even tollerable. Any speaker would be a huge upgrade to these! I will be installing the brackets and speakers today and then start tuning the system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. Feb 26, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    ^ BAH look at that magnet of the stock speaker!!!! lol bout the size of a quarter Nice install OP! Hope the rest goes well

4. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    Ya, the stockers are a joke!! I did the install in stages partially because it is cold but mostly so that I could note the differences. First I replaced the head unit. I was amazed at the difference just the head unit made. It was a night and day change. The sound was stronger and the level of adjustability helps alot. I was able to make the speakers sound better, not great, but better. They were not so muddy and i didnt have to raise the volume as much. Then I added the amp. It cleaned up the sound and definitely provided a more powerful clearer, crisper sound. I then installed the Subwoofer it helped with the overall sound. It filled in the low's and gave the system quite a kick. Some are saying that they hardly got any base from it. I could see that with a stock headunit. With the Pioneer AVH X5500, and a some simple adjustments it really kicks and gives a good punch.

5. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    King 2.5" Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, 2.5" King Rear Shocks with Compression Adjusters, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 30" LED Lightbar, Ultragauge, Tinted Windows
    Does the ASWC-1 allow you to use the steering wheel controls for the bluetooth phone functions or just volume controls? Also does the usb interface allow you to use the stock usb input?

6. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    All steering wheel functions are working. I did a quick check yesterday as I was finishing up.

The USB interface did not work at all. The connector is wrong for the 2012. I will hard wire it in at a later date. for right now i have the usb cable that came with the X5500 ran to my glove box.

7. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    Finished with the install late last night. The door speakers took some modifications because I soldered everything instead of just plugging in with the crutchfield connectors. It took forever since the wind was blowing and it was very cold. I will eventually replace the stock wiring with good speaker wire. It works good for now though. I would like to mat the doors, but it is currently too cold (mid to high 30's) and would make the job virtually impossible. Once the summer hits and it warms up I will mat the doors and rear bulkhead. I installed the KTP 445U above the glove box on the plastic shelf that is there. It fit perfectly and is held inplace using industrial grade velcro. I didnt want to drill holes in the plastic. It takes like 5 minutes to get to it for adjustment so no big deal. I have the gains set fairly close right now so I am pretty sure that any adjustments necessary can be made using the deck. I played around with it a little yesterday and it sounds so much better than the stock system did. There is a solid but not overbearing thump from the sub and the speakers are incredibly clear and crisp. I will take more pictures during the day to post with everything installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Feb 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    here is a couple of pics of the AVH X5500 during the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mar 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    That looks awesome. Mine should be here any day now. Do you still have all fuctionality of the buttons on your steering wheel? Also, what adapter did you use?

10. Mar 3, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    Thanks PVT Pablo! what deck are you getting? I am able to utilize all functions of the steering wheel. I used the ASWC-1 for the steering wheel interface. Crutchfield has the ASWC which works for the volume controls, but I have read that alot of people had trouble getting the phone functions to work so I went with the ASWC-1. I had to reprogram (reset) it a couple of times since i had the battery connected to test parts of the install and then disconnected again. The first time it did not maintain functions of the bluetooth. the second time it did. there is a section in the instruction manual (in the installing a previously installed ASWC-1 section) that has you holding down the pick up/hang up button for a few seconds once it has self programmed. I missed that the first time. It works like a champ now though. The dash kit is a Metra. It worked well for me but did require me to put my stock clips on it to hold better. It is tight now.

11. Mar 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I ordered the same head unit you have, the AVH-X5500BHS. Heres my parts list, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, Metra Dash Kit (Grey), PAC TATO JBL harness interface, Metra ASWC steering wheel control, and Metra 70-8114 ASCW adapter (so I don't have to splice wires for the steering wheel controls). It looks like we have essentially the exact same setup, except I'm not replacing the speakers (yet) since I have the JBL speakers.

12. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    I have not had any issues with the Metra kit other than it feeling sloppy until i utilized the stock clips. I have not had any issues with the bezel surrounding the hazard button. I did test it a few times to make sure before I replied.

13. Mar 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Beach Taco

Beach Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12' SR5 4x4
    WeatherTech Ventvisors, Dealer Sprayed Underliner, Aries black 3" side bars, Front windows 35% tint
    Looking good man

14. Mar 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    TXED

TXED Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    OME, BFG, ATX, BAKFLIP, LIGHTFORCE, KC, RELENTLESS FAB., PIONEER, ALPINE, HYBRID AUDIO, IMAGE DYNAMICS, MR. MARV
    How do you like the X5500 now that you've had it for a couple weeks? I'm thinking of getting the same head unit. Where did you order it from?

15. Mar 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    roblupo

roblupo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Prerunner
    i am looking for a good DVD player for my taco, does it play DVD while truck is in motion? where and how much did you pay. Thanks

16. Mar 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    I got it from crutch field and I do love it. Does everything I wants and more! No problems with sinking to the android.

17. Mar 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    It can but you must get a parking brake bypass. There is only one that consistently works for the 5500. It is on Amazon and is like $20. Can't rember the name of it right now. I m not at home or I would check the name. I ordered through crutch field and it was 450. It was well worth the price. I know that you can get it a little bit cheaper if you order from other places but I live in Alaska where shipping just the head unit woul have been at least another $70 just for shipping. not to mention all of the other stuff (amp, DXI'S, subwoofer, etc) who knows what shippin would have cost me for all of it. free with crutchfield so overall it was cheaper for me.

18. Mar 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Geosh

Geosh Why yes, I AM a rocket scientist.

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '03 PreRunner DC, 3.4L
    So what do you think of the Alpine KTP-445U? I was thinking of using one to run my new door speakers (JBL GTO components) instead of putting a 4channel amp under my seat. I have seen pretty good reviews on it so far, but just wondering how it worked for you.

19. Mar 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    roblupo

roblupo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Prerunner
  20. Mar 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    roblupo

roblupo Member