1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tooter 2.7 intake manifold spacer...

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by tooter, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    Oh and don't check out chicks while riding, bad bad bad. Ask me how I know lol

2. Nov 18, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Yea I only do that at redlights.
    I flipped my old fourwheeler on its side from daydreaming though. I was going slow and didnt get hurt but it sure scared me.

3. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    kylenotjon

kylenotjon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finished installing my spacer on my 13' regular cab manual 4x4 with stock sized tires and I can definitely say it makes a noticeable difference in the way the truck drives. The engine feels smoother however this may be due to changing the from 0w20 to 5w30. The biggest change for me is that 2nd gear stops lugging at ~1000rpm and is usable from 10mph on up even if going uphill. The engine just feels like it has a little more torque lower in the rpm range.

Things to note when installing the spacer: If you're using the stock intake, the only extra change you'll have to make is lengthening the pcv hose at the rear of the valve cover and everything else will shift 2in to the right. You may have difficulty installing the pcv hose at the rear of the manifold towards the fire wall so you can either extend the stock curvy hose 2in or create a different one altogether. I chose to make a new one with some 5/16 hose, 3/8 hose, and a brass hose adapter to connect the different sizes. I made the hose 12+in long so I could loop it around as space is incredibly tight back there. If I were to do it again, I'd connect the rear hose to the manifold and metal bracket before fully installing the manifold. This way you won't be lying on your back shoving your whole arm up there.

Overall, I think the spacer is worth it. I can also help with any questions related to the install.

EDIT: I also have an LCE header and AFE filter installed so those of you with stock trucks may have a different experience.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Hofmann’s Tacos likes this.
  4. Nov 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    toyodajeff

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Thats pretty sweet. I didnt know it would work with the stock intake.

5. Nov 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    tooter

tooter [OP] play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    As far as I know, it still doesn't because no one has yet figured out how to make it fit with the throttle body moved 2 inches to the right.

0b4f7bcf-06aa-4fab-ab10-61e7049e85fe_zps_0a21089d86d3f8cc504e318d4e9c752d8fd508ed.jpg

Got any ideas? Post 'em here. ;)

Greg

6. Nov 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    My experience is the same. It pulls nicely right from idle without wanting to die, and makes low speed maneuvers like backing up a hill in reverse much easier. And it was likely the fresh oil. My engine didn't run any smoother.

I did something similar...
    And even tried to start the engine not knowing that I had forgotten to connect that rubber hose in back of the manifold! I had to take everything apart and do it all over again. :frusty:

Running that rear hose in a long loop and connecting it first, before bolting on the manifold is the best way to go. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  7. Nov 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    kylenotjon

Member:
    The stock intake WILL work, it'll just be under a bit of tension due to stretching the intake pipe after the filter and you won't be able to use the 3 bolts in the valve cover. You'll also have to extend the pcv hose at the back of the valve cover. That's all you have to do to use the stock intake.

8. Nov 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    kylenotjon

Member:
    Definitely do this so you don't get your arms all scratched up.

9. Nov 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for clearing that up, Kyle. Glad to hear it. :)

I got confused when you said you had an AFE filter, and mistakenly thought you were referring to a complete AFE intake.

Greg

10. Nov 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Scared is good because it's a warning that can save you from something worse.

And there's something else I only do at red lights when lines of vehicles are completely stopped... and that's lanesplitting. I just can't bring myself to do it when vehicles are moving because you never know when someone is going to suddenly decide to change lanes. Vehicles that can't move are safe so that's when You can travel at roughly twice the speed of city traffic by using every red light as an opportunity to move to the front of the line.:)

11. Nov 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    toyodajeff

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Yeah I don't lane split, but I'm pretty sure its against the law in Ga anyways.

12. Nov 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Surprizingly it's actually legal in California. One of the few things that is.

13. Nov 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    toyodajeff

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Yea thats what I was thinking when you mentioned it. Ga has a law that california doesn't kinda odd, we have helmet laws to. The old guys on harley's mostly wear those cheap non DOT half helemts though.
    About 2 years ago they finally passed a law requiring pickup drivers to wear seatbelts. Were about 40yrs behind the rest of the nation.

14. Nov 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    Someone should make a full write up on this install, with pics :)

15. Nov 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    This is as good a place as any to start. :)
    From my own installation these are the main points.

Throttle body electric plug.
    Throttle body coolant hoses.
    The two lower support rods.
    Hose support clamps.
    Rear intake manifold hose

Let me know which of these you want to know about and I'll take each one individually with pictures even if some were already addressed earlier in the thread.

Greg

16. Nov 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    It's actually labeled lane sharing and cars do it all the time, like wanting to make a right turn and sliding in next to a car that's waiting for a light to go straight. As for splitting on a bike at speed, been doing it for 20+ accident-free years, but I have had a few cars attempt to end that.

17. Nov 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC, SR5, 2.7L, Auto

Not necessarily a bad thing to be 40 years behind! .....I ride in north GA at least once a year, sometimes several times a year. Usually stay in Blairsville, or up at Murphy. Great riding. Not as good as it was 15 years ago, but still great. Oh, and I wear a DOT/Snell rated 3/4 helmet on my HD. Keep threatening to go full face, but haven't done it yet.

18. Nov 21, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I hear you. I compensate for getting older by taking fewer risks. That way I can keep on riding. ;)

Greg

19. Nov 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    holokai

holokai Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner SR5 Access Cab
    Installed: OEM Bed Mat, Secondary Air Filter Delete/AFE/stock CAI elbow mod, LEDs ( Rear License Plate, Map, and Dome Lights), Ceramic Tint (Front 35%, Rear 27ish%), Viper Security, Image Dynamics Front Components, 4 channel Arc Audio Amp (rear channels bridged for sub), Kicker CVT 6.5 (yes, it's a tiny sub but it's enough to keep me happy), Headunit (Bluetooth and iPod/Pandora), EGR Window Visors, OEM Door Sill Protectors, Roll-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Fog Lights with 2500k bulbs, UltraGauge EM, Spidertrax spacers, Smittybilt Side Steps, Tooter 2.7 Intake Manifold Spacer Upcoming: LCE Headers?
    I drive a '12 PreRunner access cab AUTO and just installed the spacer on my truck last week.

All of the installation issues I've run into have already been discussed in previous posts.

Got a chance to drive the truck out to the other side of the island and the spacer definitely made a difference. There's a long uphill stretch on one of the freeways that usually has the truck hunting gears; not a problem this time :) Furthermore, upshifts aren't as harsh as the shifted torque curve keeps the engine from bogging at the lower/post-shift RPMs.

The only issue I've noticed is an initial rattle upon startup due to the resonator now floating. Per Greg (Tooter), I'm planning on putting some silicone on the bottom of the resonator to reduce/eliminate the rattle.

Engine mods are very minor and include the following:

Resonator delete/elbow mod
    Secondary/charcoal filter delete
    AFE drop in filter

Just changed the plugs and oil per OEM spec. The goal of my modifications is to make the daily driving experience better and the spacer definitely helps to achieve that goal.

Anyone got LCE headers for sale? :p

20. Nov 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    sweet good news to hear. once toyota does some warranty work for me on dec 4th i wanna get this suckah in! Ill relay my experience.

Products Discussed in

To Top