1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tooter 2.7 intake manifold spacer...

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by tooter, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jul 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Gotcha'.

I thought the spacer looked like aluminum, but I misread your finish description as "Stainless, bead blasted"... I didn't recognize the lack of the comma because in my experience, it has simply been referred to as "bead blasted".

2. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    tooter

tooter [OP] play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    Stainless steel bead blasting is a relatively new process. I could only find one merchant on the internet who sold the beads in quantities less than 2,000 pounds.

Unlike sand which has jagged edges which roughly imprint the aluminum and which the particles shatter with use, stainless steel beads are round and durable, and the more they are used, the more smooth and polished they become and the smoother better surface they produce without removing any metal. Like tiny ball peen hammers, the beads pummel the surface to a kind of smooth pearly matte surface which normalizes the stresses incurred by forming or machining.

(a combination throttle body base and bellmouth for an experimental manifold I'm designing)

[​IMG]

If there are stainless steel beads between an aluminum part sitting on a flat surface, it frictionlessly moves around on it like it is floating on water! :)

3. Jul 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  4. Jul 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's a beautiful finish!

5. Jul 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    On nothing else, I'll give you a 99% A+++ rating on the pictures in this thread.

Very well done.

6. Jul 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I like the attention to detail.

Looking forward to the finished product.

ks

7. Jul 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    The engineers at Origin Design in Santa Monica, California who make my parts are totally responsible for the exquisite detail. All I have is ideas. They're the ones who make them real. I'd be nothing without them. :thumbsup:

8. Jul 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Regardless. +1 for posting them here.

9. Jul 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, man. :)

10. Jul 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    I'm so excited. :) The spacer design is almost done. Presenting...

TOOTER II.VII

( ta da... :) )

[​IMG]

This pic has the correct logo position facing outwards from the engine. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  11. Jul 29, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC, SR5, 2.7L, Auto
    Looks really good!

12. Jul 29, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, :)
    I should have the prototype in my hands in a week. Then I'll figure out what kind of longer bolts to use to install it. There are also two points of attachment at the bottom of the intake manifold that will need 2 inch spacers...

[​IMG]

...so I'm thinking of cutting a couple of sections of metal tubing with washers at each end and pass a longer bolt through them.

The Injen intake will simply move along with the new position of the throttle body. I specifically got this intake as it has no relocation issues...

IMG_7195_zpsc03b324b_c6ec04b718a9d40eaccb485cec38fafd97929a5e.jpg

13. Jul 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Looking for mounting hardware, I couldn't find any M8-1.25x90mm flange head hex bolts so I got M8 threaded studs with matching flange head nuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is going to work better anyway as the spacer and manifold can both hang on the studs and will easily remain in position while bolting them on. That's why the factory puts studs at each end of the intake manifold, for easy assembly.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Just a brief update...
    The spacer needed an extra long bit to be able to reach deep enough to shape 2 inch thick material. That part comes in today, and cutting on the first tooter II.VII should start tomorrow. :bananadance:
    This project began on July 11th, so if everything goes as planned I should have the prototype installed this Sunday the 11th...

...exactly ONE month! :thumbsup:

Then comes the fun of driving around to see how it feels, and to let the ECU learn the new operating parameters. After a week or so, next comes a trip to Harry's dyno shop for some runs. I'll have both the baseline dyno run and the tooter II.VII run overlayed on the same graph for easy comparison. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  15. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    :popcorn:

I don't even have a 4 banger... Just interested in seeing how you make out.:D

16. Aug 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    So am I, Homer! ;)

I sure can't claim to have originated the idea, only of following an ordered set of protocols to implement it.

2 inches is a significant change in runner length. It's four times more than the 6 cylinder spacer. If in dyno testing it proves to be too drastic, I can always have one inchers made.

The LCE header already lowered the torque peak from 3,800rpm to 3,300rpm while yielding decent torque gains. So if the spacer could move the peak down to 3,000rpm even with minimal torque gains, that would be just fine. 3,000rpm is 75mph on the freeway which is as fast as I ever go.

By the way, I really respect how you do business here, and am happy for your well deserved success.

Greg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  17. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Cutting on the first tooter II.VII has begun this evening!... :bananadance:

[​IMG]

18. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Man, I don't even begin to think that far ahead when I still have no idea if they'll even work. The physical principle is sound, but vague optimistic claims just don't cut it. I need to see some real dyno numbers first, and then decide whether to go ahead or throw in the towel.

There are always other unknowns, such as will the wiring and coolant lines still make it to the relocated throttle body? It's also going to cause issues for all of the cold air boxes, which will require a silicone coupling somewhere along the line to add an extra 2 inches to the length. I'll know more by this Sunday when I should have it in hand, and begin the process of installation. :)

Greg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  19. Aug 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Let's just wait and see if it works first... ;)

I just don't want to get ahead of myself conjecturing on this, and so I'm taking each step in its proper order:

1. Design
    2. Build
    3. Test
    4. Manufacture
    5. Sell

Right now step #2 is almost completed.

I noted that there is a reluctance to dyno test the 6 cylinder spacer now that it is already being sold without ever having been tested. What happens now if it's tested and shows only miniscule gains, or even worse, no gains at all? That carries a potential risk of embarrassment, so that reluctance is totally understandable and it's much better not to test at all. That situation is easily avoided by not doing #5 without first doing #3.

Another situation to avoid is doing #5 before #4. It's better not to take people's money for something that doesn't yet exist and then make them wait a long time before they get it. That's actually a common European business model where advance paid orders are taken before production actually takes place. I'd rather not go down that road either.

Greg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  20. Aug 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    tooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    The Ports and O ring gasket channels are done... :)

photo3_zpsa7d71a4a_b2f79e978b8bfdd4f771e7ccf631dbc3f3b8c0ff.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top