1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

topper camper shell cap locks freezing up

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by "OldManTan", Feb 18, 2010.

1. Feb 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab, Radiant Red
    Pioneer HU, Duratracs on Black stockers, Century topper with custom electronic lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Foglight Mod, Always on 12v Plugs, Sub & Amp, LED Interior Lights, Cup Holder Mod, Andres Devil Horns, CB radio, steps, relocated trailer harness, blacked out everything!!
    I am sick of the locks on my cap always freezing up. I have tried my best to keep them lubed and use the lock deicer too. Leaving them unlocked is not an option. I have searched online and on here and have yet to find anyone who has installed a DIY electric lock solution. I found this on e-bay and seems a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400103262044&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=4663860111b0a0435981ab01fffa9aed&rvr_id=&ua=WXI7&itemid=400103262044

I have the dual handles so I would need an extra actuator or fab up some sort of bars connecting the two. I am not concerned about the wiring as much as the fab work and best way to make it work, and work well. I also can't have the system failing on me. One reason why I don't like the above remote and would feel better with a hard wired switch inside the cab. Just wondering if anyone has done it or have some good ideas on how to do it. Thanks as always for everyones input, this is a great sight with some great people!! :cool:

2. Feb 18, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad
    TRD S/C, Icon Coilovers, TC UCA, Icon RR Shocks, Demello hybrid sliders, Alcan leaf pack, Black FJ SE wheels, 265/75-16 Revo's, ARB CKMTA12 OBA, All-Pro front & rear plate bumpers, All-Pro IFS skid plate, Warn 9.5xp
    I had a problem with mine freezing. Now I use a dry teflon lubricant for bicycle chains that works great. I just give everything a squirt every 3 months or so. Haven't had a problem since.

3. Feb 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab, Radiant Red
    Pioneer HU, Duratracs on Black stockers, Century topper with custom electronic lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Foglight Mod, Always on 12v Plugs, Sub & Amp, LED Interior Lights, Cup Holder Mod, Andres Devil Horns, CB radio, steps, relocated trailer harness, blacked out everything!!
    Actually I did try the exact same thing last time I lubed them, and still frozen. And I mean by ice not corrosion.

4. Feb 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad
    TRD S/C, Icon Coilovers, TC UCA, Icon RR Shocks, Demello hybrid sliders, Alcan leaf pack, Black FJ SE wheels, 265/75-16 Revo's, ARB CKMTA12 OBA, All-Pro front & rear plate bumpers, All-Pro IFS skid plate, Warn 9.5xp
    [quote="OldManTan";1449092]Actually I did try the exact same thing last time I lubed them, and still frozen. And I mean by ice not corrosion.[/quote]

Bummer. Last year we got alot of freezing rain and teens to low-20's weather and I didn't have any issues at all with the dry teflon (Finish Line).

To Top