1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tore my ACL, Surgery on the 22nd!

Discussion in 'Health' started by luk8272, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Looking for some input. I'll be in and out in a few hours I am told. They won't be getting a graph from me, it'll be a donar. Any input on what I can expect will be appreciated.

The hardest part for me will be the first month after the surgery. They said I won't be able to walk on it. Whew I am ready to get this done.

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    bummer luke, wish the best for you.

3. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    Had my right acl repaired about 10 years ago. The hardest part was the rehab afterwords. I had to have some kind of machine that flexed and extended my knee that I had to lay down and use 8 hours per day and my wife had to keep putting ice in the machine and I think she was ready to leave me after a week or 2 of that thing. Plus rehab (weights, and some electric stimulation to wake my leg muscles up). Looking back...I'm glad I had it repaired, that knee is now much stronger than my left knee. Good luck!!

4. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Damn dude...I hope you feel better after all this. Good luck.

5. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.

Wow how did you do tear yours? I hope thats not how every one has to heal? I was told I have a minor tear. I injured it back in august, and only have issues with movements at an angle and when I try to run. Needless to say it cut out a lot of my activities though.

6. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Sorry to hear that! The technology today is amazing tho. Much different from when I tore my ACL many years ago when I was 19. (yeah I'm an old lady ;)) Mine was repaired via a hamstring graft and after a very lengthy recovery got back to lead a very active life. You will too!

Keep your legs strong so your muscles do not atrophy. Also ice is your friend :) As mentioned, they get your knee moving much more quickly today so you do not lose range of motion plus the operation in itself is less invasive which equals less trauma on the joint. I think the fact you are not having either a patella tendon or hamstring graft will speed your recovery. Did your doctor say that or why he was going with the donor graft?

I just had surgery on the same knee this August to clean out some debris and evaluate its status. Even after all those years, the knee came right back and I skied a couple of weeks ago. The body and its recovery process is amazing.
    I wish you the best Luke, try to stay positive and this too shall pass, soon you will be good as new! Plus keep us posted on your status.

7. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I tore mine playing "flag" football, trying to act like I was a teenager again :(.
    It was a complete tear though so maybe that's why the post-op stuff was so intense. Hopefully yours will be quick and not too much rehab after. It is still worth it I think, especially if you are young.

8. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:

I don't buy the old lady stuff! Its all about how you feel.
    The doctor said like you assume that having a donor will quicken the recovery time. He has laid it out like this, 1 month no walking on it while wearing a brace, 1 month wearing the brace with light walking on it. No carrying stuff or acting the fool. Then after that it is a person to person issue. I am in very good shape, which is a great plus, the doctor seemed excited for me. However on the down side is I don't mind pain much, I feel that may hurt me. However I am very concerned about my knee and being able to play with my little girl in the yard again. I'll be on my best behavior.

Don't feel bad I was directing traffic on one of those Air jump water slides for my daughter and her cousins birthday party. Keeping 8 5yr olds from wrecking, somehow I moved wrong.

Hopefully we never stop acting like teenagers! and Thanks to everyone wishing me the best. I'm not concerned about the surgery just hoping in the future it will be just as good a knee that it was in the past. Everything else I have busted in the past gives me greif every now and then.

List of accidents:
    Cuccussion
    Broken collar bone
    3 broken rims (not at same time)
    Fractured ankle
    Dislocated Wrist
    Dislocated shoulder
    Broken fingers and toes
    Whip lash
    5th vertibrate in back all jacked up
    5th vertibrate in neck cock eyed
    Broken Jaw (3 places)
    Now Torn ACL.

9. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    npsranger

npsranger Member

Member:
    Mountains
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    ARE Truck Cap, Yakima Roof Racks, dropped the running boards, Avid Off-Road Bull Bar, KC Lights, BedRug, K&N Filter, LEDs in Center Console.
    I tore my acl in my right knew eight years ago. It was a bit different than yours though. I had a compete tear due to dislocating it. Instead of having a donor ligament, I had a hamstring graph.

Regardless of technique, or graph, etc., the most important thing comes after the surgery, REHAB. Be patient with your knee, and with your progress. You may want to rush it because you get sick of sitting around, I can't stress this more --- do not rush it. The more you rehab, lift weights, ice, and give your knee a chance to heal, the better.

I stayed in my immobilizer for about 4-5 weeks before they began to allow me add degrees of bend to my brace, and was allowed to walk with partial weight (like 10% weight). This may seem quite slow/conservative, but boy am I glad for the Doc's and Physical Therapists for keepin' it slow.

However, do not let any of what I've wrote or anyone else scare you. The surgery is easy to recover from, and can actually be a great thing because by the time you're done both of your legs will be strong, and probably like tree stumps due to all the rehab and weight lifting. By taking it slow and steady I have had NO problems at all, and as Ranger being on my feet all day in the mountains, I rely on my legs.

On the reverse side - I had a friend in knee rehab who rushed things and returned to sports/hiking to soon after surgery and he tore it again. He allowed only 6 months to pass before he went back to playing backyard football and backpacking. He didn't realize the amount of stress that we put on our legs everyday, not just in sports, and when he tore it the 2nd time and he returned to the Doc his Doc told him, "Are you going to listen to me this time, or are you gonna be bonehead - go slow."

If you need help/advice with it, PM me anytime!!

Stay strong.

10. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    x2...I tore mine 8 yrs. ago on a Sunday playing basketball, felt three pops :eek: tore my ACL & Lateral & Medial Collateral Ligaments also tore up some Meniscus (see picture) and my kneecap was off to one side. MAJOR twist. That same week (get this) on a Thursday my wife gave birth to my daughter, and my son was 2 years old at the time, needless to say she was pissed :rant: what a year THAT was.:rolleyes: They ONLY fixed my ACL the DR. said sense I am not in PRO Sports I did'nt need to fix my lateral & medial ligaments. It has healed completely and is stronger then my left knee.But hey like everyone else says this to will pass and be strong!! By the way I'm going to be running a 10K this saturday:D You too will be up and around in no time!! My best advice to you, REHAB,REHAB and be patient with your progress!!! Keep us posted on your progress!!

leg.jpg

11. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I am already beating it into my head how slow I need to take this. Thanks for your reinforcement.!!

12. Feb 27, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I had surgery on the 22nd of Feb, just 5 days ago. After the surgery the doc said my knee looked great and was in excellent health. However by the MRI and how I behaved he would have never guessed I had such a bad tear. He is extremely happy with how things went, took about 2 hrs.
    Back at home pain is not very much, I had a pain pump in a pouch that was in the top of my thigh near my groin about an 1" deep. Dripped fluids to kill the pain for 72 hrs. I then pulled it out this past wednesday. No difference in pain so far, it had been leaking a great deal so I don't think I was getting much.
    Went to the doctor on the 26th and he said I am moving way more than he expected. Seems I am doing a great job of taking care of it. Well theirs my update for now.

13. Feb 27, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Do the rehab..that is the most important thing other than the dr doing it right. I have had 2 ACL replaced. 98 and 2004. Good luck.

14. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Sounds like you are doing great!.
    Keep up the good work don't try to set a new world record for recovery.
    If you tear it doing too much you will be back to square one.
    I had that damm 8hr knee flex machine for a while. I did 4 hours first thing when I got up and 4 hours in the late afternoon. That thing is a bore fest!!!.
    Keep up the good work!!

15. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    Call0043

Call0043 just cant leave anything stock !

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Chesapeake Va.
    baby seat, BHLM, satoshi, stubbs sliders, full OME suspension with extra leaf,black fog light mod , debagged,
    just take it easy and finish the rehab all the way . take some glucasamine chrondriition everyday and don't walk around to much

16. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    So far all I do is relax on the sofa, and then move to a different chair. I have a hinged brace on but am not doing any rehab.

That brings me to my question. When should one start to rehab a knee after surgery? I am of the thinking that if scar tissue starts to form it limit my mobility. My doctor doesen't seem to think I need to worry about it and actually hasn't answered my questions about it.

I'm also looking at being off of work for atleast 4 months. Not because the healing will be so slow but the work doesn't offer light duty.

17. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    i've had acl reconstruction in both knees now. just had my left on fixed up this past september. i started rehab 7 days after surgery.

18. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    I tore my left ACL & had some meniscus damage in Sept of 09, almost 6 months ago. I had a pettela tendion graph. The first week was absolute hell for me! I had the pain pump & apparentlly they missed my nerve when they put it in, it never worked & they told me I could be admitted & they would give me an epidural in my spine for a few days or could go home & fight it out on vicodin, so I went home in pretty bad pain. After that it was not so bad, the physical therapy sucks but it is worth it. Now my knee feels great! Get up & get moving! I only missed 1-1/2 days from work from my surgery. Had it on a friday & was able to work a half day on Monday. If you just lay around it is going to get stiff & more painful. I started physical therapy 1 week after the surgery.Good luck in your recovery.

19. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    bigskyguy

bigskyguy High priest of the obvious

Member:
    Big Sky, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma trd crew LB & 1999 toy L.C.
    Bull bar-nerf bars-leer canopy-
    Luk. Sorry to hear about your ACL. I tore mine last march and had surg. in June of last year. I went with my hamstring as a donor. I was put into rehab the day following surg. and was mowing my lawn in my brace the third day after surg. I ski pretty hard and almost every day (chairlift mechanic). I would do what your Dr. says but for me it was all about Mtn. biking. I was hitting the dirt roads at about three to four weeks out and rode the white rim trail in Utah (120 miles) at six monthes out. At first skiing was a bit wierd just because my left leg was stronger than my right but after a few falls I feel pretty stong with it (no more cliff drops). I am lucky as I live in a ski town so there are alot of rehab options with very good equip. Mabey call around to some of the PT places in your area and see what they think. One more thing, eat healthy!!! No junk food. Premium gas makes for speedy recovery!

Good luck with the healing.

20. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys for the input. I enjoy having different opinions.

My knee is still wraped and bandaged and I still have the stitches in. I move my knee all day even though I am on the sofa. I also eat pretty well all the time, I'm very active or was very active until this happened. I teach Martial Arts so I am fairly healthy. I'll certainly call around to see what kind of rehab is avaliable in my area.

Products Discussed in

To Top