1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torn Menicus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pinchetaco, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Aug 23, 2017 at 3:45 PM
    LogCabins

LogCabins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 3.4L 4WD
    Had this exact surgery last year, tore meniscus on both sides of left knee....got the surgery on a Wed, was walking without crutches that Fri. Recovery time was pretty quick, just don't over due it within the first month or 2 but make sure you get some movement to it (don't full on baby it) but your surgeon will tell you all this. Most of us that are "active" will have issues in the knees, lower back, hips as with age/degeneration in the form of arthritis. Just stretch a lot stay active blah blah you will be fine...point is the surgery was fast in all facets so nothing to worry about

2. Aug 23, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    Taco man17

Taco man17 Virginia Good Ol' Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off-road 2017
    Truck cap , husky liners, deflector shield, ARE truck cap.
    I saw a doc. In Richmond Va at Tuckahoe Ortho. For what's it worth.

3. Aug 23, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    Get the surgery. I had it a few years ago, never took a single pain pill after surgery. Knee feels great

4. Aug 23, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    DukesTaco

DukesTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Double cab Pre Runner
    Beast mode

pinchetaco[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 23, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    Thank you for your service Sir !!!

When i hurt my R/knee in 1982 in the Marines I had to get out because my Navy Doctor said I wouldn't be the same and since we had PFT's I wouldn't be able to do them anymore

I was medically discharged for a service connected injury in 1984 , I wish I could have stayed in . I got out as a E4 and could have been a E5 within a couple months

6. Aug 23, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I can certainly understand what happened to you. In 1984-87, as a Captain, I got assigned to an ROTC detachment. My first summer, I was sent down to Fort Bragg to serve as a Platoon TAC Officer for the advanced camp. One of my cadets was a 4 year scholarship winner who had deferred his camp until his senior year - so he had already graduated and only had to complete camp satisfactorily to be commissioned. He had the same operation I'd had before getting his scholarship and passed his physical before entering the program 4 years prior. AT his pre-commissioning physical at Fort Bragg, the standards had changed and they released him as not medically qualified and sent him home. He was devastated.

I actually started out in Marine PLC in 1974 as a Naval Flight Officer track candidate. Went to my first 6 week session that summer at Quantico. All of the Services were letting people go as they cut down post Vietnam and there were too many cadets in the flight track. So, 40 of us got told we had "borderline high blood pressure." 3 times a day we had to go see a Corpsman and have our BP checked. Magically, every time, we were 140/80 which, we found out, was the cut line for flight. I got sent home as NPQ'd for flight but told I could re-sign for ground track. I was so pissed off at being lied to that I refused. A few months later, I received a letter from Selective Service - I was in the last year group to get a draft sequence number (57) but they weren't drafting at that point - telling me that I was 4F, not medically qualified for military service. 2 years later, when I went through my physical at Fort Bragg for Army ROTC that and my knee surgery almost got me thrown out. Fortunately, they needed junior officers by then and the doctor asked me if I played any sports - I said yes - and he pounded a stamp that read "Combat Arms Qualified" on my physical. :rofl:

Thank you for your Service, as well!! I was blessed and honored to serve.

US Marine[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 23, 2017 at 5:14 PM
    pinchetaco

pinchetaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco 6 inch ProComp Lift 35's
    6 inch ProComp Lift, 35s, ProComp Wheels, 4.88 gears, Debadged, BHLM, Dome Light Mod, Trailer Plug Relocated
    I should've seen this coming. Been running long distances since I was 10, 6 yrs in the military, now hear I am. guess I've gotten good use out of these 33 yr old knees

Devious6 likes this.
  8. Sep 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    6 inch ProComp Lift, 35s, ProComp Wheels, 4.88 gears, Debadged, BHLM, Dome Light Mod, Trailer Plug Relocated
    Little update, had the surgery this afternoon. Went well and the doc says to put weight on it and move around. Do what your knee allows basically. I just slow walked to the bathroom so I'm feeling good about it so far. Just gotta keep it iced and do the exercises they told me to do

9. Sep 9, 2017 at 8:01 AM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    All wrapped up. Can't take this off until Wednesday IMG_1469.jpg

SalmonTaco likes this.
  10. Sep 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    I had a torn meniscus in my left knee years ago, got it fixed, works great now. Recovery was faster than I expected. Now my right knee is starting to do the same crap, probably get it cut on at some point.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery @pinchetaco !!!

pinchetaco[OP] likes this.
  11. Sep 9, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    I am definitely surprised how it feels at the moment. Way different than I expected

dexterdog likes this.
  12. Sep 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I never had mine fully wrapped like that. Crazy. You are basically healing from the incisions and having instruments jammed in your knee. You should be pretty good after a few days.

You will see football players out for the season due to a torn meniscus. They actually have the tear surgically repaired unlike the majority that just have it trimmed.

13. Sep 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, so far I feel ok. Feels a little funny when I am walking. Like the leg is unstable. They told me to take the ace wrap off 5 days after surgery which is tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that. I've been doing the exercises they gave me, which are calf pumps(pointing my toes), leg raises, quad sets(pumping my leg basically), and putting the heel of my foot on the opposite leg and pushing it from my foot up to my knee repeatedly. They said do these exercises for 20 min 3 times a day.

Devious6 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top