1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Total Chaos UCA Problem

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by masshole taco, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    masshole taco

masshole taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    So my truck failed state inspection this week.. Front left wheel bearing... OR SO I THOUGHT... I brought it to the dealer as its still under warranty and they state the bearing is fine... The TC UCA has a bolt goind down in throught the knuckle and apparently that is extremely loose... I mean to the point where I shouldn't of been driving it.. .The bolt either snapped inside the knuckle or elongated the hole.. They're taking it apart now and seeing what happenend... TC wants pictures of what's going on... I just bought this back in May so I'm not happy at all..

2. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    Probably wasn't torqued correctly and had play for quite awhile . Doubt you snapped that bolt . Or maybe uniballs were installed backwards .

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Most likely the lack of torque. Can't really istall a Uniball backwards on a TC UCA, unless you put them on upside down.

That or he did not install the sleeve that is suppose to go between the UCA bolt and the spindle. :notsure:

4. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    I have the dealer snapping pics and I'll post up here once I get them.. .My buddy who did the inspection was telling me I shouldn't even drive it to the dealer as there was so much play in it but I was assuming it was the wheel bearing and since it was under warranty I was like hell yeah they're replacing it for free... LOL..

5. Mar 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Well per the dealer, and the attached pictures the bolt inside the uca had stripped threads.. Sounds to me that they used an impact wrench or something and just torqued the crap out of it and stripped the threads.. that's my only idea??? Now... I've had this lift since June... Who pays for the new bolt and the new knuckle.. I'm voting dealer.. see attached.

image.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg

6. Mar 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ramona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB PreRunner MGM SR5 Debadged
    Trac Performance built Prerunner
    Who installed UCA's?

7. Mar 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    The installer would pay for it. Maybe they torqued the bolt while the vehicle was suspended, then lowered the truck (supposed to torque it on it's own weight) causing the failure, who knows.

8. Mar 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    dealer did.. that's what I'm thinking too... Problem is now I need a new nut bolt, and I would like a new knuckle and I want the dealer to pay the $$$

9. Mar 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Harbor Freight 110v welder garage fab parts.

LOL, bumper to bumper safety inspections, get ready Cali drivers were next.

10. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Just to give everyone an update.. it turns out the bolt inside the balljoint was completely worn.. threads were worn right off it.. had to get a new grade 8 nut and bolt and have two sleeves overnighted from total chaos.. Pat over at Total Chaos is awesome if anybody ever needs something definetly contact him.. getting the truck back today and getting it reinspected.. what a pain in the ASS..

To Top